WHISTLE MAKERS CONVENTION

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

WHISTLE MAKERS CONVENTION

Post by ytliek »

Is there a professional national or regional Whistle Makers Convention? Organization? A location where all of the whistle makers get together for thoughtful discussion concerning all aspects of their whistlemaking. Or is it only Chiff & Fipple online?

The reason I ask is in today's world, I'm not pleased with having to purchase items "sight unseen" online, mailorder direct. Even with photos (and the closeups too) poor lighting, lousy photography... the real feel of a whistle is not identifiable. The "CRAFTSMANSHIP" (texture) cannot be individually felt and realized. The sound (audible) cannot be cleanly heard by the "individual's" ear. Yes, I know, sound files are slammed and uploaded on the internet daily and even the amateurs can do it from their remote cell phones. Everyone's computer plays back differently (hows that static, skip, glitch doing?). Yes, I know word of mouth (forum) is what most of us go by today, but, a good, one or two location (or more) convention would surely benefit everyone in their search for the ultimate instrument. And yes I know, Chiff & Fipple is the right place to start. Thank you C & F
Feadoggie

Re: WHISTLE MAKERS CONVENTION

Post by Feadoggie »

Why all the yelling?
ytliek wrote:Is there a professional national or regional Whistle Makers Convention? Organization? A location where all of the whistle makers get together for thoughtful discussion concerning all aspects of their whistlemaking.
No.
ytliek wrote:Or is it only Chiff & Fipple online?
There have been several other forums set up for makers of whistles to discuss things but this is pretty much it.

Whistles and Irish music, in fact folk music in general, is a social circle. It revolves largely around sessions, workshops and festivals. So if you get out and about you'll find the players, the makers, the collectors, the wannabes and the camp followers in general. That's my view at least.

But don't yell! Thanks.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Denny

Post by Denny »

whistle makers travel budget, innit

most of 'em don't live on the same bus route
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tommy Dion and Chuck Tilbury live in the same state. They met once at Chucks shop and shared whistle making stories, techniques, methods, secrets, and evan played a few tunes together. The high light of the convention was when they tried to sell each other a whistle. lol I think Tommy would be willing to host another whistle convention at his ranch in Santa Fe, Texas. However it is on a cul de sac and no bus route. Nearest airport is in Houston. If the convention was held during rodeo season a person might be abel to tag along with one of the trail riders that pass through Santa Fe. Any whistling cowboys out there? I think there was a convention or two in New York state hosted by the Sweet whistle/flute makers. Maybe Paul Busman will pass by and expound a little about it.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:Why all the yelling?
ytliek wrote:Is there a professional national or regional Whistle Makers Convention? Organization? A location where all of the whistle makers get together for thoughtful discussion concerning all aspects of their whistlemaking.
No.

Thank you
ytliek wrote:Or is it only Chiff & Fipple online?
There have been several other forums set up for makers of whistles to discuss things but this is pretty much it.

Whistles and Irish music, in fact folk music in general, is a social circle. It revolves largely around sessions, workshops and festivals. So if you get out and about you'll find the players, the makers, the collectors, the wannabes and the camp followers in general. That's my view at least.

But don't yell! Thanks.

Feadoggie
oops!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hmmmmm..............
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Yes, we did have Northeast Chiff and Fipple gatherings 2 or three times and they were really a lot of fun. Walt Sweet hosted us at his streamside property. We had one at a park in Northampton too. People came from as far as NYC, NJ, and Maine. I'd love to see this happen again. Maybe as summer approaches I'll put the idea out there.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I heard Dale was forming a Super PAC as seed money for our lunar colony, but nothing ever came of it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

crookedtune wrote:I heard Dale was forming a Super PAC as seed money for our lunar colony, but nothing ever came of it.

Our donation checks were cashed at a Swiss bank. :-?
And the first fifty to sign up got window seats.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

brewerpaul wrote:Yes, we did have Northeast Chiff and Fipple gatherings 2 or three times and they were really a lot of fun.
that's what I mean... something

and I get the "travel" expense thing, that's why I said regional or more than one, maybe 4? N, E, S, W

p.s. pls check your PM box
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote:that's why I said regional or more than one, maybe 4? N, E, S, W
There are many Irish festivals (as well as other folk festivals) throughout the country, Many of the members here attend those festivals. I have met quite a few Chiffers at some of these as well as at workshops and concerts. Many of us go where the music is. It's a small effort to post a query here just before an event and ask who else may be attending and then make a plan to meet up, have some tunes, maybe share a libation and swap the whistles around. I sat next to Michael Copeland at one festival concert a while back. Makers go where the music is too.

I never made it to one of the Northeast gatherings but that was because they were usually scheduled during festival and workshop season while I was already on the road usually heading away from that gathering. A dedicated Chiff gathering is a nice idea. Would you like to organize one?

But without such a gathering there are other ways to share our enthusiasm for whistles and the music they play.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:
ytliek wrote:those festivals. I have met quite a few Chiffers at some of these as well as at workshops and concerts. Would you like to organize one?

But without such a gathering there are other ways to share our enthusiasm for whistles and the music they play.

Feadoggie
I'm for all of those... festivals, workshops, and concerts. My original idea was directed at a "concentration" of whistlers, just like the C & F Forum is already a group.

Yes, I would like to organize something, (keep in mind I'm a newbie to whistle) and I don't know how much draw I could attract. BUT, I am certainly willing to help out, doing the dirty work/bull work etc.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Which seashore are you at?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by weedie »

Dear Ytliek,
My advice (unsolicited,I know :) ) ) to you would be to forget all about the stuff you're talking about in this,and your other thread .....get a tweaked Whistle from Jerry Freeman, an Irish Whistle Tutor from somewhere and begin your Musical journey.
These two items will cost you less than $50.00....Not a great deal of money in the grand scheme of things .....and you're off and away.
I think you're 'overcomplicating' things a wee bit :) !
I hope you'll view the above as a helpful hint from one fellow Music lover to another.. :thumbsup: ..
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I always forget about those Irish Whistle Tutor books. I agree.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦