from the newbie: what's so bad about Susato whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: and you get a thumb rest!

Post by Zubivka »

Martin Milner wrote:Plus, they come with a thumbrest! If you don't use it for its intended purpose, leave it on but slide it down to the bottom end - the added mass can help stabilise some notes (I think this is a bit like having vent holes - see the vent hole discussion).

all the best!
Thanks for the tip, Martin!
I did use a similar trick to stabilize a couple low whistles I have with a "buzz" at bell tone. Except I used a sailor's knot with rope. Tried bungie rope too--works maybe better, but looks less good.
I don't know if it's akin with vent holes; I suspect it may be more a question of perturbating the vibration of the thin walls, a bit as a "silent-block" would.
But I'll try the thumbrest out of my Aulos tenor on the big-bore buzzing whistle, as you suggest.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've gotten so I enjoy the daylights out of my Susato D. I discovered I was shy of the loud high notes.
My practice room is accoustically designed for major ear damage so I usually plug my ears with cotton. But outside I let it rip.

My Susato Bb is VERY nice.

Here's an interesting little exercise. Play the Susato D for about 1/2 hour on the 2nd octave. Then play a Generation D. Anyone who's done that probably knows what I mean.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On thing that should be mentioned is that the the "regular" bore Susato D is finnicky when it comes to fingering. In particular you cannot stabilise the whistle on the upper notes with you sixth hole: xoo oox for high b, for instance. That is annoying if you are used to doing that on Gens or such.

Also the best c-nat on the Susato is oxxooo (like most high-end whistles such as Overtons, Silkstones...). On Generations, Feadogs, Waltons and Oaks you will get the best c-nat with the forked fingering oxxxox.

Now that we are swimming on such a wave of positive Susato feeling, maybe I can mention that I came to not like the sound, timbre & volume of the Susato so that I stopped playing mine. That is, until I replaced the curved Susato blade with a straight guitar plectrum.
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Isilwen wrote:James?? That was you that did that wonderful recording of The Arran Boat Song???

WAAAY COOL!!!

That's one of my fav. online mp3 'downloads' to listen to... :D
Thank you! :) I'm particularly proud of this piece, as I wrote the flute countermelody.

That recording is now quite old, but it is still one of our favorite slow pieces to play.

We have also played this as a waltz for a Russian Orthodox wedding before, and it worked quite well for that.

There is actually a funny story that goes with that: the bride wanted us to play a jig after the wedding so she could dance a jig for everyone. We were playing hard and fast and she tripped and fell on the grass. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt, jumped back up, and promptly started dancing again.

The best part is her husband had grabbed up Sam's Bodhran and was playing with us when it happened--and he was the one driving the tempo faster and faster. ;)

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Russian orthodox Irish ?

I wondered what meant the white color on the Eire flag :boggle:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Zubivka wrote:Russian orthodox Irish ?

:lol:

How about this: Irish music at a Russian Orthodox wedding...in the big city of DeQueen, Arkansas. :P

For those who don't know, DeQueen isn't a very big place. Blink twice and you'll miss it. It's very pretty country though--lovely rows of rolling green hills and lots of trees. The wedding was outside, which was neat, and when Pat played the pipes, it echoed off the hills, which will raise all the hair on the back of your neck.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'm with everyone above... the tuning is great, the playability is great, the sound is much louder and purer than what I want. Simply wasn't to my taste. I was given a VSB, tried it out, moved it on to someone else on 'perma loan' as, even though the volume was reduced, it didn't blend well with others in session in my hands, and my animals didn't like the high end.

There is a susato player in session...I won't sit next to him because my ear hurts after a song or two, but I like sitting across from him, as I can clearly hear what the whistle is doing over the rest of the group. I might also add that in three sessions I heard in Ireland last year, the whistlers nearly all played Susato.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I just received my engraved susato kildare high D, on my way to rule the world by buying up all the whistles. I was surprised at the well-tuned sound, but when I went to the high octave I had to blow much harder than I do on the Sindt. My neighbors may want to re-zone against whistles. Also, my cat abhors the Susato, but she will just have to get used to it, because on some tunes I like the sound very much. Misty likes the Clark original the best, and so when she is napping, this is what I play, otherwise she gives me one of those cat looks and pads off. My wife is getting me a wooden whistle from Ralph Sweet for my 51st birthday next week, bless her. I like contra dances (hold your fire please) and think that the wood will sound pretty good with English and American tunes.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Celtoid,

Where is Brownville?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Hi Jerry...it is way, way, way upstate, near Watertown just south of the Canadian border. Brownville is on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario. The only thing really, really important here....is me. :roll:
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well shoot, Celtoid.

You're just over there in Jefferson County. I'm a couple of miles south of the county line here in Oswego county.

I'll email you, so as not to hijack Lauragayle's thread with upstate New York small talk.

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. Marguerite Plank, who posts here a lot, is a contra dancer, too.
markv

Post by markv »

peeplj wrote:
Zubivka wrote:Russian orthodox Irish ?

:lol:

How about this: Irish music at a Russian Orthodox wedding...in the big city of DeQueen, Arkansas. :P

For those who don't know, DeQueen isn't a very big place. Blink twice and you'll miss it. It's very pretty country though--lovely rows of rolling green hills and lots of trees. The wedding was outside, which was neat, and when Pat played the pipes, it echoed off the hills, which will raise all the hair on the back of your neck.

Best,

--James
The fiddle\banjo\mando player in our contra dance band is a Greek Orthodox priest. I play a blessed (by him) Susato regular bore D almost exclusively with that group. The clean octave breaks and spot on tuning are what I like the best. It also sounds great with a fiddle. When playing in the kitchen at home for the kids I usually play one of mine or a Hoover because of the volume. When playing in a very large dance hall with whooping dancers, caller and 6 other musicians then the Susato comes to the fore.

Lately though I've been playing a truly remarkable Thin Weasel I have on loan.

Mark V.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Yes, Susatos are not for the timid player.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Susato and Kevin Crawford

Post by Tradman »

Well, I have to say...When Kevin Crawford played his rust-brown colored Susato high D last friday night, I realized how much better it sounds when he plays a Susato than I ever will, although I personally own 1 and dont like it like my Sindts, Chieftains, etc.

Eric
energy

Post by energy »

I've been led to believe that this clip is played on a Susato. I'm not sure, however. Maybe someone could clarify? The musician is Cormac Breatnach, the clip is on his website, off the "Music for Whistle & Guitar" album.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6