Holiday Acquisitions!!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Holiday Acquisitions!!!

Post by jemtheflute »

redmanca wrote:My wife bought me Calum Stewart & Heikki Bourgault's CD. An amazing album. It's been on since it got here. Thanks to Calum and Heikki.

Conor
A very sound acquisition! I've had my copy months now, and still play it regularly in the car. Had it on today!

As for my Xmas and b'day music-related acquisitions, I had a new No.7 Opinel knife for my flute fettling kit, Phyllis Kinney's new tome Welsh Traditional Music, an old CD of Lisa Beznosiuk's which I didn't know previously, Concord of Sweet Sounds, (Baroque & Classical music for flute & guitar/lute), Donncha O'Briain's CD Irish Traditional Music on Tin Whistle and Jed Wentz's set of the complete flute sonatas of Michel Blavet. (Haven't listened to any of 'em yet.) And I suppose in a way my "new" Bb foot R&R #2130 was kinda my self-presie..... I haven't indulged myself in anything else, at any rate!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
redmanca

Post by redmanca »

jemtheflute wrote:
redmanca wrote:My wife bought me Calum Stewart & Heikki Bourgault's CD. An amazing album. It's been on since it got here. Thanks to Calum and Heikki.

Conor
A very sound acquisition! I've had my copy months now, and still play it regularly in the car. Had it on today!

Yes, quite inspiring. Ever since seeing this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFx4eqBL ... re=related I've been saving up tips for an antique 8 key. Slow going but I think it'll be worth it in the end.

Conor
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Not a flute but some lovely person is ordering me a set of sackpipa from Seth Hamon for Christmas

If your looking for some interesting Swedish tunes check out olle gallmo,s sackpipa site

Loads of nice stuff and a good work out for the g sharp key

http://olle.gallmo.se/sackpipa/beginner ... hp?lang=en

I've been learning all these tunes on flute in prep for the arrival of the sackpipa
JSCWhistler
Tell us something.: Whistle/flute and guitar player from Dallas, now living in a van down by the river with my wife and two cats.

Former member of Texas bands Flashpoint, and The Here & Now.

Post by JSCWhistler »

I bought some mini instrument necklaces for fellow bandmates, and also had one made for myself of my Miller G# flute, from a lady in Spain, named Anna. Really cool stuff she does!

Pics:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 826&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 826&type=3
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Anna is a good friend of mine, a swedish girl living here in Seville for 10 years or so.she use to come to all the sessions .Great singer as well.
S.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Those necklaces are cool.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Flute/Laptop/Camera Messenger Bag

Post by Blayne Chastain »

No flutes but a bag that will hold one or two!

http://blaynechastain.com/blog/papas-go ... nd-new-bag

The bottom compact tripod compartment JUST fits the Northwind case that Pat Olwell sells.
crickett

Post by crickett »

A few nice CDs and a lovely 18 inch frame drum (tar). The CDs are:
Barzaz, Ec'honder (featuring J-M Veillon);
Harry Bradley and Michael Clarkson, The Pleasures of Hope (kicks serious butt);
Tamalin, Rhythm and Rhyme (featuring the McSherry sibs in a band that reminds me a little of The Drovers).

By the way, does anyone know if Tina McSherry is still playing flute and/or singing? She sounds great on the Tamalin CD.
JS

Post by JS »

Not a Christmas present, but I didn't have the chance earlier in the fall to post a picture of Dave Copley's retrofit of four keys and a slide to my Copley & Boegley keyless:

297452_2573341178468_1402467546_33001340_1832361797_n by coleraine12065, on Flickr

Couldn't be more pleased with it.

Under the tree, a copy of Sean Doyle's "Light and the Half Light." Lovely recording of songs and a bit of Yeats:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Half-Sean-D ... B0002IQCBQ
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Grinter, eight keys, very happy with it ! :)
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

A quena from Peru, very nice. :party:

A Nepali bamboo flute, very simple and inexpensive but lovely to look at. As I am still at the stage where I am astounded to get any notes (instead of merely air) it is keeping me busy, along with a homemade low D. :D
Last edited by gregwhistle on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Ronnie wrote:Grinter, eight keys, very happy with it ! :)
I think you win the prize for most Irish flute hardware present. Lucky.
Elfforce1

Post by Elfforce1 »

This happened at an amusement park during a college week or so long trip. The park was kind of small and all the good stuff either had long lines or you had to pay additional for, either of which I didn’t feel much like doing. About a month or so before the trip I received my pvc piccolo made by Jem. So I decided to spend my time at the park practicing. Now I consider myself a beginner by some of the stuff I’ve heard from you guys, but I was playing from a hymnal and if you ever looked in one, you’ll know that hymns are pretty simple tunes. So during that evening I found a bench and sat down by myself and started playing Christmas hymns out of the hymnal on my lap. I figured the people passing by weren't staying long enough to get annoyed. As I’m playing a photographer who works at the park, took my picture and approached me. Great I thought here comes the sales pitch for the overpriced picture. As I begin to explain I’m not interested in buying, he tells me it’s free and prints it off and gives it me. As he walked away after I thanked him, he tells me he gave it to me for free as he is a musician too. Part of the picture is shown as my avatar, I don’t want to show the whole thing as it might get the photographer into trouble if someone from the park finds out. The picture is my favorite Christmas gift this year. You really never know who is listening. :thumbsup:
Jonathan Zabel, email: zabel.jonathan@gmail.com
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

This was a big Christmas surprise: A friend gave me a a family heirloom--a lovely 8-key by Christman (dates to the 1840's or so). Thanks to Jon C. for the restoration and photo.

Denny

Post by Denny »

nice!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.