online flute lessons?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
oceanica
antispam: No

online flute lessons?

Post by oceanica »

Hi all: Have been away from the flute for a couple of years -- playing shakuhachi -- now getting back to the flute. I would like to find a teacher that does skype lessons or something similar or if anyone knows of any teachers in or near Omaha, NE. Thanks, Mark
PS. Just bought a Windward Flute -- I have owned Ollwell, Reviol, Burns, and mcgee, and all I can say is WOW!!!
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: online flute lessons?

Post by tucson_whistler »

i take lessons via skype from Gordon.

check out my webpage if you're interested:
http://irishfluteshop.com/workshops.htm

or send me a pm

Cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
maki

Post by maki »

Try Eskin, the owner of Tradlesson.com
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=114

There are at least a couple of others doing SKYPE instruction.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I believe Blayne Chastain does this - check out: http://blaynechastain.com/i-teach

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

Harry Bradley does Skype lessons also. You could probably search the board - he posted about it here.

Congratulations on your Windward flute!! What type of wood? Any keys? I love mine-it's keyless, of Pau Rosa, and Forbes measured my fingers to make an ergonomic centre joint. Welcome to the Windward world and have a great time with it! :party:
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Denny

Post by Denny »

Harry
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I second the recommendation for Gordon Gower. He has a great CD on the way, has a BA in music, has spent time playing in sessions in Ireland, and has experience as an accredited teacher.

From the upcoming CD notes: Gordon Gower is an Irish flute and whistle player of considerable note, and has shared the stage with the best in traditional Irish music, including the Chieftans, Liz Carrol, and John Doyle.

You couldn't do better. Get him while he's still relatively unknown.

geordiegower@gmail.com
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
oceanica

Post by oceanica »

I think Gordon and I will be able to give this a try. I am about 185 miles from Kansas City, and I have been there and taken a lesson or two from Turloch Boylan, but he is just too busy to do Skype lessons I think. He is a great guy, and I hope to do some more lessons in person with him too. I just want to get on a regular schedule to force me to practice regularly!!
My Windward flute is in African olive. I have had it for almost 2 weeks now, and I am able to do more with it each day.
Now what I know about simple flutes you could put in a thimble, but from what I can tell, this flute seems to be able to do about everything well, great dynamics into the second octave, can get a nice reedy sound or sweet and round without much pitch change. Barks and honks well, and is an easy player....
maki

Post by maki »

Congratulations on finding a flute you like and persuing a tutor.

Could I ask why someone who lives smack in the middle of the country likes
the nym "oceanica"?
No reply is fine of course.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Also, I think Zac Leger also gives skype lessons for multiple instruments.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

There's this lot too - I can't vouch for them, but their website/publicity looks impressive and the value for money too.

Online Academy of Irish Music
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
oceanica

Post by oceanica »

Oceanica -- also the name of my business and website trocadero.com/Oceanica... I used to collect tribal art from the Pacific -- mostly New Guinea....odd I know...
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I've been using the Online Academy of Irish Music for some time now and it is absolutely superb. I highly, highly recommend it.
maki

Post by maki »

oceanica wrote:Oceanica -- also the name of my business and website trocadero.com/Oceanica... I used to collect tribal art from the Pacific -- mostly New Guinea....odd I know...
Cool. New Guinea is utterly facinating, so varied its like a world unto its own.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I was teaching Skype lessons for a while there when I was between jobs, but really don't have the time for it now.