Should I learn piper's grip?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecohawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Should I learn piper's grip? - Sticky????

Post by ecohawk »

Just wondering since this subject comes up often - should MTGuru's original instructions for Pipers - Super Easy-SDEZG -Grip be made into a Sticky?

I know it helped me quite a lot and I always need to search for it. I guess I could bookmark it but then...

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
The_walrus0
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Should I learn piper's grip?

Post by The_walrus0 »

So I wonder, when did you all decide to try low whistles?

I started this journey pretty convinced I'd never have the urge to try a low whistle and the more I read about them the more I think I will someday.

First I'll learn the soprano D of course, but maybe someday I'll try a low whistle.

:)

Just curious as to how everyone ended up with one? Another symptom of WHOA?
"Holding onto anger is like holding onto a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at someone. You are the one who gets burned."
- Not sure, but it wasn't me! A good quote to live by.
Feadoggie

Re: Should I learn piper's grip?

Post by Feadoggie »

The_walrus0 wrote:So I wonder, when did you all decide to try low whistles? I started this journey pretty convinced I'd never have the urge to try a low whistle and the more I read about them the more I think I will someday.
I think you will find that the path varies for each player.

When I started playing whistles in the late 60's/early 70's there were no low whistles to speak of. But, once the sound of the lower whistles became more prominent in concerts and commercial recordings I took notice and started buying what was slowly being made available in the keys below Bb.

Others may have been drawn to whistles by hearing a recording or performance on a low whistle. They might be motivated to start with a low F or low D right off the bat. That works. Some folks only play the low whistles. And low whistle do not seem to bring out the worst in family members and friends as high whistles may be prone to doing after a while. So it probably depends on what motivates people.

A reasonable approach might be to learn on what key whistle you have. And as you find music or musicians playing in other keys pick up whistles in those keys to play along. In other words buy another key when you need one. Before to long you'll have most every key out there.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.