One man's trash....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: One man's trash....

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Good Lord...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

The seller is Mark Kaylor. He's proprietor of a repair/restoration shop in Philadelphia. He's placed various lots of flute and clarinet parts up for auction on eBay for some time.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

It looks to me that anything of value (good keys, silver work, etc.) have been removed, and what is left is still "one man's trash".
NZJLY

Post by NZJLY »

At that price, I would be tempted, just to have a play with them, and to try various combinations.
Only trouble is that postage would cost more than the items :really:

John
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Eee, the photos make me think of a mass grave. :-(
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

I occasionally get asked where one can go out and buy keys. This would be a good resource for someone who wanted vintage keys on a modern body. The footjoint keys are actually tempting for this (though better touches could be fitted).

Casey
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

That really made me laugh Cathy! I got a weird feeling about the photo and it wasn't until you posted that I knew what the feeling was.
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Eee, the photos make me think of a mass grave. :-(
Yah, it's like "FrankenFlute, the Prequel" , BWAAAHHHHHH! :devil:
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Price of trash went up today.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

W-e-l-l. . .I'm not entirely sure this vein of ore is entirely played out. I bought a Franken-flute from Mark a couple of weeks ago and am now 'doing it up'. It appears to sit nicely in tune at A=440, with a bore quite similar to other "New York" or "American Short foot" flutes I have seen. It might be Cocus. . . So this 'trash' will certainly yield low C and C# 'grasshopper' keys, as well as a few matched sets of headjoint slides and tuning barrel 'recievers'. And as Casey has remarked, it could easily yield replacement keys, springs, pins, and pillars. Some of these parts will yield Cocus-wood suitable for block replacements, and even possibly complete enough pieces for tenon transplants.
Clearly this trove was some technicians 'junk' box for parts and repairs. . .and could be again. Sure, some of this stuff has been strip mined. . .but the 'tailings' still have some yield to them. I know one family who made their first million by being late to the Yukon Strike. . .and buying a tailings pile a hundred feet high, by a hundred feet wide, by about a mile long. These 'played out' tailings yielded a fortune in HIGH GRADE COPPER. It's all in how you look at it. . . :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I will probably be selling a pile like this one day...
German junk flutes and cracked ebony, gee I think I will pass on that one!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
MBalance

Post by MBalance »

I like how he threw in "I have no idea if there are complete flutes to be made in this lot, consider it parts, who knows what you'll find!!"

Lol

That'd be like selling a jar of wheat pennies without checking to see if they have that 1000 dollar double stamp on them. Good for advertising but I doubt anyone would just randomly sell a box of potential treasure.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I think Kaylor purchased the inventory of an old instrument distributor so these were part of larger odd lots when he got them. I was a little disappointed that the spotlight was shown on his auctions. It was a cheap source of parts at the start of it.

He has a blog here in case anyone is curious. I do not know him. I'm just aware he's operating around here.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Ah,well Feadoggie, it's a lot like beachcombing. The tide comes in, the tide goes out. Sometimes there' treasure, sometimes it's just radioactive debris from Fukushima. . . :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi