Real Irish antique flute on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Real Irish antique flute on ebay

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Real Irish antique flute on ebay

Post by kkrell »

If we go by the New Langwill, the address would probably be 148 Capel St. (which resembles what the eBay seller has interpreted), Dublin from 1834-1840. John McNeill, Exhibited a flute in 1841. Looks like he apprenticed under Isaac Dollard (Military Bugle Maker, flutes) and was succeeded as apprentice under Dollard by Butler.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Jon - could you buy this, restore it, and sell it to me for $300 please?

:wink:

Pat

P.S. If it weren't for the offset crack through the embouchure, I'd go for it!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Jon - could you buy this, restore it, and sell it to me for $300 please?
It will likely go on ebay for a little more than $300.

plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

@Lorenzo - that was the reason for the :wink: - it was a joke (except for the humor part, I guess)

Pat
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I know I know :wink:

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have just spoken to Steve Chambers who is the proprietor of J. McNeill's music shop, presently in Miltown Malbay. He said he had owned one of these in the past and also that when he first bought the premises on Capel st there was a stack of tools and offcuts from tenons etc still present in the building.
My brain hurts

Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Looks like a fun restoration! It would be a long weekend...
I wonder if it is moldy?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have just spoken to Steve Chambers who is the proprietor of J. McNeill's music shop, presently in Miltown Malbay. He said he had owned one of these in the past and also that when he first bought the premises on Capel st there was a stack of tools and offcuts from tenons etc still present in the building.

McNeill's in Dublin on Capel st re-opened a few years ago; I assume it is not owned by the same person anymore. I was in the shop a couple of months ago and they had one of these McNeill flutes behind the counter and told me it was made there. They even let me try it out but it wasn't for sale. Not a bad flute either although it did suffer the tuning anomalies of 19th cent. instruments. I wonder if that was the same flute Steve Chambers used to own.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

I was in McNeil's last March! Wish I'd noticed the flute... I played with a banjo guy and a guitar guy (can't remember names).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

McNeill's in Dublin on Capel st re-opened a few years ago
I know, Steve however continued to trade under the McNeill name when he left the Dublin business and moved to Clare.
My brain hurts

Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I have just spoken to Steve Chambers who is the proprietor of J. McNeill's music shop, presently in Miltown Malbay. He said he had owned one of these in the past and also that when he first bought the premises on Capel st there was a stack of tools and offcuts from tenons etc still present in the building.
Damn, I must have gone past that shop 100 times when I lived in Dublin for a few months in 1974!

Terry
Grizzle

Post by Grizzle »

I played the McNeils flute today at the shop on Capel street. One thing that got my attention was the makers mark - a unicorn head. I was suprised to see it.

The flute here on ebay does not appear to have such a mark.
'Is deartháir don pháidir an port' - 'The tune is a brother to the prayer'
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Grizzle wrote:I played the McNeils flute today at the shop on Capel street. One thing that got my attention was the makers mark - a unicorn head. I was suprised to see it.

The flute here on ebay does not appear to have such a mark.
I am sure the Unicorn head was a flute makers guild mark, but I have never read anything of the matter. If you were a guild member, it would give you access to more resources. So to get in the British market it probably would have been helpful. Terry might have some history of this unicorn cabal...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon