Geek Question: iTunes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Geek Question: iTunes

Post by mutepointe »

If I buy music on iTunes, can I download the songs to my home computer and then copy the songs to my MP3 player? How many times can I copy a song? Can I only transfer a song so that it's either on my computer or MP3 player but not both at the same time?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Elvellon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Geek Question: iTunes

Post by Elvellon »

There are now no DRMs (nasty restrictions) on iTunes Store songs. Labels (the nasty guys) got variable pricing for that.
Just make sure your PCs or players understand the AAC format (*.m4a).
My real name's Roman
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Thank you. Regarding the format thing, will the songs plays on my Windows Media Player?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Wow, DRM's - nasty restrictions and Labels - nasty guys!
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. Sure, there are nasty labels but they're usually the big guys. The vast majority of labels are tiny concerns, usually just dealing with proprietors band! These labels got no say in the removal of DRM. That was the big guys - maybe nasty guys as you call them, Elvellon. In the world of traditional music and traditional related bands the removal of DRM has been a disaster, leaving more are more people are just stealing music.

It works great for the big companies as the (illegal) downloads mean that the singles/songs of bands that are going to sell spread almost like a virus and when the album release comes the pop idol type hysteria has all the youngsters out buying it. Almost everything else gets stolen which strangles smaller genres like folk, jazz, classical etc. Anything bigger than solo or small line up releases really, really struggle to keep releasing music without funding.

So the answer is yes, you can copy digital music now with no restrictions but if you do it's the "nasty guys" you're supporting and not the folk who are in it primarily to make music rather than money. Making and releasing albums is not cheap.
Elvellon

Post by Elvellon »

http://www.codecs.com/download/AAC_aacP ... Plugin.htm - a plugin that seems to do the job.

Sorry for, er, labeling all labels :) as nasty.
My real name's Roman
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I may be wrong about this, Mute - there are people here who know an awful lot more about this stuff than I do, but once you have the music on iTunes, you can play it on your computer and re-record it using Audacity, and convert its format.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Elvellon

Post by Elvellon »

Playing AAC is rather simple, there's an architecture for 'filters' (like splitters, decoders) called DirectShow and Windows Media Player can use any of them. The plugin I linked to just seems to be a ready solution.
If you want to convert audio files, there's no need to fun them through Audacity and the like, just, for example, foobar2000. And you're losing quality in the process.
My real name's Roman
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mutepointe wrote:If I buy music on iTunes, can I download the songs to my home computer and then copy the songs to my MP3 player? How many times can I copy a song? Can I only transfer a song so that it's either on my computer or MP3 player but not both at the same time?
I think you're thinking of iTunes incorrectly. iTunes is
just a piece of software. You can run iTunes on your PC.
When you buy music using iTunes, the files will automatically
be downloaded to your computer. You can then transfer the
file to your mp3 player. If your player can't play the file type
iTunes will convert it to an MP3 for you.