House on fire! What instrument(s) do you grab?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

House on fire! What instrument(s) do you grab?

Post by LimuHead »

Scenario: Your house has caught fire. Everyone is accounted for and safe. You have 3 minutes remaining to grab whatever instruments you want. What do you grab?

My answer:

I always keep a whistle in my everyday bag, which always goes out the door with me, so I'm covered for whistles. I'd make a mad grab for my Grenaditte flute, my Wheatstone 64 button English concertina, my Weltmeister 120 button piano accordion, and my performance ukuleles (8-string Kamaka, 4 string tenor Lehua, custom Graziano tenor).

Now it's your turn ........
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: House on fire! What instrument(s) do you grab?

Post by mutepointe »

My wife and I have discussed this. Damn the instruments, the insurance will get us better ones. We're saving the sheet music. We keep meaning to put the sheet music bookcase on wheels for easier escape. We have a boatload of all types of sheet music but the most important is the church music sheet music. Most of it is out of print. Most of it is filled with notes, transpositions, arrangement variations, and when I was learning new instruments, tabulation.

At one point, we were using a version of Silent Night that had one set of guitar chords that came with the music, and three different handwritten transpositions, none of which I was actually using the last time we used that music.

After awhile, I got smart and started dating the notes by year, so that in 2011, we were using that note and just ignore all the other previous notes handwritten on the music. In my younger days, there were penciled circles all over some songs, that was an indication that something tricky was happening there or I needed to maintain and not speed up the tempo.

We would be very happy to have avoided the need to get rid of all the clutter too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Three minutes would be enough for me to grab the dulcimer, the guitar and the bag of whistles, which contains fifteen whistles, two NAFs, a syrinx, two bullroarers, three harmonicas and two kazoos.

"Three minutes to get out"? That sounds hauntingly familiar for some reason.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Most of them are kept in one place, so with three minutes I could grab a lot.
My mandolin for sure, and my gig bag which already contains my favorite, most played whistles and flute. Next, probably my wife's and my good recorders.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Our home is fairly old, I think we would have close to fifteen minutes. Newer homes just go poof!
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Forget the instruments, not that I have much in that department, I'm grabbing the case of Guinness and my wife is grabbing her bottle of wine so we can self-medicate whilst we watch our lives go up in smoke from the street :sniffle:
Last edited by ancientfifer on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
NZJLY

Post by NZJLY »

Guitar, and the Putorino I turned out of Kauri

John
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's not exactly a hypothetical scenario here, as twice in the last 10 years I've had to evacuate at very short notice while wildfires reduced large swaths of my neighborhood to cinders. Thankfully, my home was eventually unscathed both times. But I know exactly which instruments I took. And let's just say that if you think you know how you will handle the decision-making process under those life-threatening circumstances, you'll probably surprise yourself. Also, it's amazing how much stuff you can fit in an evacuation vehicle when you know that whatever you take is all you will have left in the world, and every decision you make is forever.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dwest

Post by dwest »

I use to be a federal firebug, I've burned thousands and thousands of acres never once burned my home down. Do have a friend who burned down a US Coast Guard Station, accidentally, that was embarrassing :twisted:
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Bouzouki because it's a one-of-kind made by my best friend, who is luthier. Also my banjo, because I could sell it and replace my burnt whistles with money to spare. I don't ever play that banjo, but it's definitely worth more than any whistle!
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

MTGuru wrote:It's not exactly a hypothetical scenario here, as twice in the last 10 years I've had to evacuate at very short notice while wildfires reduced large swaths of my neighborhood to cinders. Thankfully, my home was eventually unscathed both times. But I know exactly which instruments I took. And let's just say that if you think you know how you will handle the decision-making process under those life-threatening circumstances, you'll probably surprise yourself. Also, it's amazing how much stuff you can fit in an evacuation vehicle when you know that whatever you take is all you will have left in the world, and every decision you make is forever.
This makes me wonder just how far apart we live. I watched the flames come over the hills but never quite had to evacuate.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I've been instructed by my wife to forget the instruments. What she wants more than anything else is her large wooden trunk on wheels of Christmas ornaments that sits in the living room. And, of course, I will do what my wife says. I have a lot of instruments: two violins, a viola, a cello, a guitar and two mandolins, two keyboards, two frame drums, and two of almost everything. Contrary to others on this forum, none of my instruments do I think of as "irreplaceable".
maki

Post by maki »

All of them.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I've been instructed by my wife to forget the instruments. What she wants more than anything else is her large wooden trunk on wheels of Christmas ornaments that sits in the living room. And, of course, I will do what my wife says.
I know where she's coming from. Our Christmas ornament collection is without a doubt the most monetarily valuable thing we own. I could tell you where every ornament came from too. However, it's snuggly packed away in a closet.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chas

Post by chas »

That's a question that requires some thought. if I take the harp, that's it. If I take the mountain dulcimer, I can also take an armful of flutes and whistles. Or, I can take two armfuls of flutes and whistles. The first is right out. I think the two absolute necessities are the Olwell Rottenburgh, since it's one of about a half dozen and he has no intention of making more, and my wife's Muramatsu. Close behind are C and D Thin Weasels, an Olwell Nicholson, and Cameron Grenser. I think I could get all those plus the Blue Lion dulcimer.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.