One of the most interesting whistles to come through...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

One of the most interesting whistles to come through...

Post by Dale »

This actually happened, I don't know, probably 8 years ago, but I still wish I had handled it differently.

During the peak of the time when new whistle makers were proliferating and sending me their work, I got a Low D whistle made by a guy in Canada. I've forgotten his name, which I figure means he didn't stay in the business. I opened to package and what I found was a Copeland Low D. Except it wasn't made by Copeland, It was made by this guy. A really, really good copy. In fact, it played better than the Copeland Low D I had at the time, and even, I think, a bit better than the one I have now.

I told the guy I didn't feel comfortable writing about it on C&F because it was such a blatant exploitation of Michael's work He replied with some description of how it differed from MIchael's work, which I didn't buy at all.

I also wrote Michael Copeland and Jim Rementer. They asked me to ship them the whistle so they could look at it. Here's where I went wrong. I sent it to them. Never saw it again. If I had it, I might feel guilty about playing it...but I'd be playing it.

Dale
JTC111
antispam: No

Re: One of the most interesting whistles to come through...

Post by JTC111 »

I wouldn't see the harm in sending Michael a note and asking for it back. Worst case, it's lost.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ok, why now after 8 years? What was the precipitating factor here? Are you pulling our collective leg Dale? So your research gene overrode your possessive gene, eh? See what happens....Oh, uh, you don't happen to have that guy's name and address do you? I hope he's all right....

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
kaizersoza
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by kaizersoza »

i recently bought 2 plastic whistles from evil bay, they were made for Ferris music in Ireland, there were a couple of threads written about them on C+F where they were compared with susato whistles, whilst i do admit there is a likeness, they are nowhere near the same, i paid £9.99 for a D and a C they both came in leatherette cases and they both have a really sweet mellow tone, i am very happy with my purchase and they do sound and play like whistles that are three times the price, what a bargain
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

Dale wrote:I also wrote Michael Copeland and Jim Rementer. They asked me to ship them the whistle so they could look at it. Here's where I went wrong. I sent it to them. Never saw it again. If I had it, I might feel guilty about playing it...but I'd be playing it.
What did they say when you asked for it back?
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Interesting topic...I too have played one of the whistles...if it's the same guy. Basically a copy of a Copeland. He, the maker, told me that he actually apprenticed with Michael Copeland. His name is John and he lived here, in Newfoundland, while going to university. He's originally from Nova Scotia. You right, it's an exact copy of Michael's and I also found that it played even better than a Copeland. Copeland low D is my main intstrument so I was certainly able to do a true comparison. I think his last name is Bishop. I could easily get in contact with him but I believe that he stopped making them some time ago.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

whistle1000 wrote:Interesting topic...I too have played one of the whistles...if it's the same guy. Basically a copy of a Copeland. He, the maker, told me that he actually apprenticed with Michael Copeland. His name is John and he lived here, in Newfoundland, while going to university. He's originally from Nova Scotia. You right, it's an exact copy of Michael's and I also found that it played even better than a Copeland. Copeland low D is my main intstrument so I was certainly able to do a true comparison. I think his last name is Bishop. I could easily get in contact with him but I believe that he stopped making them some time ago.
I didn't remember the name being Bishop but i'm sure you're right. I remember "John" and Newfoundland and, yes, that he had apprenticed with Michael.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

JTC111 wrote:I wouldn't see the harm in sending Michael a note and asking for it back. Worst case, it's lost.
That's my reaction, too. Fight the entropy. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

I hope that I don't offend anyone. But, the story sounds like the old "Tucker" story. It was an automobile. Was a movie I believe. Now, I know that this did not happen in this case. It just triggered my membor of the "Tucker".

Let us know if you ask and get it back. I too vote for you to ask.

:D
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

skyspirit wrote:I hope that I don't offend anyone. But, the story sounds like the old "Tucker" story.

:D
Strangely enough, the exact same thing had occurred to me.
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Interesting concept, a whistle powered by a helicopter engine. :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I have a similar story.

In1999 or so I borrowed a brass Copeland and cloned it using the tapered end of an aluminum ski pole. I felt so guilty about it that I only did it a couple of times again. These played better than the Copeland, too.

:oops: I didn't send one to you did I Dale?

Mack
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Mack.Hoover wrote:I have a similar story.

In1999 or so I borrowed a brass Copeland and cloned it using the tapered end of an aluminum ski pole. I felt so guilty about it that I only did it a couple of times again. These played better than the Copeland, too.

:oops: I didn't send one to you did I Dale?

Mack

Good one Mack. :lol:
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Feadoggie wrote:Interesting concept, a whistle powered by a helicopter engine. :)

Feadoggie

Equally funny... :lol:
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

No BS here. I've personally spoken with the maker and played the whistle. Dale, do you remember the "copy" as being quite tarnished and not quite as shiny as the Copeland. THe one that I played was very dark and dull. It did however play extremely well. I too was impressed by how it was even "better" than the Copeland. I've got his last name on liner notes somewhere but I'm too lazy to be digging through my cd pile. No problem to find out. He's a great player, now flute, and he's very well known around here...I'm really surprised that people would doubt this "story" :boggle: