Thoughts on WHOAD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cunparis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Thoughts on WHOAD

Post by cunparis »

maki wrote:Could be for some, but not me- I can quit antime I want to.
Addicts always say they can quit if they want to. :devil:
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

cunparis wrote:
So do non-addicts........
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

DrPhill wrote:
cunparis wrote:
Yes, and in the latter case, it's true :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Addicts always say they can quit if they want to. :devil:[/quote]

So do non-addicts........[/quote]
Yes, and in the latter case, it's true :)[/quote]

Is it true, or are all of you in denial?
maki

Post by maki »

DrPhill wrote:
cunparis wrote: Addicts always say they can quit if they want to. :devil:

Is it true, or are all of you in denial?
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

maki wrote:Addicts always say they can quit if they want to. :devil:
So do non-addicts........[/quote]

Is it true, or are all of you in denial?[/quote]

Isn't that part of the addiction, to be in denial about it? :)
A.t.m. I would like a Burke 'A', but it's not even on page one on my priority list, partly because i don't *need* it, and partly because i think it's a tad too expensive. I guess if i were addicted, i'd go ahead and buy it, damn the torpedos? :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I say what is the harm in collecting a few whistles. If it makes you happy, it's probably worth it.

I just read that the average individual has 60,000 thoughts per day and 70% of them are negative. Well ... if you can get that down to 65% by admiring a few whistles, it's probably worth it.

Now for the justification: Most of these high end whistles are made by an individual who at some point will stop making them. Suddenly there will be a finite number of them and the value may go up significantly. That's when you can sell your collection for more, and peopole will know that it's probably worth it.
Poppi

Post by Poppi »

Just chiming in on this thread. My WHOAD is not nearly as severe as some of you, but I have found a temporary cure. I've been playing my D whistles better, so I am not itching to buy another one just yet. I attribute this improvement to practice and to my Thornton whistle. The three whistles I play regularly are the Dixon Trad, the Mellow Dog and the Thornton. I love them all, but the Thornton is really nice and warm sounding with more back pressure and focus (?) than the others. I had not played the Thornton in a few weeks, but I just played it for about 20 minutes and said "this is a really good whistle".

I'm not an experienced player, but the Thornton has a tone and responsiveness that I find very enjoyable. I like my other whistles, too, and I believe that the Thornton has helped me play the others better because it is not as forgiving (if that makes any sense).

If you haven't tried a Thornton, you should. In the meantime, I need to learn more tunes. I'll be sticking with these three whistles and playing the Thornton more.

Poppi
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

I have skimmed through this discussion and it seems there are two basic questions: 1. Is WHOA a bad thing? and 2. Are there advantages in higher end whistles for beginners?
I personally think collecting whistles is great. I collect lots of things I don't need. I just like to collect and always have. I have about a dozen whistles, several guitars, several banjos,mandolins, xylophone, drums, a drawer full of harmonicas. ( I got rid of my fiddle) The odd thing is I am no musician. I wouldn't dare play in front of anyone except my wife, who always kindly tells me I play well. ( I am absolutely awful) But I enjoy the instruments I collect regardless of how poorly I play. Some of my guitars and banjos are high end and quite expensive. I admire their beauty and quality.
Now to the second point. I personally think a high end whistle in somewhat easier to play than a cheaper one for a beginner. Most of my whistles are cheap ones but I have a Busman blackwood in D and an aluminum Burke in D. These two whistles are easier for me to play.
But one of the things I really like about the whistle community is that players play both cheap whistles and expensive ones. Many of the people I know who play stringed instruments reject inexpensive instruments as soon as they can afford high end. :thumbsup:
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
maki

Post by maki »

One of the best things about WHOAD is that you can collect whistles on a low budget!
Feadogs
Generations
Oaks/Acrorns
Sodhams
Clarkes/Sweetones
Waltons

And a small step up and you can collect moderate budget whistles;
Freemans
Dixons
Susatos
Gonzatos

You can actually have quite a collection without spending the price of a single high end whistle.
Celticexile

Post by Celticexile »

[quote="Greg Connor"]I say what is the harm in collecting a few whistles. If it makes you happy, it's probably worth it.

Seconded.

Like most addicts, the reality of my addiction had to be pointed out to me – in this case when my wife’s search for a suitable Christmas present prompted her to do a whistle count. The evidence precluded any “not guilty” plea to WHOAD accusations, yet I strongly denied that I suffered from it; enjoyed it, revelled in it, maybe, but definitely no signs of suffering!

The Internet has provided the main sources of help and inspiration, isolated as I am here in Bosnia, and in particular Chiff and Fipple. Over a year of (active) lurking, I have learned a great deal from the collective wisdom so freely shared on this site - not only from the experienced gurus, but also from the challenges encountered by those less far ahead of me in the journey. Heartfelt thanks to you all.

I have enjoyed, from the sidelines, debates over terms such as “chiff”, “backpressure”, “responsiveness” etc. and descriptive comparison between the tones and playing characteristics of different whistles. Despite numerous erudite and descriptive explanations, however, my understanding only really blossomed when I had the opportunity to experience and really feel these variations for myself via my personal WHOAD harvest.

And there, dear Wife, I rest the case for the defence.
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Well, I go through bouts of it. On the other hand, since I can't wisely have all of the whistles I want, I have decided to begin making my own out of pvc. It's productive, not very expensive (unless you don't have squat for tools and have to run for them, like me.) Now that I pretty much have all of the tools I need, the actual whistle materials are not very expensive... and you get to make an instrument come to life. Pretty rewarding imo. This way I can experiment with different keys and whatnot.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

My first whistle was a $10 Acorn. It's my best and favorite whistle. I have been able try other people's fancy whistles and I never like them as much as mine. I bought another whistle when I thought I lost it. Not as good but similar. No brand name. I guess I do not understand WHOAD. I think practice and just playing and enjoying is what matters. It's good to have a few extra keys, though. I have a bunch of Generations and was able to play along with Christmas carols at a party sing-along. What fun!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

DrPhill wrote:
cunparis wrote:
What I found searching was everybody talking about WhOAD, thoughts on, suffering about it, diseased, addicted, quitting, etc.,... however, I didn't find a "clear" and "distinct" definition of WhOAD
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

From another thread.
Feadoggie wrote:
ytliek wrote:Ok, you can start laughing... I did a whole lot of research reading on this forum prior to joining (apparently not enough) and saw "WhOAD" the acronym, but, its meaning slips me in all the ABC excitment. What I found was everybody talking about WhOAD, thoughts on, suffering about it, diseased, addicted, etc.,... however, I didn't find a "clear" and "distinct" definition of WhOAD
Hey, it's in the Book! Or it will be.... Just have a look here: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whoa.html
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.