What was your first tin Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What was your first tin Whistle?

Post by jiminos »

a feadog. still have it. still play it...

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Feadoggie wrote:It was a Clarke original in C in 1968-9.
Feadoggie
Same, 1970.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
henryz

Post by henryz »

Soodlum's - bought at a flea market years ago.
Gawn

Post by Gawn »

A Shaw D that I bought in a shop while hiking/hitchhiking in Donegal in 1996. I loved it because it was the only one that didn't contain any plastic...
Bought it together with Geraldine Cotters tinwhistle tutor and thus had a companion during my outdoor evenings there. Only later I discovered that it is somehow out of tune - the lowest note is C# rather than D... :(
I still have it in my collection, but I haven't played it much since...

Georg
Katharine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Walton D; bought at a Highland Games 'cause there weren't many choices, had no idea how it would sound. Still love it and the sound, though I think I need to do some tweaking to it (seems to have troubles ever since I detached the headjoint even though all I did was soak it in warm water-- getting breathy-ish squeaks and skips that I never had before I did it. If anyone has any tips for getting rid of that-- silicone grease??-- I'd appreciate it. Hope I didn't ruin the whistle.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
plaidpotato

Post by plaidpotato »

A Clarke Original. A little under a year ago. I was shopping for a harmonica online, and somehow came across tin whistles. I went to Youtube to listen to a few clips and I thought, yeah, I want to play that.

I did a little research, and read somewhere that Clarke Sweetones were supposedly great whistles for beginners, so I went to Amazon to buy one of those. But I liked the look of the Original better, with the black and gold, and I liked the idea of wood fipples better than plastic, so I ended up ordering the Original instead.

The next day, I went back and ordered a Sweetone, since they were so cheap. But the Original came first in the mail, so that was my first. I fell in love with it right away, and more or less forgot about harmonicas (infernal little contraptions).

Now I've got 10 whistles (plus there were 4 or 5 others that I either sold, gave away, or lost), but I still love my Clarke Original. It was my very favorite and most-played whistle until just recently, but has now been surpassed by my Mack Hoover Narrow Bore D and Impempe Bb, both of which are just beautiful in looks and sound.

I never did like that Sweetone, though. I thought it sounded cheap and nasty, and I ended up giving it to a hobo who was camped out in a freeway median where I'd go sometimes to practice last summer. I hope he liked it better than me.
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

Mine was a Generation D with the blue head. I found it behind some books on a shelf when I was looking for something else. My dad had bought it years earlier with the intention of learning to play it but he never did. I more than made up for that and seldom went anywhere without it for the next few months.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Feadog D. Couldn't play it. Got a Mellow Dog from Jerry. Learned how to play. Feadog plays just fine now. Obviously I was the problem, not the Feadog!

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Red top Gen C back in about 1980. I never really got to grips with it at the time. I kept it (and several others ie Gens D and F and high G, and a Clarke C) in a drawer until 2 years ago when I ferreted them out. I haven't looked back since.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

A Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog (D), in December, 2006. Great whistle!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
cboody

Post by cboody »

Somewhere in the dim and distant past I bought 3 at about the same time: And Oak, a Sweetone, and something else. The Oak was a fine sound but badly out of tune. The Sweetone was spot on in tuning but not a particularly interesting sound, and started my love affair with conical bore instruments. I happened on a Copeland back in the early days and that remains my axe of choice. The other one disappeared. It is interesting to read the various reports of problems/joys of those first instruments. And it is also interesting to see how the same model were apparently quite different in "quality". No wonder Jerry Freeman is in business.
Happy Whistler

Post by Happy Whistler »

Mr Ed wrote:A Waltons D that I bought a long time ago. It sat in the box until I quit smoking. Now it's the standard I'd like to reach with the whistles I make. Haven't reached that goal yet.
My first, a used waltons D got it to help me stop smoking, worked a treat haven't had a ciggy since the whistle arrived.
Now have around 7.
Wonderful things whistles, should have got one years and years ago.
I am said I, to no one there. (Neil Diamond)
maki

Post by maki »

Katharine wrote:Walton D; bought at a Highland Games 'cause there weren't many choices, had no idea how it would sound. Still love it and the sound, though I think I need to do some tweaking to it (seems to have troubles ever since I detached the headjoint even though all I did was soak it in warm water-- getting breathy-ish squeaks and skips that I never had before I did it. If anyone has any tips for getting rid of that-- silicone grease??-- I'd appreciate it. Hope I didn't ruin the whistle.)
Try wrapping the top of the tube with teflon pumbers tape.
Don't over do it, or you'll risk splitting the plastic head.
I'm thinking that your "breathy-ish squeaks and skips" could be a lack of seal were the two parts join.
Good luck.
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

Mine was Shaw D, still have it and quite like it
although a bit too loud for me.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Clarke "C" - 35p, bought in Dundee.
Bejasus - I'm a poet :)
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"