Susato sounds.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The_walrus0
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Susato sounds.

Post by The_walrus0 »

I get paid tomorrow and if I can find some whistles in the $15 range I'd like to get three more whistles. I am really trying to get acquainted with some of the better know inexpensive brands. I was thinking a Walton's Little Black and maybe a Feadog Pro or Oak, I was also considering the Susato brand but I've heard can sound recorder-ey.

It's not that I dislike the recorder, I just much prefer the sound of the whistle to the recorder.

What do you Susato owners think about the way it sounds?
"Holding onto anger is like holding onto a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at someone. You are the one who gets burned."
- Not sure, but it wasn't me! A good quote to live by.
JTC111

Re: Susato sounds.

Post by JTC111 »

The_walrus0 wrote:I was thinking a Walton's Little Black
For what it's worth, of the few whistles I've self-tweaked, the LBW is the most pleasant sounding.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Couple things...

A Susato is going to run you a bit more than $15. The Oriole, which is a brand spankin' new model, goes for just under $20. A Kildare is double that or there abouts.

They do not soound recorder-ish. They do not sound like any of my recorders. Some people think they sound plasticish. That's also imagineering.

Susatos sound clear and crisp. They do not sound like a Generation, Feadog or Oak. They are not timid whistles. They are bold whistles.

The S-series high D Kildare is really loud in the second octave. That's not mythology.

Start with an Oriole or a V-Series Kildare.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
StefD

Post by StefD »

I have a Susato D here and I have played the recorder for over fifteen years.

Listen to Cormac Breathnach here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UWHg6BbfLU
Does this sound like a recorder to you?

Than on the other hand you have Kevin Crawford playing a Susato C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9DLP4PobwY
Maybe this has more a recorder like sound? Or maybe it's just because it is in the key of C?
But I know, when I first listened to this clip a few years ago, I thought it sounds more like a recorder than a whistle.

At last you can say: The sound of the Susato depends much on how you use to play it as it is with every whistle you play.
Hope that helps.
Stefan

'...whatever went in as a tradition, comes out as a tradition.'

http://www.crosswind-music.de
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Feadoggie wrote:Susatos sound clear and crisp. They do not sound like a Generation, Feadog or Oak. They are not timid whistles. They are bold whistles.
Spot on, Feadoggie!
StefD wrote:But I know, when I first listened to this clip a few years ago, I thought it sounds more like a recorder than a whistle.
Think there's so much affecting the original (acoustic) sound there it's hard to tell what it sounds like...

To return to the OP, whistles are whistles, recorders are recorders, but they're both fipple flutes sharing much common ground. Having played both (like others here) for many years, I like Susatos for some tunes and not for others. But I could say the same about the more 'trad.' types, would still rate the Susatos great whistles and think Feadoggie's assessment quoted above about as close as you'll get to a universal truth here.
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
The_walrus0

Post by The_walrus0 »

Oh wow, I didn't really catch any hint of recorder there in those videos.

I will certainly try one. Since the Walton's is so cheap I'll get a Walton's Little Black and Sustato Kildare and that should fit in my whistle budget since I'm also looking for a new tutorial book to pair with my Clarke tutor book.

I'm not put off by the plastic, I was more put off by reading from others that they can sound like a recorder. Actually I was considering them initially because of the plastic. The brass Gen is giving me an allergic reaction that's really rough. D:

Also, I've read so much about Susatos and I just have to try. Same with Walton's.

Eventually I have to run out of brands to try right? :lol:
"Holding onto anger is like holding onto a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at someone. You are the one who gets burned."
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Susato rocks! and so does Kevin Crawford.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
The_walrus0

Post by The_walrus0 »

Feadoggie wrote:Susato rocks! and so does Kevin Crawford.
I'll bet he could play a toilet paper tube with holes in it and make awesome music. :shock:

Right now I'm just practicing making cuts and strikes more natural. I still have to think about not tonguing the notes. Practicing everyday though. :)

I'm always excited to try new whistles because so far each whistle has given me different lessons. The Clarke Original is what I started on and boy was it nice trying a plastic fipple after practicing on that. I also appreciate the different sounds when comparing my Gen to my Bluebird, or my Clarke.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I can only add a few things to what Feadoggie and Peter said.
I like my Susatos. They are water proof and sound great in pool or hot tub. If ya search the archives several years ago lots of whistlers were looking for whistles that were louder than a Susato so they could hear them selfs play at a session. Now it seems there is a crowd of whistles playing in the farthest corner of their surroundings at a whisper.
ITS A WHISTLE. :thumbsup: If a person wants to play quiet, I suggest a nice flute. play it loud or soft and it will not lose pitch.
If a whistle sounds like a recorder perhaps they need more practice on both.

OK Flame on. :tantrum:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
The_walrus0

Post by The_walrus0 »

Tommy wrote:
I can only add a few things to what Feadoggie and Peter said.
I like my Susatos. They are water proof and sound great in pool or hot tub. If ya search the archives several years ago lots of whistlers were looking for whistles that were louder than a Susato so they could hear them selfs play at a session. Now it seems there is a crowd of whistles playing in the farthest corner of their surroundings at a whisper.
ITS A WHISTLE. :thumbsup: If a person wants to play quiet, I suggest a nice flute. play it loud or soft and it will not lose pitch.
If a whistle sounds like a recorder perhaps they need more practice on both.

OK Flame on. :tantrum:
Not looking to be quiet here!

I have plenty of opportunity to be loud and if someone in my vicinity doesn't want to hear I'll go outside and find a spot.

It is indeed a whistle and I very much want to be nice and loud. :love:
maki

Post by maki »

Susatos are great.
I love the rugged ABS pastic construction.
There is good reason to believe that they wil be around to pass to your grandchildren.
It's the whistle I carry at work in the refinery and I haven't broken it, or expect to.

As for the sound, you have listened to Crawford...........he seems to do ok. :D
To me they have a 'woody' tone.
I'd recommend them.
Watch the used instrument board for occasional deals, thats how I got mine.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Ok, on the other end of the scale..
I have never liked Susatos.. IMO they sound like obnoxious plastic recorders on nitrous (loud effers) Had a D and C, gave away the C and kept the D only because of sentimental reasons really (bought it in Dublin back in 1995)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

The sound of Susatos is not to everyone's taste but they are very good players. They have pretty good intonation, plenty of volume ( I don't understand why some people don't like volume), and a good response throughout a two octave plus range. Reasonably priced they are alot of whistle for the money.
Last edited by R Small on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I am very, very conflicted on whether I like my Susatos (kildare, s-series). When I received them as a Christmas gift, I thought they were a massive step up from my Generation. As I've played them, however, I notice a distinct recorder-ish sound that I misclassified as "woody" early on. Having now heard actual wood, they're not it at all. The transitions between notes don't warble or chirp like on most penny whistles, they sort of (gracefully) squeak, which you can hear in the Cormac video. HOWEVER, personal impression of tone aside they are designed with musicians in mind much more than say, a Generation. Susatos play in excellent tune, can be adjusted with the headjoint, support all cross-fingerings of C, are virtually indestructible (the Eb body was stepped on at one point), and they are loud enough to be heard with a band. Plus, the thumb rest is awesome. Makes "air whistle" extremely comfortable as well as normal playing. They are instantly recognizable as a legit instrument, and most importantly they are a dream to play- they are much, much more forgiving than a "low air volume" whistle, and the special way they react to overblowing in the low octave makes heavy breath pulsing an excellent addition to your style. Regardless of whether I like the sound, I can say they are incredibly fun to play.

HOWEVER, THE ONE CAVEAT: The B body for this whistle is unlike any of the others. The tone is sweet, woody and absolutely beautiful. The second octave is even better, and it lacks much of the recorder quality that the other bodies have. So make sure you get a set with this one in it, if you get Susatos.

Hope this ramble is helpful!
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I am very, very conflicted on whether I like my Susatos (kildare, s-series). When I received them as a Christmas gift, I thought they were a massive step up from my Generation. As I've played them, however, I notice a distinct recorder-ish sound that I misclassified as "woody" early on. Having now heard actual wood, they're not it at all. The transitions between notes don't warble or chirp like on most penny whistles, they sort of (gracefully) squeak, which you can hear in the Cormac video. HOWEVER, personal impression of tone aside they are designed with musicians in mind much more than say, a Generation. Susatos play in excellent tune, can be adjusted with the headjoint, support all cross-fingerings of C, are virtually indestructible (the Eb body was stepped on at one point), and they are loud enough to be heard with a band. Plus, the thumb rest is awesome. Makes "air whistle" extremely comfortable as well as normal playing. They are instantly recognizable as a legit instrument, and most importantly they are a dream to play- they are much, much more forgiving than a "low air volume" whistle, and the special way they react to overblowing in the low octave makes heavy breath pulsing an excellent addition to your style. Regardless of whether I like the sound, I can say they are incredibly fun to play.

HOWEVER, THE ONE CAVEAT: The B body for this whistle is unlike any of the others. The tone is sweet, woody and absolutely beautiful. The second octave is even better, and it lacks much of the recorder quality that the other bodies have. So make sure you get a set with this one in it, if you get Susatos.

Hope this ramble is helpful!