from the newbie: what's so bad about Susato whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lauragayle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a musician, a music librarian, and grew up with parents who played bluegrass and gospel music. They also played old-time music and didn't know it. I love folk music -- and have tried to learn the tin whistle off and on for a while. Love the jokes here, the transcriptions, the links to tunes. What fun! So much music, so little time. :)

from the newbie: what's so bad about Susato whistles?

Post by lauragayle »

Greetings-
I have a Susato on order, and after reading these posts, I'm a little concerned... what is so bad about them? Please enlighten the newbie!

thanks!
Laura Gayle
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You may like yours a lot. I haven't liked the two I tried, but when I gave them to a friend, she did like them, so it's just personal taste, I'd say.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Fear not, there's nothing "wrong" with Susato whistles... they're just different.
They're certainly not for the person who desires a traditional tinwhistle sound, but they are still quite respectable whistles.
If you still have any worries, just listen to Mick Woodruff playing 'The Mason's Apron' on his Susato soprano D... that'll make you mad with anticipation to receive yours! ;)
http://www.fingertrip.net/whistle/index.html
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Isilwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Isilwen »

I have a Susato Kildare Sop. D, and I really like it a lot. It's got good volume, and is in excellent pitch, in addition to having a pretty tone. However, it can get kind of piercing on the high notes...
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Susatos were voted the most popular cheapo a while back. You can look for it on the main Chiff & Fipple web page.

Do you play another whistle, too? And what did you order, a VSB D, a SB D, or maybe a different key? I think that Susatos are not the best first whistle because they require quite a bit of courage & determination for the upper notes, and I remember being shy at first about playing the high notes...
/Bloomfield
lauragayle
Tell us something.: I'm a musician, a music librarian, and grew up with parents who played bluegrass and gospel music. They also played old-time music and didn't know it. I love folk music -- and have tried to learn the tin whistle off and on for a while. Love the jokes here, the transcriptions, the links to tunes. What fun! So much music, so little time. :)

Mason's Apron

Post by lauragayle »

raindog1970 wrote:Fear not, there's nothing "wrong" with Susato whistles... they're just different.
They're certainly not for the person who desires a traditional tinwhistle sound, but they are still quite respectable whistles.
If you still have any worries, just listen to Mick Woodruff playing 'The Mason's Apron' on his Susato soprano D... that'll make you mad with anticipation to receive yours! ;)
http://www.fingertrip.net/whistle/index.html
WHOA! That's fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing that! So, controlling the highs will be something to listen for! I'm really looking forward to this coming!
Laura Gayle
lauragayle

what I ordered..

Post by lauragayle »

Bloomfield wrote:Susatos were voted the most popular cheapo a while back. You can look for it on the main Chiff & Fipple web page.

Do you play another whistle, too? And what did you order, a VSB D, a SB D, or maybe a different key? I think that Susatos are not the best first whistle because they require quite a bit of courage & determination for the upper notes, and I remember being shy at first about playing the high notes...
I did read the Chiff & Fipple cumulation on popular cheapos -- I'm a librarian and can't resist the research urge!

I ordered a Susaso Kildare in D -- regular bore. And I have to confess to getting the laser etching -- to honor those onery Celts in my ancestry.

This (and two less expensive whistles) are the first I've ordered. My first instrument was clarinet and I've played (shhh) bass clarinet and recorder, so I'm not as worried about having enough wind, but modifying old habits and listening carefully to what these instruments require.

THANK YOU -- you all are a fabulous group of folks!
Laura Gayle
McHaffie

Good, Bad, Ugly.........

Post by McHaffie »

It's all in the ear of the beholder! :lol:

Like others have said and I'm sure will say, don't knock it 'till you've tried it. You may very well fall in love with your new whistle!!!

I've not ever played a Susato, but I've heard many of them, and I think they have a unique 'voice' to them... one of them was REALLY LOUD, but the others weren't quite so, and they sounded ok to me... so who am I to judge somone elses creation!?!?!

Just be sure to post a clip after you get it, or at least tell us about it!!!!!!!! :)

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

As stated, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Susato whistles.

They are quite nice, and they can be played quite sweetly, though it takes a good whistler to do it.

Here is an example:

http://www.flutesite.com/fianna/arran_boat.mp3

That is Sam McReynolds on a plain old Susato D whistle, me on German flute, Pat McReynolds on Yahama 12-string.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

As so many have said, it's all in what you like. Find what sings to you and enjoy it. I have some expensive whistles, and some inexpensive, including Susatos. I still have all the VSB's they make and I use them fairly regularly. They can be a little shrill and the tone is not as complex as a more expensive whistle, but sometimes you just need to have something to jam really loudly with.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

James?? That was you that did that wonderful recording of The Arran Boat Song???

WAAAY COOL!!!

That's one of my fav. online mp3 'downloads' to listen to... :D
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I like mine too. What I like is that there is no tweaking needed. They are in tune. They are fairly easy to play except for getting over the mental block to hit the high B. I have a VSB which is a tiny bit quieter than the SB you ordered. You're going to not want to play the upper octave in a small room. :boggle:

Enjoy.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

If you have only played Generation-type whistles, the first things you will notice are the greater volume and stability of the Susato. By stability I mean that it won't slip up an octave when you don't want it to, and also the notes are very centered in pitch (the intonation doesn't wobble much with changes in breath pressure). You do have to lean into the Susato (give it plenty of air) to play in the upper half of the second octave, and those notes could become uncomfortably loud. I keep a bag of small cotton balls (the kind used for removing makeup) with my whistles, and place one loosely in each ear if I'm playing much in the upper register. If you don't find the regular bore Susato to your liking, you might try the VSB. It's a quieter, gentler instrument, which I like very much because it's responsiveness and volume are very similar to my Burke whistles.
whistlebinkie

Post by whistlebinkie »

I've got a bunch of Susatos and love-um. F E Eb D C Bb A G and a Low D
They are louder than the traditional whistles but they're alot easier to play in tune. I ordered the whole kit and kaboodle at once and got a 20% discount. The VSB F E Eb D sound great (after a little practice in the upper octave) I think they're a great buy for the price.
Martin Milner

and you get a thumb rest!

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Laura,

Susatos take a bit more breath, and breath control, than many cheaper whistles, and as has been said above, you need to be bold with it - shrinking violets need not apply. This is especially true playing G and up in the upper octave, you really need to attack the notes.

For a total beginner to both playing music and wind instruments in general, this is usually too much to cope with on top of trying to read the music, put the right fingers down etc. As you have experience of clarinet and other wind instruments, you should have no trouble. I played clarinet (albeit 20 years ago...) and it still took me over a year of playing whistle to have the confidence to use my Susatos. I have a Kildare like yours, and a Dublin (untuneable).

Susatos have really spot on tuning, need no tweaking (in my opinion) and are loud enough to be heard in a big session. I've seen them used by professionals in Ireland, especially when playing into a microphone.

Plus, they come with a thumbrest! If you don't use it for its intended purpose, leave it on but slide it down to the bottom end - the added mass can help stabilise some notes (I think this is a bit like having vent holes - see the vent hole discussion).

all the best!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing