A name for a band

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: A name for a band

Post by Denny »

that isn't even close to the things I wouldn't tell ya here :P
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:If it's a stew of wee roses you want, for the closest thing possible you'd have to look to Sweden:

Darn Hippies.
cboody

Post by cboody »

MTGuru wrote:Róisín Duo
NO NO, Róisín Dubh is short for Rosin da bow.....
cboody

Post by cboody »

As for a name I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a group to use "Sine Nomine." Couldn't get them to accept it though....
loublanc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by loublanc »

Róisín band ???
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Nanohedron wrote:If it's a stew of wee roses you want, for the closest thing possible you'd have to look to Sweden:

Now you're talking! That's the stuff. The breakfast of champions! :thumbsup:
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Roísin Hue? :)
*don't think i am helping much either..*
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
loublanc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by loublanc »

I phoned some friends in Dublin and Galway and they like "Róisín's Stew"

Maybe it sounds stupid but it is not so strange in Ireland ^^ .. I was in a Irish band many years ago called Pig Swill ..

Finally I think the name will be Róisín's Stew ... not the swedish one :puppyeyes:

Thank you guys .. was very funny .. I'll keep u in touch about the band :thumbsup:

This is a lovely forum ... I'll stay on

slán
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

cboody wrote:As for a name I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a group to use "Sine Nomine." Couldn't get them to accept it though....
I wanted "TBA". Same result. C'mon, it was frickin' brilliant.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Our loose little affiliation of musicians is in the habit of calling itself "Gan Ainm" whenever we can't come up with anything else.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
cboody

Post by cboody »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Our loose little affiliation of musicians is in the habit of calling itself "Gan Ainm" whenever we can't come up with anything else.
I tried that too, and had no luck. TBA is not bad. We settled on Turtle Creek because it means absolutely nothing. We play all sorts of tunes from all sorts of traditions so we thought a meaningless name was a good idea.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Bands I have been in include:

The Heads of the Valleys (or "The Hot Vs" for short) - lead singer Green, the one who went on to form Scritti Politti;
The Gang of Four (not the punk band of the same name, who, honestly, stole that name from us);
Norman's Fabulous Cousins (we were the "No 1 band in Aberdare" until The Stereophonics came along);
The Fox Band (leader Jim Fox, who is a bit of a character);
and currently The Hooleys, which is a band originally formed by Peter Kennedy, rest his soul, and which is now a band of varying size with a core of me and a guitarist called Pete.

I like all those name. :)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

The three best players in the Folk Club often play together. They haven't had a band name, ever, I don't think. As their initials are A, D and S, they tried to call themselves "DAS", but wiseacres (who, me?) kept calling them either "SAD" or "ASD". It sounds as though people have started to call them "The Trio" and they might adopt that. Or it might have been "los Trios".
The other group that plays out of the Marlow Bottom Acoustic Club call themselves "The Bottom Line".
I'm not in a group. There was that thing that said "Does not play well with others". :wink:

If it was an Irish Band name ye were after, how could you do better than "Yer Wans"? I bet when Van's Band called themselves "Them" they meant to take the name "Themselves" but were argued out of it for being too long.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!