Saxophone players: does sax hurt flute embouchure

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Fifthtry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Saxophone players: does sax hurt flute embouchure

Post by Fifthtry »

Curious if there are any sax players out there. I've started and learned quite quickly -- for me -- that playing sax makes my flute emoubouchre sux. It'll come back after 5-10 minutes, and playing whistle accelerates it. I found that fascinating and wonder if there are any others out there who can speak to this. Thanks for any wisdom.

John
North Carolina USA
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Saxophone players: does sax hurt flute embouchure

Post by plunk111 »

I play trumpet as well as my dearly beloved Irish flute and I find that the time period is probably more like 20 - 30 minutes before I'm back to "normal" on the flute.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

I know there's a past thread or three on the topic somewhere, but too lazy to find it. But, I tried to double on sax and flute as a young aspiring jazz player back in the day. Once I decided that flute was my main instrument, gave up the sax, because i didn't want to lose that "pure" tone on the flute. I know there are some great jazz flute players who don't double for that reason. but I guess it depends on the individual because I have seen players go from one to the other in one tune and still sound good on both. However, IMHO, if you want a really strong flute embouchure, and resulting "pure" sound, stick to the flute, but that's just me.

Russ
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I agree. I started messing with clarinet a few years ago, and quickly put it down for the very same reason.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I saw Fathead Newman play a few years ago and he switched back and forth without problem. I think a person can do what they want if they are willing to practice and put their minds to it. I have played Irish flute and Klezmer clarinet with little personal harm (to myself).
Denny

Post by Denny »

Fifthtry wrote:playing sax makes my flute emoubouchre sux. It'll come back after 5-10 minutes
it will get better the more you do it.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

I've always been impressed by the fact that most jazz players that double on sax and flute play alot more sax than flute, yet when they switch off, play beautifully. I've never had any interest at all in sax, but if I did, I wouldn't let the notion of it interfering with my flute embouchure stop me for a nano second.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

I've had the same experience with my flute embouchure needing a little recovery time after playing sax, but the real problem for me is the shift in the feel of the music. Both swing in jazz and lilt in Irish music are undefinable, variable, and and essential to the feel of the music, but they are very different. In an ideal world the transition from sax to flute would make me sound like Niall Keegan, but the reality is that I sound like third-rate studio musician playing a smooth-jazz version of "Danny Boy".
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Fifthtry wrote:Thanks for any wisdom.
Eric Dolphy! :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Denny

Post by Denny »

tsackett wrote:the real problem for me is the shift in the feel of the music
ah, not schizophrenic, eh!

oddly I never had that problem...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

In non-trad circles, sax players often, if not usually, double as flute players - many times, it's considered a real detriment if you can't cover the other instrument. An embouchure shouldn't decline because you use your lips a bit differently; it takes getting used to, that's all, and practice on both. I was told by several ITM flute players that whistle will ruin an embouchure; that's clearly not true, although these folks believed it, and - if you're not spending adequate time on both, it seems true at first. Again, I think it's a matter of too much time off on one instrument over the other, or not enough time (on flute) in the first place, and not the playing of two different (or more) instruments in general.
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Here's a jazzman that doubled as good as any http://youtu.be/TL__KIO7aXE , Tim Eyerman.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Fifthtry wrote:Thanks for any wisdom.
Eric Dolphy! :)
Yes! Dolphy was brilliant on a few instruments including flute and sax as well as the cool Bass clarinet stuff he did while playing with Coltrane's group.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Unseen122 wrote:Yes! Dolphy was brilliant on a few instruments including flute and sax as well as the cool Bass clarinet stuff he did while playing with Coltrane's group.
He's someone who's consistently captivated me as (IMHO) one of the most creative and exciting musicians to grace any genre, and perhaps as much for that distinctive bass clarinet work (not just with Coltrane) as anything!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?