Favorite G whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cutterpup
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Favorite G whistle?

Post by cutterpup »

Feadoggie wrote:
JTC111 wrote:Isn't it likely that we refer to it as a "Low D" because we're differentiating from the whistle we call a "High D?"
I think that makes good, common sense! And since there is a high G whislte - usually reserved for calling dogs and ridding villages of small rodents - it makes sense to also call the other G whistle a low G.

It's never made sense to me to call the G whistle below high D an "alto G" since that translates as "high G" which it is not. Why don't we have sopranino, soprano, contralto, tenor and baritone whistles? Whistles are, unlike some other fipple flutes, available in every diatonic key. The high and low deignation works for me. But then I'm a Merikan with no sense of .... well, you know.

Feadoggie
:poke: You forgot the garklien.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
JTC111
antispam: No

Post by JTC111 »

I can see using the "bass" or "mezzo" designations when a whistle is available in 3 octaves of the same key but, offhand, I don't know of a whistlemaker that offers that. And so far as I know, the only key where that would come into play among varied makers is G (with the possible exception being Daniel Bingamon's interesting creations) ...but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by JTC111 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Nomi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: San Juan Island, Washington, Northwest corner of the USA

Post by Nomi »

Oh my goodness. Low G it is and let no one else ever ask the question again! My apologies for being utterly ignorant, I really was just looking for some good old fashioned consumer advice. Living in a capitalist society and all, gotta do my part.
Gawn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Gawn »

killthemessenger wrote:I had a Phil Bleazey low G whistle on blackwood that I just this week sold to another member. It has great tone and response, but I hardly ever played it - maybe it's his favourite G whistle now.
Yes, it is.... it's admittedly my only G and in fact my only low whistle ... but I'm totally in love with it!

Georg
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nomi wrote:Oh my goodness. Low G it is and let no one else ever ask the question again!
There! All in favor?

And I thought we might have to form a nomenclature committee. :D

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Denny

Post by Denny »

fraught it is...

I've lost count of the different attempts at standardizing, ah, nomenclature...

Bad as herdin' cats, them whistle makers!
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Denny, been meaning to ask you..is that fair critter in heavy harness a morgan? I drove mine in light harness and did some snow plow dragging with him but never in a collar.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm pretty much in lockstep with Feadoggie here, except I've never played a Burke G (I have them up to, er rather down to Bflat, and then skip to low D Viper).

The O'riordan Traveler G may be the sweetest tone of any whistle in any key.

The Copeland is gravelly and almost bluesy.

Those are the two best I've ever played.

I have Glenn's WWs down to A, and if the G is anything like Bflat and A, then it would be terrific.

I also have a Susato that's really very nice as well.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jaime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Jaime »

Nomi, just FYI, they are gonna do this no matter what you ask. Doesn't mean your question was ignorant.

It's best to go ahead and ask whatever your question is, and then sit back and enjoy, without feeling too much responsibility for where the thread goes. There will probably be at least one relevant answer somewhere, if not dozens of different ones.

It is an entertaining forum. :lol:
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Jaime wrote:Nomi, just FYI, they are gonna do this no matter what you ask. Doesn't mean your question was ignorant.
Nomi's first question was a request for clarification, her second was really just a request for opinions ...nothing wrong with either of those. And neither question was one of those kind that pop up here from time to time that make you scratch your head and wonder why someone would ask such a silly thing.

But yes, those kinds of questions do get asked occasionally. However, they don't happen here with anywhere near the frequency I've seen them occur in other forums. I used to participate on an acoustic guitar forum where the most ridiculous questions came up on a daily basis, like... If I change from a cloth to a leather strap, will that affect my tone?

...Well, if you stuff it inside the soundhole, it will.

That was a very strange forum. This is a much better neighborhood.

Oh, almost forgot. I've only owned two G whistles. One was a Chieftain which just never felt right for me for some reason ...sold it. The other is a wooden Mack Hoover (rosewood, I think) that came with two heads. The person I bought it from liked the plastic head better; I prefer the wooden head. Go figure. But it's a nice whistle with a good woodsy sound ...kind of sounds like a native flute with the wooden head on it. It's a much different and stronger tone with the plastic.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
tombom11

Post by tombom11 »

I've tried a low G Burke in aluminum, Blackwood Bleazey, and a black anodized Reviol. I love the higher pitched Burkes, but this one was a bit quiet, and had very little range and a rather uninteresting tone. The Bleazey was wonderful and could have been my favorite, but the sound was a little too close to my recorders. I chose the Reviol for its' unique tone. You can play lightly and it's very pleasant. If you push it, it releases this growly sound that I love. Can I have two favorites? The Bleazey is great if you want a clear dark sound, or the Reviol for a flexible and unique tone I haven't heard in any other whistle.
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Dixon DX107 tunable Alto G, polymer head alloy body.

Has a good tone (bright?) and transfers smoothly from lower to upper octave. Can be played softly or pushed. For just uinder £63.00 this is an underated whistle. My other Alto G is one I made using Guido's plans, nice whistle for playing late at night, this will not scare the neighbours or our cat.
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Reviol. best G i've played. almost smokey in its sound....responsive, with overtones that make it hard to put down and fun to play.
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

If I need volume I play either my Copeland Low G or my Burke (Brass). If I need a quieter sound I play my Honer/Generation hybrid. There is not one favorite really. I like them all for what they are.
Last edited by Feadan on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Heh. Heh. I was going to make a comment that there is a gentleman on the board who feels very strongly about the tone of the O'Riordan Travler G. Reading through the thread, I saw that he already commented on same...

PhilO and I agree: I own a few whistles in some keys, but never ever felt the desire or need to have more than one G. The O'Riordan Traveler G rules.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979