Non-metal low Ds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Non-metal low Ds

Post by maki »

You can alway modify the Gonzato beak by the judicous use of a belt sander.
(The radiused part were the belt goes round the roller.)
Be sure to measure and mark the fipple block so as not to remove too much.
Removal is easy, too easy, so go slow.

You can also do this by hand using a dowel and sand paper.
Don't forget a dust mask, pvc dust is bad news.

Remeber to that if you do this, it will hurt the resale value, if that is important.

Even cheaper will be Duponol, soapy water, or waxed dental floss.
Last edited by maki on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

DrPhill wrote: We did not get much 'natural light' today, but I took these. Hope they help:
So the basic idea is to make the windway slightly thinner which increases backpressure? That's an interesting tweak. I wonder if it's work with curved windway whistles. I'd love to have more backpressure on my MK Low D.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

cunparis wrote:
DrPhill wrote: We did not get much 'natural light' today, but I took these. Hope they help:
So the basic idea is to make the windway slightly thinner which increases backpressure? That's an interesting tweak. I wonder if it's work with curved windway whistles. I'd love to have more backpressure on my MK Low D.
It works well on this whistle because the shape of the windway (narrower at the ceiling) holds the plastic in place neatly. This allows for experimentation before permanent modification. I have tried with curved windway whistles, but not with any success - the plastic was not held tightly enough in the experimentation phase for me to wish to make permanent the changes.

Probably the best way to get a modified MK is to ask Misha.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
bogman

Post by bogman »

For for my slow reply Mikethebook. I usually cut old bank or key cards into strips just slightly narrower than the windway as a push through. There are the right thickness usually. I push throw any lingering bitties then put washing up liquid in the windway and run water through it under the tap via the sound hole as fast as it'll go then I repeat the process. I also use the push through plastic card before a session or a gig to make sure there's no bits of peanut or whatever in there. Don't know if I've explained that very well. Others will have their own routine I'm sure but that works well for me.
joshua7b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by joshua7b »

Mikethebook wrote:I love my Goldie low D and look forward to spending an hour on it each day! But like all metal whistles it takes time to warm it up. Since I work at home at a desk I have chance now and then to pick up a whistle just for a couple of minutes, no more . . . and so would like an inexpensive non-metal low D to fulfill that purpose. I can think of Susato (probably too loud for my taste), Dixon, Ethnic Wind (I live in the UK so possibly too expensive), Goldfinch, Becker, Shearwater . . .and there are undoubtedly others. What would people suggest?
I recently acquired a Becker Low D whistle and was quite impressed. You can tell that the whistle was very carefully made with attention to the details. It is a little bit on the quiet side, but has a good tone and fairly low breath requirements. Granted, your mileage may vary, as every whistle is unique, but I'd highly recommend you try one.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi

Regarding the tweaking of a curved windway I have used aluminium from a soft drinks can. This can be cut to the exact shape and being curved is easy to fit in the windway. When the tweak is as required it can fixed with super glue. Several layers can be used to get the required thicknes and is easily rubbed down if required with wet & dry emery paper

This has worked really well with my Susato Kildare that was somewhat shrill in the upper octave and too laud in the bottom. By the way narrowing the windway on my Old Dixon DX003 has made this my most played low D.

Ian