My whistle sounds great; it's ME that can't play

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My whistle sounds great; it's ME that can't play

Post by Kar »

Yesterday at a friend's house, the landlord came by and in the course of a music conversation, mentioned the whistle. I said, "Oh, I play the whistle, although not very well. Want to try mine?" I carry my favorite whistle with me--a frankenwhistle which is some unknown brass body and an LBW head. Anyway, this guy said he "wasn't very good either" but had been dabbling about for the last 40 years.

Well, he picked up that whistle and practically made me faint. He was FANTASTIC. That whistle did things I never thought were possible. It was like he was playing a different instrument. I couldn't believe the sounds coming out of the thing. He stopped several times and said, "This is REALLY nice whistle." I wanted to say, "Well, it is when YOU play it."

Part of me was discouraged because I am pretty sure I will never sound like that, but part of my was encouraged because the music was so beautiful that if I even get close to that I will be happy. I also realized I don't play at half-speed, I play at about a tenth-speed and that's when I am pushing myself!

As a side note, later this same man idly picked up a guitar laying around and played a few Spanish songs, classical-style, that were incredibly beautiful, and he played the guitar as well as I've ever heard.
Perhaps there are born musicians? All I know is, I aint' one!
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Oddly enough, my daughter and I were having a nearly identical conversation this morning, but about artists.

She asked me why all the people she knows who can draw or paint well inevitably deny it - they always critique their work and point out the things that they feel need improvement (usually a long, very specific, list). The main difference between them and the truly unskilled is that the the truly unskilled will usually say "I can't draw well" without specifics.

I used music to make my point - the skilled almost always have some point they wish to improve, and are very aware of it. They don't count the things they can do well, but the things they wish to do better. And compare themselves to their ideal of perfection, not to those without the skills.

I'm a fair beginning whistler - 25 songs under my belt, reasonable (not great) timing, decent breath control, but still needing much work on swing and ornamentation, as well as a much larger set of tunes. But my youngest daughter (who knows just two songs, can't tongue well, and has very poor breath control) thinks I'm wonderful.

Both girls play piano - the youngest for 2 years at this point, the eldest for 7 - and are both quite advanced for their experience level; the eldest is often singled out by her teacher as one of his best students. But both can point out many, many, things they want to improve, and that their teacher is far, far, better than they may ever be.

So don't worry about it - your (and your friend's) humility is a *good* sign - you're comparing yourselves to the best, not the worst. I'lll call myself good when I'm giving Mary, Joanie, and Paddy a run for their money. :)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Kar: Your post reminded me of something I learned when I used to sell guitars. There are many more great musicians out there unacknowledged than those in the public eye. People, who for whatever reason, do not pursue notoriety but love and play music, very well!
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

Kar,

There are countless stars in heaven's sky. He is one and you are another. Though his light may look impressive to you, yours is no less important in the unfathomable heaven.

Your light is unique.

No one else has it.

Let it shine.

TD
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Kar,

It takes time & practise, lots of both. 40 years of messing about on a whistle is still a lot of messing. Yes, I think there are some people who find things easier than others, be it music, painting, writing, whatever, but I think if you want to do a thing well, and you persevere, it will come. Just having started to play, and wanting to improve, puts you head and shoulders above 90% of the population. I know I'm a much better whistler than I was two years ago, but I'm still only at base camp on Mount Everest. Many of us on this site are right with you, we've been playing between a day and a few years, and we all have things we'd like to do better.

If the speed thing bothers you, don't forget slow airs - they're not so challenging, but carry a lot of emotion and feeling in a few simple phrases.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

*SIGH*

Its the ever present, never dying, depressing, time-consuming their better than me and I wont ever be as good as they are thought scheme.

#1 whistles, flutes, harps, drums, etc. sound different when you play them vrs. when you listen.

#2 don't worry about how many songs you know. Songs are just tunes that were made up by other people. So your songs ARE no less important than songs made up by other people.

#3 forget about, "they were born with it", "they are bla, bla". There are plenty other things "they" were born with that I'm sure you don't want to have.

#4 don't be afraid to experiment with your whistle. Experimenting is how you learn the "things" that a whistle can do.

#5 music is art. and art it is in the eye of the beholder. So, play what is in your heart. Play for self expression, for the joy of playing, and to hell with everything else.

:)
PapoAnaya

fuggettaboutit...

Post by PapoAnaya »

Hello:

One time, while in College, I was playing my guitar, practicing some relatively simple classical guitar tunes. This guy came in and we started talking about guitars. Lo and behold, the guy had loads of experience playing the guitar, when he took my guitar, the sounds that came out of it were unbelievable. To make a long story short, I did ask him how the heck he did that. His reply was very simple. Practice.

You should just do that, practice. If you play the whistle for your own enjoyment, as many of us do, you learn to appreciate other performers and learn something out of the experience. It should not be something to be discouraged of, just learn, get some ideas, practice and have fun!

Luis
Kar

Post by Kar »

Gee, what wonderful replies from everyone! Wow, I'm so glad I posted the story....Thank you everyone, for such encouragement!

I've also often experienced that phenomenon of the incredibly skilled writer, artist, musician, who says "Well, I'm really not very good" and they turn out to be better than you've encountered before. I guess in terms of art, one is always comparing oneself to what COULD be, and it could almost always be better.

But it's also true that there's a place and time for everyone, no matter what skill level they are at. It's really all about the love for the art (no matter what type of art) that matters most. I also dance, and I know I'd rather watch a beginning so-called unskilled dancer than one who is technically perfect but has lost heart for the dance--it's become a job, or a chore, or a routine, or whatever.

And yes, I don't forget about those slow airs! I'm all over them--cause I can play them!
Deamiter

Post by Deamiter »

try to find great people to study under. A great musician can pull you up near their level where you begin to work on the same difficulties together. Once you start working WITH a great artist, rather than FOR them, then you have a chance to truly shine!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The Weekenders wrote:Kar: Your post reminded me of something I learned when I used to sell guitars. There are many more great musicians out there unacknowledged than those in the public eye. People, who for whatever reason, do not pursue notoriety but love and play music, very well!
Weekie!
I have to second all you said above. To my way of thinking love of the music is the thing that keeps you practicing, even when your finger is sore, you are too tired or "don't have the time." I have told aspiring musicians - the ones who come up to you after a show and say, "I wish I could play like that!" - I tell them, you can. Go home and practice and learn to love practicing because if you want to play well you'll be doing ALOT of it for the next thirty years. I love practicing. It takes a long-range outlook. You aren't going to perfect a new tune TODAY but you can get better today and in the meantime, as Lee Marsh says, Enjoy Your Music.
Mike