Favortite whistles under $10

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Favortite whistles under $10

Post by maki »

The ones I like, and keep buying, are the Oak/Acorn line.
Oaks have a nickle plated tube, and the Acron has a brass tube. The head seems to be the same.
I prefer a brass tube as it's not as slippery, but most folks like the look of a shiny silver tube
These are sold at the local Big Box Music Store, ours is next to a Trader Joes that we frequent.
I like these enough to give to young people and relatives who show any interest.

And your opinion is......?
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Favortite whistles under $10

Post by Flexismart »

The last time I played an Oak I had a bad nose bleed. Ominous? Telling? Certainly overpriced...

I bought a dozen of these recently to give to aspiring whistlers:

http://www.music123.com/Classroom-Kids/ ... 12.product

Surprisingly, they're in tune and fun to play. (Too light for my tastes, really.) Also, there's a tweak available that make them comparable to a fog horn.

Impress your colleagues with your thriftiness and manliness with this little schwartz colored gem.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Waltons little black is a nice whistle out of the box. I give them away to coworkers all the time. I do stick a bit of putty in the head cavity though. Plenty of volume and not shrill at the top.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Whistling Pops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistling Pops »

I find the plastic whistle made by Woodnote to be the easiest under $10 whistle to play.
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Waltons Irish Whistles. I like 'em so much that I've recently stopped playing the ones I make and am using just the two Waltons (C & D). That way if something doesn't sound right it can't be blamed on playing 7 different whistles. Although at this stage the player should be looked at 1st before even thinking of accusing those poor little pieces of holey pipe. :pint:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

My favourite high D, a Feadog MK1, and my favourite C, a Generation, were each bought for well under $10... but that was back around 1980!

The most I ever spent for a whistle was around $500 and it was horrible. I sent it right back to the maker.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
maki

Post by maki »

Flexismart wrote:The last time I played an Oak I had a bad nose bleed. Ominous? Telling? Certainly overpriced...

I bought a dozen of these recently to give to aspiring whistlers:

http://www.music123.com/Classroom-Kids/ ... 12.product

Surprisingly, they're in tune and fun to play. (Too light for my tastes, really.) Also, there's a tweak available that make them comparable to a fog horn.

Impress your colleagues with your thriftiness and manliness with this little schwartz colored gem.
Oh, I like $3.99!
I'll have to try those. Thanks.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

me lipth
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Feadog Mark I (like PCP above) bought for around $5 in a gift shop many years ago. It's one of my favorite whistles - regardless of price.

I've got a lot of whistles 20+ years old or older. Many of those were well under $10 when purchased. They all have their own charms. One old Oak is nice, as are most of the Gens and older Feadogs. No tweaks on any of them.

My old Susato D and C were maybe $11-12 and seemed like a real bargain at the time I purchased them.

I recently bought a Susato Oriole for not much more than $10 - promotional pricing, I guess. It is a peach of a whistle even at just under $20. But that's pushing the dollar limit.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

No tweaks, Feadoggie?!?! :shock:

I had to do all the tweaks just to keep from becoming homeless. Maybe in a few more years (or a decade) I won't have to.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

No tweaks!

On another hand, I have owned only one Waltons/Soodlums whistle that didn't need to be tweaked in some way. Luck of the draw?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

My favorite is my old Feadog. It has a split in the middle of the ramp held together with tape and super glue. The ramp has been filed with a strip of emery board that took off a little bit of the blade and slightly rounded it. I have other Feadogs that are not modified that play well. On my desk in front of me there are a Meg, an Alba Q1, a Glen Schultz water weasel, a Burke brass session D, 2 Feadogs, and a Clare. When I feel like a tune I reach for the old Feadog.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Megs
osage59
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by osage59 »

My green Clarke "Woodstock" I found in a toy store for $4.95. And I found a plastic Dixie whistle at a garage sale for $.50!

Both sound better than I imagined they would!
sackbut
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sackbut »

Generation red top brass Bflat. Bought at Chester Folk Festival about 13 years ago for £2. Clear and mellow.