Low C Foot-Joint for the Uilleann Chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Low C Foot-Joint for the Uilleann Chanter

Post by MTGuru »

CHasR wrote:damm this is like, way better n anything on tv right now :lol:
Yes, and I missed the Rose Parade for this. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I happened to peek at this clever hardware being test driven at the recent NE tionol. Intriguing.

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

gillis wrote:I find quoting to be the easiest way to clear up misunderstandings. That's my style, and I believe what quotes are for. If there is a policy on quoting that I'm contravening, please let me know.
The Moderators will restrict you (or anyone) from over-quoting or being overly argumentative if we decide it's a problem. It's our judgment call.

Thanks for the information on your background. That's helpful.

You should check the difference between passing tones and neighbor tones. They're not the same. By definition, the C cannot be a passing tone on the (extended) pipes, because there's no B (or lower) to pass to or from. And to restate the obvious, an instrument with a lowest note of C cannot handle, as-is, phrases consisting of notes below C.

I'll let my other points stand, because I think they're clear enough to begin with. :wink:

As Tommy's post suggests, some hands-on evaluation in the hands of pipers seems like a good next step.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

As Tommy's post suggests, some hands-on evaluation in the hands of pipers seems like a good next step.
That would probably be a more likely way to get answers to the questions asked.

As Tommy said, intriguing, but It baffles me why Duncan won't address any of the questions in more depth than he does.

That's me done so.
My brain hurts

Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

MTGuru wrote:Inventions and innovations are often re-invented multiple times, so that's not news. Wikipedia's count for the incandescent light bulb is 24 times.

By all means, let's have all the information out there, and give it all a fair hearing. If the previous invention is a success, I haven't seen it (yet) at tionóls, etc. Maybe it needs to be better publicized. If the specific details of gillis' device - springs, magnets, whatever - are an improvement, then great. If either device works or neither device works, the market and community of pipers will decide. And we can let the patent attorneys fight about prior art.
Quite true. Often it isn't the inventor of a prototype that gets credit for the final product but a person who finds a way to make it work smoothly and reliably and widely available to users at a reasonable price. (And Gillis, I'm not saying that you didn't invent this gizmo.) There are lots of examples but the automobile and airplane come immediately to mind.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Well at least we now know Headley's hidden agenda ,when he was posting his seemly pointless inquiry back in june- september.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

It started like this....

and turned thus.....

Ball park price then???
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
gillis

Post by gillis »

OK, let's try this. MTGuru, thanks for explaining the difference between passing tones and neighbour tones. My main point still stands - these notes, when they are played, are played for a reason, therefore they are important in that playing. Whether to include them or not depends on personal preference, as well as whether you have and are used to having the option of playing those particular notes.

Some pipers have already done their own hands on evaluation. That step has already begun and will be an ongoing process I'm sure.
Mr.Gumby wrote: As Tommy said, intriguing, but It baffles me why Duncan won't address any of the questions in more depth than he does.
I'm pretty sure I've addressed any questions that have come up. If I've missed any or you want more detail, don't be baffled, ask away. That's why I started this thread.

Uilliam, I just don't know right now. I'm not holding out - I just don't know. And the way this thread has gone you might understand my hesitation to even speculate - it would likely become one more point of derision.
Last edited by gillis on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gillis

Post by gillis »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:Quite true. Often it isn't the inventor of a prototype that gets credit for the final product but a person who finds a way to make it work smoothly and reliably and widely available to users at a reasonable price. (And Gillis, I'm not saying that you didn't invent this gizmo.) There are lots of examples but the automobile and airplane come immediately to mind.
A fair point Ceann. Just to be clear, I've never seen, or til now heard of, Mr.Bayley's device and based on the descriptions so far, I'm not sure that it is very similar to this one. I would need more detail to know for sure.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Chris you need to post something more detailed or market your chanter extension before Mr Gillis or is it Mr Headley of ferrule size fame (thanks for that RoryBellows as we had all missed that point :o) slaps a patent on it to stop you using yours as they seem in principle to do the same job i.e. give you a D and a leading note C below
MTGuru wrote
No need to get nasty, Elmek. You've made your point, such as it is. The OP asked if it had been done before, and you've answered the question.
Well it was the way he quieried what I wrote. Did not intend to offend so sorry for that and have smacked myself on the wrist for it :D

I would note that if Mr Gillis is indeed also Mr Headley then the same antagonism was present when people quieried why he needed the size of peoples bottom ferrules (Chanter that is :love: ) both here and the UP Discussion Forum.

John
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Just about to hit the 'submit button' and there is Mr Gumby's post gone :( .
Rorybellows wrote:
Well at least we now know Headley's hidden agenda ,when he was posting his seemly pointless inquiry back in june- september.
Had he been more open with a request such as "I am developing a new type of pop valve and hope to make it a universal retro fit for as many makes of pipe as possible. Would it be possible for forum members to help me with this by letting me know the length and diameter of the bottom ferrule on their chanters"
Gillis wrote:
the way this thread has gone you might understand my hesitation to even speculate - it would likely become one more point of derision.
In your own mind maybe as all that has happened is Mr Gumby and Mr Bayley have made you aware of a possible regulator playing issue and others have asked for price and availability. That a footjoint has already been made that also allows the chanter to be stopped by a well established maker seems to surprise. An obvious line of research you seem to have missed was to ask those who already make pastoral pipes how the foot joint and its removal works

Mr Gumby's missing post referred to a book suggested on a thread on the other UP forum concerning a certain 'Headly' would seem to be applicable

John
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Locked for evaluation, and to investigate multiple accounts. Thanks, all.