Cooking: Failed attempts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Cooking: Failed attempts

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have been having an off week in the kitchen. Monday I tried to make a mini batch of some pulled noodles (think flat round udon noodles) for a hot pot I was to make the next day. I ended up with something that no mater how much you boiled it tasted like chewy paste. (could have used lower protein flour and made them thinner)

Tuesday I was making cranberry-apple crisp and forgot to add sugar to the topping. A little syrup made it passable, but I have been making that for breakfast close to once a week for years.

Yesterday it looks like my sourdough starter* died on me so now I have a ball of dough in the refrigerator awaiting some sort of leavening to be introduced.

No real disasters, but defiantly not one of my better weeks.

*Kind of an oxymoron in Minnesota.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Cooking: Failed attempts

Post by mutepointe »

My wife ruined a pot roast on Sunday. I'm going to show her, from start to finish what to do with one of those things one day. The roast was still in the freezer Sunday morning when she said that she was going to marinate it for dinner. OK. Then when she cooked it, I am fairly certian, (I never entered the kitchen), OK, I am sure, she never added moisture. The next day, she said we'd have hot roast beef sandwiches. I thought OK, the gravy will help. I figured she'd slice the roast and warm it in the gravy. She heated up the roast and gravy seperately.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

A few days ago one of my roommates was boiling eggs and apparently forgot about them. I heard a few loud pops and went out to discover exploded eggs on the stove in a pot with no water. And the room was filled with smoke.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Awhile back, I made some quick bread that turned out starchy and very dense. I realized later that I'd used corn starch instead of baking powder.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Making chicken soup one day, I decided that paprika was going to be just the thing. I grabbed the little red box, opened it, and dumped out into the soup a hefty mound of black pepper.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:Making chicken soup one day, I decided that paprika was going to be just the thing. I grabbed the little red box, opened it, and dumped out into the soup a hefty mound of black pepper.
Some fresh chopped cilantro would take care of that. My black pepper comes as these little "bb" sized round thingys I have to put them in a grinder to get powdered pepper. A couple of weeks ago I poured milk into the sugar bowl one morning thinking I was pouring it into my tea.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

dwest wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Making chicken soup one day, I decided that paprika was going to be just the thing. I grabbed the little red box, opened it, and dumped out into the soup a hefty mound of black pepper.
Some fresh chopped cilantro would take care of that. My black pepper comes as these little "bb" sized round thingys I have to put them in a grinder to get powdered pepper. A couple of weeks ago I poured milk into the sugar bowl one morning thinking I was pouring it into my tea.
Sweet.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
trill

Post by trill »

One of my most memorable and disagreeable episodes involved a microwave oven and cashews. I tried "toasting" raw cashews in the microwave. I walked away for *just a moment* (well.. ok, several moments.. anyway, too many moments). When I opened up the oven, the smoke that poured out was *really* dense and awful smelling ! I rushed to open every door and window in the house trying to clear it. Yechh !
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I once tried roasting chestnuts in the oven and forgot to slit the shells first.

"Hmm, what was that pop," sez I. "Don't know," sez my SO, and she opens the oven to investigate. A few seconds later we're running from the kitchen in terror, chased by volleys of gooey chestnut bombs.

I don't remember how long it took us to clean up. Probably as long as it took my parents after the great "exploding cajeta" incident when I was a kid.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I.D.10-t wrote: No real disasters, but defiantly not one of my better weeks.
Better to be defiant about it than to curl up, depressed, like a blob of inactive sourdough. :)

As for the sourdough: I neglected my starter for too long and it was nearly dead. I revived it in this way: First I poured off the black water ("Hooch") and replaced it with an equal amount of clean tap water, which I stirred in. Then I removed a single tablespoon of starter, mixed it with a tablespoon of flour (mine is whole wheat) and a tablespoon of warm water, and left it in a covered bowl in the warmest spot of the kitchen for about 12 hours. It had a couple bubbles by then, but only a couple -- just enough to show that something was still alive, but barely. I kept feeding it every 12 hours (which doubled the volume as I added flour and water), and by the time it reached about 3-4 cups of starter it was getting reasonably bubbly after 12 hours. I made a batch of bread and put the rest of the rejuvenated starter back in the fridge. I'm trying to get back into using it every week now, which is the schedule it was accustomed to before I got too overwhelmed with life last fall. Some flavor has been sacrificed; it isn't as sour as it used to be. However, I made some nice sweet-and-sourdough raisin bread out of it which was surprisingly good, but I shouldn't talk about that here because I considered it a success.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

I am always experimenting. Usually my experiments work out, so I made the mistake of trying one out at a Unitarian Universalist dinner party. I noticed that raw flax seeds tasted like pecans. A made a pie replacing an equal amount of pecans with flax seed. The seeds floated to the top of the pie and got rather crunchy toasty. While the flavor and texture might have worked in another context, it was not at all pecan like or an aesthetic triumph. One person was impressed by it and though her family would love it. Her family was in for an interesting gastronomic experience.
The_walrus0

Post by The_walrus0 »

I eat peanut butter with cinnamon in it and an apple everyday for breakfast and the cinnamon container looks exactly like the sweet mesquite seasoning container.

You all know where this is going.
"Holding onto anger is like holding onto a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at someone. You are the one who gets burned."
- Not sure, but it wasn't me! A good quote to live by.
Ghostbuster

Post by Ghostbuster »

I.D.10-t wrote:I have been having an off week in the kitchen. Monday I tried to make a mini batch of some pulled noodles (think flat round udon noodles) for a hot pot I was to make the next day. I ended up with something that no mater how much you boiled it tasted like chewy paste. (could have used lower protein flour and made them thinner)

Tuesday I was making cranberry-apple crisp and forgot to add sugar to the topping. A little syrup made it passable, but I have been making that for breakfast close to once a week for years.

Yesterday it looks like my sourdough starter* died on me so now I have a ball of dough in the refrigerator awaiting some sort of leavening to be introduced.

No real disasters, but defiantly not one of my better weeks.

A usual week at my place. Well, when you are really hungry - you it everything that can be chewed :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Monday I tried to make a mini batch of some pulled noodles (think flat round udon noodles) for a hot pot I was to make the next day.
All else aside, did you find learning the mechanics of it difficult? I've always thought that would be a good skill to have, but it seems like it would take years to master (and who has to eat your lesser attempts in the meantime?).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The version of "pulled noodles" was more like a flat round noodle, not a long thin style noodle. Different flour and a different technique. I made the noodle with some success and was able to make an eatable noodle, but nothing I'd serve to guests. I'll stick to rolling out egg noodles if I need to make a noodle dish, and I'll stick to buying things like udon and rice noodles.

At least my starter dough is alive again...
...guess that means that HDSarah and I are now both necromancers.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."