Davy Spillane

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Davey Spillane half set Concert D for £3000 UK STERLING... just got an email. Is that different than Pounds? Expensive. Brendan what do you think? I'm sort of leaning toward a half set by Davy Stephenson. Any good suggestions?
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

On 2002-08-21 12:30, Lorenzo wrote:
STEAMPACKET...I agree, "The Pipers Rock," albeit an old 33rpm record, was one of my favorites, "Rakish Paddy" was rock'n...the way Davey strayed and bent the notes...been try'n to play it like that ever since. I wish more CD's of the old stuff was being made to replace the 33's so I wouldn't have to load it onto the computer and burn my own all the time.
I was able to get a CD version of "The Piper's Rock" in Cork City at the Living Tradition back in February. You might try shopping the Na Piobairi Uilleann online catalog, they probably still have it.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

3000 Squids! That's a lot of money for a half set from a maker no one really knows anything about. I saw a practice set him him years ago, narrow bore d. Nice enough sounding. I'm sure it'd be a nice set but I think he is charging so much because he isn't really that interested in making pipes for customers and therefore wants to turn them off with his *high* prices.

Patrick.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

DS and Kevin Glackin music samples online...
http://www.musicprom.com/e_spillane.html
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Lorenzo,

Ossian USA also has "Piper's Rock" on CD.
john

Post by john »

Ronan Browne was the piper on the original Riverdance recording (the single)

i wonder if it's possible to tell his playing of the same material from davy spillane's recording later on
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Hi there,

Davy plays Concert "D" 100 pipes what can you say about the "guy" he's my heroe and he's one hell of a piper! I've got all his album's,

you must listen to the track "Port na bPuccai" off the album Forgotten Days with Kevin Glackin, It's Davy at his best and he's "Working".

"Brilliant control of the Chanter, you won't hear any better than this.

" STEW " 8)
glands

Post by glands »

I disagree. That is a hoorid rendition of the tune. It pales in comparison to version by Ronan Browne on Drones and the Chanters vol 2. :o
anima

Post by anima »

I agree with Stew, I like spillanes version of Port nabPucai the best.
j.hohl.kennedy

Port na bPúcaí

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

glands wrote:I disagree. That is a hoorid rendition of the tune. It pales in comparison to version by Ronan Browne on Drones and the Chanters vol 2. :o
I suppose it's personal preference, but I do highly enjoy both versions of that air.
thering

Post by thering »

I picked up the Pipers Rock in Celtic Note (Dublin) this January - and I have to say that I have never had a CD like this that I could listen to over and over again without getting anxious for something else... Of course they were out of the D&C vol.II. The Spillane / Glackin CD is enjoyable for me, but one of those that I would program my old CD player to drop certain tracks (low whistle, mostly). Funny how one's enjoyment of an artist changes based on last perception... Didn't consider buying Spillane much, at first, based on Riverdance. Bought Forgotten Days on a whim, liked it enough to grab up Pipers Rock when I saw it. Now if he was putting out more of the same I'd be right there in line. If.

Just a mostly listening perspective, I'm nowhere yet as a piper.

Trent
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Spillane CD on Amazon.

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Dear GLANDS,

I also like Ronan Browne version, its played on a narrow Bore D chanter which sounds sweeter than Concert, excellent playing on them Johnny Burke regulators, and "them" Drones just sing,

But "Concert" has that bigger sound and I like the "INTRO" then in with Drones and Regs "MAGIC" its just two different versions by two PRO'S.

But I still prefer Davy's version,I have to he's my "Heroe" 8)
piperben

pipers rock

Post by piperben »

Tis out on CD. has been for a while on the Mulligan lable i think. :)
piperben

spillane

Post by piperben »

Tis out on CD. has been for a while on the Mulligan lable i think. :)