Copley Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
skyspirit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Copley Flutes

Post by skyspirit »

Dave Copley is the best. Probably all know that already. I am getting him to offset the r3 on the copley delrin D that I got from this board. He is doing it for the cost of shipping to and back to me.

Wow. That is gracious. He has been great in our emails back and forth. I am sending it to him next week.

That alone is reason enough to get a flute from him. He will work with you any way he can.

Just wanted to pass alone my positive experience with Dave.

The D delrin that he makes really does sound like a wooden flute and his emb is awesome.

:D

Rob Robison aka skyspirit
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Copley Flutes

Post by Peter Duggan »

Shhh, don't tell everyone till he's finished making stuff for me! :wink:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Skyspirit, beware of the method to the man's willingness to please! I'm guessing this won't be your last interaction with Dave. :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Phillip Rolfes

Post by Phillip Rolfes »

Dave's a good friend of mine. I've been playing his flutes since 2004 and remember when he was first getting started. He really has come a long way since then. I maintain that he does, indeed, make some of the best flutes out there. He's usually the first flute maker I send my students to when they're looking to buy a good wooden flute that they'll be able to use for the rest of their lives. I love his work.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Ok, I just got off the phone with Dave. In about three weeks, he is sending me a flute that will allow me to offset or move holes. Interesting concept. Play and make sure it is comfortable and plays the same.

Reallly a customization. And, not even for a new flute to be made.

Again, that is customer service in my book. I hope to report on how this works and let you know if interested.

Denny

Post by Denny »

so many joints

so little time
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Dave's the shizz. He also looks startlingly good in a fright wig.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

skyspirit wrote:a flute that will allow me to offset or move holes.
Think that's a development of mine, which has two alternative mini-joints for L3 (my 'pinkie' hole!), but adding similar options for R3. On which note I'm just about to specify a fixed L3 offset for an Eb body and then we'll be talking nine-fingered keys! :)

Master of nine?
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Peter Duggan wrote:
skyspirit wrote:a flute that will allow me to offset or move holes.
Think that's a development of mine, which has two alternative mini-joints for L3 (my 'pinkie' hole!), but adding similar options for R3. On which note I'm just about to specify a fixed L3 offset for an Eb body and then we'll be talking nine-fingered keys! :)

I think that you are correct. It sure sounds that way given the way Dave described in email. I think that it is a great idea personally.

So, thanks to you.

I think that is the reason that it will be in 3 weeks or so. He is probably fixing your stuff. So, mum is the word. :lol:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

skyspirit wrote:I think that you are correct. It sure sounds that way given the way Dave described in email. I think that it is a great idea personally.

So, thanks to you.
It was Dave who suggested the rotatable L3, so I asked him if he could do it in both standard and tighter hole spacings. And I'm currently playing the tighter one (almost identical to the standard Eb spacing) with an offset of about 9mm, which (odd though it looks!) fits like a glove...

Hoping to grab some video footage sometime to show this strange but sweet geometry in action, but reluctant to commit to that too soon when I've only had about ten days to work at the sound since getting it just before Christmas and heading almost straight for a fortnight in Kenya without it!

Master of nine?
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Feadoggie wrote:Skyspirit, beware of the method to the man's willingness to please! I'm guessing this won't be your last interaction with Dave. :)

Feadoggie
Oh, I think so my friend. I sent mine for him to move l3 and r3 closer in new sections for shipping costs. And, he is turning that around and getting mine back in the mail in less than 2 weeks. So, he is the best. Great to work with.

Yep! I will in the future.

Hope you are well.