OT I'm mad as hell!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dakotamouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dakotamouse »

Twice in two day's I've been on Ebay and when I've done a search for whistles, or whatever, a pop up ad has come up AND installed a program called weather watch or scan or something to my computer. Nothing I want. Nothing I downloaded it just pops up on it's own and installs itself. I've gone and removed it twice now. I'm trying to find out where on the Ebay site you log in complaints but I'm not finding anything.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Mary,

the really really foaming at the mouth p#$$ed off mouse!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I haven't seen it, but download adaware or some other similar program to remove all that garbage from your computer. I think you can set your browser to not accept that junk in the security settings as well
serpent

Post by serpent »

Set your security and privacy both to medium on Internet Explorer 5.0 and above.

Tools/Internet Options/Security
Tools/Internet Options/Privacy

It will stop almost all that crap. I recommend downloading the most recent version of IE from Microsoft

Tools/Windows Update -- and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. It's free, and you wind up with a much better browser.

Good luck!
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
tinker

Post by tinker »

Yeah, in IE, go to tools -> internet options -> security tab. Select internet, then click custom level. I have stuff set as follows:

Download Signed ActiveX controls: Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls: disable Initialize... ActiveX controls: Disable
Run ActiveX controls: Enable

If you set that last one to 'prompt', you should get a prompt before that junk loads, and you'll be able to disable the problematic plugins. I tried browsing around ebay to find exactly what the prblem was, but I didnt hit it, so I can't really give you much better details than that though.

Hope it helps.

- tinker tinderbox
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Thanks, tinderbox. I've tried changing my settings and I hope this does it. It just burns me. The nerve of these people.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Here, DMouse- http://www.komando.com/bestshareware.asp You can download Adaware from this site plus some other cool stuff to help. It will scour your drive for those ad-spy thingies that might be lurking there. Good luck!

-Paul
Turner

Post by Turner »

All of the above is good info, spyware is lurking in every corner of the interenet, and a real pain. There are some good security packages avaliable from Norton and such forth.

Download or even call Microsoft for a copy of IE6 with SP1, If you live around Europe I could get one sent to you as I work for MS Europe.

Dale Turner
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I recently had some weather program auto download onto my PC as well.
Here is what REALLY burned me up. When I tried to uninstall it a web page opened that asked my why I wanted to uninstall it!!!!!

I was furious. I entered some scathing stuff in the comments. I doubt they will care.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

:o Holy cow... chicken, pig, sheep....!!! :o

Earlier today I read this thread and left it thinkng how lucky I have been to not have had any obvious glaring problems with things automatically installing themselves on my computer. Then I went to search for some information on guitars.... oh man! I ended up with some awful thing that not only reset my homepage all by itself, but it installed some terrible thing in my browser and added a ton of stupid folders full of their links to my bookmarked favorites listing! Sheesh! Stuff like that should be illegal!!! :evil: So I downloaded the adware thing and set to cleaning house. If that wasen't SHOCKING!!! A ton of stuff... and happily it is all gone, for now. Thanks for the heads up on this problem and for pointing out ways to fight this ugly garbage!

:)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I think it is illegal, but they don't care.
Mangus Coloradas

Post by Mangus Coloradas »

If I could get my hands on the people who create those pop up ads I'd print them all and make the idiots eat the dang things. Page by page by page. Actually I wouldn't, it would kill too many trees, but thinking about doing that makes :) everytime I delete one.
Mangus Coloradas
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Yes, pop up ads are the devil!!
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lets find out who they are and then play high F whistles in their windows at night.
Martin Milner

Pop ups

Post by Martin Milner »

The company I work for (fighting the system from within) are partly responsible for internet ads and pop ups. We had a 1/2 hour presentation yesterday from one of the perps. I told him what a pain-in-the-@r$€ I thought pop ups were, and he said they promote brand awareness, and while we (the company) NEVER recommend their use, they (the advertisers) love them because they are extremely cheap to do.

I find most forms of advertising intrusive, be it junk mail, junk e-mail, TV ads or trailers for films on a video I have bought.

Come the revolution....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

geek4music wrote:I recently had some weather program auto download onto my PC as well.
Here is what REALLY burned me up. When I tried to uninstall it a web page opened that asked my why I wanted to uninstall it!!!!!

I was furious. I entered some scathing stuff in the comments. I doubt they will care.
The second time it happened I filled out their form. And I let a few obscenitites fly. They had it coming. Who invited them to my computer? Certainly not me! :evil:
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)