If I were to go to a session....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mdutr0
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

If I were to go to a session....

Post by mdutr0 »

If I were to go to a session, what are some fairly common tunes that I would be expected to know? I'm trying to learn some new songs, but need some guidance.

Thanks.

Micah
Once you go Hoover, you never go back.

Winner, Honorable Mention, 2003 "Excellence in C&F Posting"
"Need assistance in ingoring the rules? I can help!"
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Here is an easy one: don't call it a "song" unless it has words. They're tunes.

Get Chieftains I-IX, Bothy Band, Planxty. (there are lots more to recommend) Learn the tunes off those records and you'll have a store of hackneyed session tunes.
/Bloomfield
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I agree with Bloomfield, not only are they great cd's but they're played a lot. If you don't want to get the cds just email me and I will give you a fe names of the songs on their cds.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I agree with Bloomfield, not only are they great cd's but they're played a lot. If you don't want to get the cds just email me and I will give you a fe names of the songs on their cds.
mdutr0

Post by mdutr0 »

Can't afford to buy things really. I am an unemployed college student. Names of tunes would be great though...

Thanks.

Micah

Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/folk/acoust ... unch.shtml

here is a neat site with tunes, and even a session to play with!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Many sessions have a list, introduce yourself to a few folks and ask if they have an old copy laying around.

The best thing to do is record a few sessions and learn the tunes off that. That way you pick up any local variations.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Songs....tunes....whatever....if its music its songs. Sigh...*has to have words to be called a song!!*

If you want to go to a session then just go. Don't worry about "terms" or "what songs to know". Just grab a whistle (or a few) and go. Sessions are supposed to be fun, relaxing, and a POSTIVE learning experience; Not met your 4th grade grammar teacher all over again.

:thumbsup:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Sage wrote:Songs....tunes....whatever....if its music its songs. Sigh...*has to have words to be called a song!!*

If you want to go to a session then just go. Don't worry about "terms" or "what songs to know". Just grab a whistle (or a few) and go. Sessions are supposed to be fun, relaxing, and a POSTIVE learning experience; Not met your 4th grade grammar teacher all over again.

:thumbsup:
Well, I thought they were supposed to be fun for the others at the session, too... ;)
/Bloomfield
mdutr0

Post by mdutr0 »

Thanks ladies and gents! I'm in NYC so it shouldn't be too hard to find one. Maybe I'll just go.

Micah

Caj

Post by Caj »

mdutr0 wrote:Can't afford to buy things really. I am an unemployed college student. Names of tunes would be great though...
Then go listen to the session! It's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Plus, it's the best way to learn what tunes are typically played at that session. If you can not recognize the tunes, you can politely ask one of the players during a break if they have a tune list, or for the names of a couple typical tunes.

Now, I'm talking about going as a spectator, not joining in unannounced. Not all sessions are open to beginners, not all sessions are open at all, and in any case it is a good idea to ask first. I would recommend not bringing a musical instrument at all until you've at least witnessed the session a couple times, to get a rough idea of who runs the show, what kind of stuff they play, etc.

A nice web site is sessioneer.com, which has a list of sessions in your area, and some notes on session etiquette.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Bring a recorder with you by all means (minidisc or tape, not one of those unspeakable things with too many holes in them), but before setting it up explain that you just want to use it to learn the tunes that are played at the session. That way you won't be treated like an intrusive tourist in your own town.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
McHaffie

ruh roh..

Post by McHaffie »

Yup, check out all the cool stuff above (michael... you're post stuttering again :D)
and don't worry about it too much... I am hosting the very first hoolie (jam session) at the downtown Churchills in my area on this coming Monday night.

NONE of us have played with the other before, we've not had a chance to practice... and that's the point... no worries, if nobody knows the same tune as another (which is highly unlikely... I'm sure there will be at least one!!! LOL) then everyone starts doing solos, and 99.9% chance someone will go "Ohhhhhhhhhhh I know THAT one, I thought it was called...." and join right in.

It's a session... nothin to say but WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Have fun and let us know how it goes for sure!!!

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Check out www.thesession.org and go to the 'Recordings' section. You'll find music for lots and lots of popular tunes.
The suggestion to just go the session, listen and record the session is the best though.
My recommendation... go the session and just listen for a couple months. Get a sense for the way the music works, the people playing, the session dynamics, what tunes are being played, etc. Record these sessions and work on the tunes at home.
When you really feel like you can contribute something to the session then introduce yourself and ask nicely whether they mind if you join in.
The truth is, however, that terminology, knowledge of tunes and proper playing do matter alot. Contrary to popular (and ill informed) opinion, a session is not just a jam session and people will not be too psyched to have you there if you play poorly, don't understand the music, play bad tunes or use the wrong terminology. Some people here will probably yell and say 'But a session is just about having fun!' Well... yes, but not entirely. It's also about playing good Irish music.
Another thing to do is to look for a beginner's session in your area. There are always other people who are learning how to play, and it can be really nice to sit down and work on tunes together, try to figure out the music, chat and make friends.
Best,
Chris
whamlyn

Post by whamlyn »

Well put Chris!

This is a little off topic I suppose but something well worth noting. Sessions can be funny things, on the surface they tend to look very casual, informal, not really structured, and in a lot of ways that is true, but once you get into it most people take them very seriously. Part of the fun of a session is in meeting people who share a common interest/passion but a very serious part of it is in making the music... and making it sound good.

The session I attend, people are supportive of new players and accept that not everyone is a Kevin Burke or a Joanie Madden... at least not in the beginning. Heck, if I hadn't received the positive support I did the first time I went to a session I'd probably still be sitting in my basement whistling "Danny Boy" thinking I was the cat's ass! In the same breath there have been times when people sit down with us, make tons of noise (not to be confused with music) and completely spoil the night because they have the attitude "Whoo hooo! Look at me! I'm playing with the locals!!!" and totally neglect the music. The first time I went to a session I knew maybe a half-dozen tunes and spent about 99% of the night sitting, listening, and being completely blown away by the folks around me. The other 1% of the night, the folks who were leading the session would ask me what tunes I knew and they would would play them so that I could take part and not be excluded.

I guess the long and the short of it is that every session is different in the details and tunes and attutudes, but I'll bet that any of the older/wiser musicians at a session take making the music GOOD quite seriously.

Whoo, that was a bit of rant but I had to get it off my chest! As for tunes... I'm pretty well sure The Connaughtman's Rambles is played at sessions everywhere, throw in The Kesh for good measure and you're well on your way!

All the best,
Wes