Confessions of a noob

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CelesteGB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Confessions of a noob

Post by CelesteGB »

Hey all,

I hope you all can help me get over a hump.

I started playing the whistle last May and played about 2 hours a day and progressed quite well. At this point, I could start adding ornamention but at the same time, my kids were off for the summer and I didn`t want to have them listen to me screech and stumble as I tried to insert ornamentation. Once school started back up, I really picked up the whistle again and progressed farther in Bill Och`s book. However, after a month or so of playing fairly regulary, my seventeen year old was home all the time and even though he was asleep, I didn`t feel `free`to play. Next my eleven year old daughter was home fairly frequently and again, I didn`t feel free to experiment.

I decided to analyze my reluctance to practice. One was having my family hear me but that wasn`t all of the reason. After much thinking, I came to the conclusion I was *afraid* to play. I was afraid of learning improperly. At first, when I took up the whistle, I thought it fairly logical and tunes were not exact. You had fun with it. After a bit, I found that there are rules on the best places to put ornamentation, the best places to breathe, the best places to slur and tongue, etc. Now I`m afraid to insert ornamentation because it might not sound right and the same goes with tonguing and slurring.

I wanted to learn the whistle for myself. I have no intentions of posting on youtube ( eeek, terrifying) or playing in sessions (four children makes going out on the weekends nonexistent :)) So why am I so worried that I will learn to play poorly? Pride in myself and there's nothing wrong with that.

My background is clarinet and thirty years ago I used to be first chair. For me, I'm very literal in reading music. If it's on the page, I can play it. Improvising (ornamentation, slurring, tonguing) is rather alien to me but that is what Irish Traditional Music is and I need to unwrap my brain :) I've also bought almost every single tutorial book in hopes of understanding when to slur, when to tongue, where to put ornamentation. I also hope to find tunes that have it included to I can learn it that way...because I'm very literal about it I guess. If I see it, I will play it :)

Anyone care to hit me over the head so I can get over this hump? :D

Oh and it hasn't stopped me from purchasing whistles...geez, that's pitiful hehe. Oh and I did get a Hoover NBD last week and my dogs will let me play without too much whining!

Celeste
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Confessions of a noob

Post by DrPhill »

My dance music playing leaves a lot to be desired, so take my opinions with a large pinch of low sodium salt substitute....
CelesteGB wrote:At first, when I took up the whistle, I thought it fairly logical and tunes were not exact. You had fun with it.
Sounds good to me. The best musicians are the ones that put fun into the music, so the audience can share it.
CelesteGB wrote:After a bit, I found that there are rules on the best places to put ornamentation, the best places to breathe, the best places to slur and tongue, etc. Now I`m afraid to insert ornamentation because it might not sound right and the same goes with tonguing and slurring.
Nuts to that. There are guidelines, and preferences and styles. If you like the effect then do it. Try recording yourself, and listen to the playback. Do you like it? if so keep it, if not ditch it.
CelesteGB wrote:I wanted to learn the whistle for myself. I have no intentions of posting on youtube ( eeek, terrifying) or playing in sessions (four children makes going out on the weekends nonexistent :)) So why am I so worried that I will learn to play poorly? Pride in myself and there's nothing wrong with that.
Nothing at all wrong in that, but pride in yourself doing what? Playing so perfectly that the people who are not hearing it think it is good? Or playing so that you are enjoying it (step 1), other people enjoy it (step 2), and you get asked back to play (step 3). I am told that there is another step where people pay you to play, but I have not got there yet, so I cannot be sure......
CelesteGB wrote:My background is clarinet and thirty years ago I used to be first chair. For me, I'm very literal in reading music. If it's on the page, I can play it. Improvising (ornamentation, slurring, tonguing) is rather alien to me but that is what Irish Traditional Music is and I need to unwrap my brain :) I've also bought almost every single tutorial book in hopes of understanding when to slur, when to tongue, where to put ornamentation. I also hope to find tunes that have it included to I can learn it that way...because I'm very literal about it I guess. If I see it, I will play it :)
So do two things - sometimes learn the basic tunes well enough to throw away the dots then play them from memory. At other times practice the ornaments outside the tunes (eg the exercises in the Larsen book). I bet that you will find the ornaments creeping into the tunes of their own accord. That is the right place for them, for you, for that tune, on that day, with that whistle.
CelesteGB wrote:Anyone care to hit me over the head so I can get over this hump? :D
Had enough of being hit?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

I was also first chair clarinet once upon a time (about forty years ago.) Then I discovered that second and third was much more fun. That's when music took a critical turn for me. Since then... It has to be fun. If it ain't fun, I ain't doing it. I stopped playing clarinet, started guitar and never looked back. A few years ago I picked up the whistle and flute.
Others may think my playing horrid, and that's okay. I'm not playing for them. I'm playing for me.
A lot of folks will tell you how important various aspects of the music are, but the single most important aspect is fun. Keep it fun, and you'll likely keep at it. Make it a task, a chore, or work... and it will go away.

Be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

CelesteGB wrote:Anyone care to hit me over the head so I can get over this hump?
ImageImageImage

I'll set aside my professional training and stick to the matter at hand.
CelesteGB wrote:My background is clarinet and thirty years ago I used to be first chair. For me, I'm very literal in reading music. If it's on the page, I can play it.
How did you get to that point, what was the process and what was your motivation? Remember It is called "playing" for good reason, not "working".
CelesteGB wrote:Improvising (ornamentation, slurring, tonguing) is rather alien to me but that is what Irish Traditional Music is and I need to unwrap my brain
Step away from the music notation. Fill your heart with the music so you do not have to read it. Traditional music is folk music and it is not improvisation. You do not have to make anything up on the spot. So get rid of that notion first. It is informal. It is about spirit and movement - it's about dance. :) There are no trad police that will come along and haul you off to the hoosegow for not playing "correctly". There is actually no "correct" way to play. There are some things to keep in mind however like rhythm and timing and melody. That is part of all music

You do not mention in your post that you listen to the music you might want to play on your whistle. Do you listen to that style of music? Is it emblazoned on your soul? Do you walk about the house humming and singing, tapping your foot, clapping your hands or slapping your thigh in time to a tune in your head? That's where you need to go. You need to listen to music until it becomes part of your being, so much so that you have to spit it out. Then you just try your darnedest to make what you play sound like the music on your mind.

You may notice that I am not one to suggest lessons. But a workshop can do wonders. It can help you assess where you are and what you need to work on. It will also probably give you some tunes to work on. And they will probably be presented to you so you work on them with the right rhythm and timing. And you'll get a good grounding on ornaments, why they are used and when they are appropriate and why. You'll probably be able to also discuss alternatives in given situations. Workshops come in all shapes and sizes from a hour or two on a Saturday afternoon to a week long camp situation. Depending on where you reside you may be able to find something convenient that does not disrupt the families activities. I have been playing for many years but I know when I need a fresh kick in the pants and then I go off to a workshop to recharge my batteries.

That's my rambling view of things anyway. Hope some of it helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

After a bit, I found that there are rules on the best places to put ornamentation, the best places to breathe, the best places to slur and tongue, etc.
I've found that the best place to breathe is when nature says it is. It's much better than waiting until the room starts spinning to take a breath. Been there, done that a few times. :oops:
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Feadoggie wrote:Is it emblazoned on your soul?
No, but I have "callous" engraved on my heart.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Feadoggie wrote:
CelesteGB wrote:Anyone care to hit me over the head so I can get over this hump?
ImageImageImage

I'll set aside my professional training and stick to the matter at hand.
CelesteGB wrote:My background is clarinet and thirty years ago I used to be first chair. For me, I'm very literal in reading music. If it's on the page, I can play it.
How did you get to that point, what was the process and what was your motivation? Remember It is called "playing" for good reason, not "working".
CelesteGB wrote:Improvising (ornamentation, slurring, tonguing) is rather alien to me but that is what Irish Traditional Music is and I need to unwrap my brain
Step away from the music notation. Fill your heart with the music so you do not have to read it. Traditional music is folk music and it is not improvisation. You do not have to make anything up on the spot. So get rid of that notion first. It is informal. It is about spirit and movement - it's about dance. :) There are no trad police that will come along and haul you off to the hoosegow for not playing "correctly". There is actually no "correct" way to play. There are some things to keep in mind however like rhythm and timing and melody. That is part of all music

You do not mention in your post that you listen to the music you might want to play on your whistle. Do you listen to that style of music? Is it emblazoned on your soul? Do you walk about the house humming and singing, tapping your foot, clapping your hands or slapping your thigh in time to a tune in your head? That's where you need to go. You need to listen to music until it becomes part of your being, so much so that you have to spit it out. Then you just try your darnedest to make what you play sound like the music on your mind.

You may notice that I am not one to suggest lessons. But a workshop can do wonders. It can help you assess where you are and what you need to work on. It will also probably give you some tunes to work on. And they will probably be presented to you so you work on them with the right rhythm and timing. And you'll get a good grounding on ornaments, why they are used and when they are appropriate and why. You'll probably be able to also discuss alternatives in given situations. Workshops come in all shapes and sizes from a hour or two on a Saturday afternoon to a week long camp situation. Depending on where you reside you may be able to find something convenient that does not disrupt the families activities. I have been playing for many years but I know when I need a fresh kick in the pants and then I go off to a workshop to recharge my batteries.

That's my rambling view of things anyway. Hope some of it helps.

Feadoggie

Best advise you will get in my humble opinion. Be it whistle or flute. :D
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
CelesteGB

Post by CelesteGB »

Ok, you all made good points and I feel much better...after being hit repeatedly over the head by Feadoggie I may even be able to type coherently ;)

I had an epiphany with all your help. I was forcing the issue instead of going with the music. I need a D'uh smilie :D One thing that would be beneficial for me is to have is back tracking so I can pretend I'm playing along. I think I have only one CD that will let me channel out the whistle and keep the back tracking...and I conveniently forgot that until now. :oops:

I suppose I would love for my husband or kids (yeah, right) to say, "Gee, you sound pretty good." I guess I'll just have to keep at it and remember all that you told me. I'll probably have more to add after I contemplate my idiocy.

Talk about the room spinning, the first time I got my NBD from Mack, the room did start spinning a bit :lol: Yes, it requires some breath control but compared to the clarinet (which I was starting to get back into about a year ago but discovered the whistle as a gateway), I can handle it. If I pass out, my dogs will lick me and wake me up, if only because they are thankful I shut up :P

Some of this reminds me of handling rolls...when I first tried rolls, I was struggling and forcing it. Then, viola, I wiggled my fingers and it just came out. Instead of thinking, "This finger flicked up, and then the bottom one flicked, then the note. I relaxed and wiggled it out. That was a proud moment.

Hmm, I was remembering a habit I had when I took piano ( 7 years) which was flinching visibly and saying "waitaminute, waitaminute" when I made a mistake. I then remembered that I had a teacher that used to whack her baton against the piano about 5 times when I made a mistake. It took me a while to break myself of flinching and saying, "waitaminute, waitaminute".

Off to beat my dogsImeantake them for a walk and possibly torture them with a whistle before the kids get home.
The_walrus0

Post by The_walrus0 »

I'm a beginner learning ornamentation as well!

:)

I'm quite young, but I notice an inherent flaw in myself in that I overthink dramatically. I pick something up, spend some time with it, realize I'm not 'good' and forget about it. Well now that I noticed that I can choose to ignore that nagging part of me that says I'm not progressing fast enough, or learning right, or learning the best way.

If it takes me ten years to learn the whistle that's just fine. I have the time of my life sitting in my room with that shiny little instrument. Everyday I improve just a tiny bit.

That's all it takes really. Of course you have to do things that at first you aren't 'good' at. I get uncomfortable trying to insert a cut or a strike when I'm not used to doing any ornamentation in songs. Eventually it's less uncomfortable and someday you won't even remember how hard it was.

Same goes with everything I do now. If it's not fun it's not worth spending my free time on.

Right now I'm learning to crochet too and I'm having the hardest time fiddling around with that stupid yarn, but in the end it's fun and when it stops being fun I stop working at it.

That's my two cents on life. :thumbsup:

Take it from a hula hooper. If it's not a fun hobbie then you're doing it wrong. :P
"Holding onto anger is like holding onto a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at someone. You are the one who gets burned."
- Not sure, but it wasn't me! A good quote to live by.
CelesteGB

Post by CelesteGB »

I know what you mean walrus. I was trying to cram all of my learning in also and expecting it to happen in a few months or a year or something. I guess that stuck in my head because when I first started playing, I'd watch youtube video's on tunes I liked, or trying to find a whistle I liked and I kept running across statements like, "i've been playing a few weeks now or a few months now, etc" and they sounded pretty darn good. What I had to realize is they may be playing other instruments as well. I really don't know what their background is and hey, they may not even been telling the truth hehe. After a thirty year break, it took a couple of weeks to learn the fingering and to refresh my reading of music. Maybe instead of "reading" music, I should make use of Transcribe! and just listen :)

Good luck on the crocheting. I have a pile of cross-stitch I should probably get to but a lot of times gaming takes over (rpg's for the PC mostly).

Oh and I may I so brilliantly observe that you are from Alaska? My 17 year old was born there :)

Did you all know that chiffandfipple is bad for WHOAD? :lol:
The_walrus0

Post by The_walrus0 »

I born here too! I'm only a bit older than your son really. :boggle:

Chiff and Fipple certainly encourages my horrendous case of WHOAD.

I do get ahead of myself though. Already planning to purchase a bunch of cheap Gen Ds and try a few tweaks. I was advised to develop a good ear.

So while I'm developing a good ear I might try out a few other brands of whistles while I'm at it. :love: I haven't tried a Walton's Little Black Whistle yet.

I do like my Feadog and Freeman Tweaked Gen D.

You know, I have this strange fear that something awful will happen to all my whistles and I won't have a spare one!

Soon I'll be stashing them under floor boards and hoarding them in a cabin in the woods. :poke:

Edit: I too have gamed obsessively. My favorite in EQ. I've been playing since you had to spend 5 hours installing all 10 discs that came with each expansion. :waah: I had to break away from games. My hula hoop and whistles command most of my time now, as does sketching and writing. If I even sit down to start a 'quick' session in an RPG I'll almost certainly spend at least two hours. I haven't played in a good month I'd guess.
"Holding onto anger is like holding onto a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at someone. You are the one who gets burned."
- Not sure, but it wasn't me! A good quote to live by.
MBalance

Post by MBalance »

CelesteGB it sounds like you could really benefit from throwing yourself out there. If you're shy, maybe make youtube videos using a camtasia trial or some other software and use slideshow pictures instead of a webcam of yourself. Just record yourself playing and play it back. I listen to myself on my DVR all the time and honestly I sound A LOT better in 3rd person than 1st person. I can sound breathy or off in 1st person but in 3rd it sounds very well played.

As for having a place to play your whistles. I'd say you have 2 options.

1: Remind your family that it's your house and you've earned the right to play whenever you want to. Might not seem very "nice" but I'm not really a people pleaser so this is my usual route. My gf looked at me funny one day when I was practicing scales so I asked what was up, she asked if I had to do that. So I chased her around the house playing high notes while laughing maniacally as she ran in fear. It works.

2: Find a safe haven. I sometimes like playing my instruments down at the pier. The birds chirp along with me early in the morning :) I'm sure you can find somewhere you'll enjoy to play at.

Unless you're planning on becoming a professional tin whistle player for a living, don't take it too seriously and just enjoy yourself. Play for how long you want to play only if you want to play. Play the songs you want to play. Ornaments or no ornaments, don't hassle yourself over it. I'm sure what you think doesn't sound great, sounds amazing to someone who has never played or even heard of a tin whistle.

Lastly I recommend writing a song. It doesn't have to be perfect or even good. Just do something like...

B A G C B A G D E F C D E F E D E F B A F E D E F A B

Add in some slides/record yourself doing it all and just have fun. I'm rather new to tin whistle but I've been playing the ocarina for a long time and when it comes to ornaments, there really is no "right time" to use them. Most people just use them when they want how they want to add a little flavor/difference to the songs. Ornaments are more about making the song yours than enhancing it. So get in there and play hard.

Again, if someone bothers you for playing- tell them to bugger off with an angry stare like this :swear:
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Feadoggie wrote:

Feadoggie

Nicely stated, Feadoggie, very nice indeed.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Feadoggie wrote:the music on your mind
that's what's wrong....

I got these bloody windmills :shock:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Denny wrote:I got these bloody windmills
For some reason I feel like playing chess. What a (le)grand idea!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.