Lunasa

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
OdinDane

Lunasa

Post by OdinDane »

I saw Lunasa last week in Raleigh, NC. These guys simply blew me away.
They played about 1 hour and 45 minutes but it felt like 20 minutes. I walked up to Kevin Crawford after the show to thank him and I was still shaking (that's how intense the music was). I'm still thinking about the concert constantly a week later. Compared to all the live concerts I've seen from Rock, Jazz, Bluegrass, Blues, Cajun etc., Lunasa was one of the best live performances I have ever seen. The emotional effect was tremendous.
Tradman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

Man, I completely agree with you. It was Friday night Feb 28 in Tarpon Springs that I saw the guys and it was made even better by the fact that I got to spend a little time with Kevin Crawford afterward, and he made the concert even better. Such a great and awesome band on CD, even better in person. Im still thinking about it, and it encourages me and my sister Tradgirl so much! I drove 4 hours to see them. Im now planning on seeing them again in Asheville, NC at the end of this month, which is an 8 hour drive. It is worth it.

erict

Tradman
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Just got home from the Lunasa concert in Somerville Mass - Mighty stuff all around. Kevin Crawford brings such exurberance to each and every performance. What an exceptionally talented fluteplayer and great guy to boot.

Quite the little bodhran player too.
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

True True- can't say enough good things about these guys. Their show is great, their music is without equal and they are incredibly personable and humble people to boot. If anyone has the opportunity- GO SEE LUNASA!
-R-
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

I was thinking of how the Chieftains were the band to see at one time. They were, in a sense, the ambassadors of Irish music. There have been some great bands since - but this group reminds me of a more contemporary or modern version ( i.e. flute, pipes, and fiddle) - only with outrageous rhythm and drive thanks to Trevor and Donagh who absolutely kick ass on (upright) bass and guitar.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Lunasa rules!

Post by spittle »

Have to agree with all the above comments. Caught Lunasa a few weeks ago in Seattle. Of all the concerts I've seen (from Rock to Classical) it was among the very best!

My first live trad musical experience to boot - now I'm afraid nothing else will ever compare :). Nice guys too - visited w/them a bit after the show. Can't wait till they come back!

Regards,
- Ryan
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Lunasa rules!

Post by energy »

spittle wrote:My first live trad musical experience to boot - now I'm afraid nothing else will ever compare :). Nice guys too - visited w/them a bit after the show. Can't wait till they come back!
Don't worry, Ryan, there are some acts out there that I think are as good or better. The trick is finding them. :D
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Hey - I'm eagerly looking forward to it energy, hard as that is to believe! :)

Actually checking out a supposedly very good flautist Hans Araki this weekend. http://www.hanzaraki.com tells more about him and his current band's project. He's going to be having a flute clinic in about month up here - just hope my Olwell Bamboo flute is ready by then!

Can't wait to see him - heard lots of good stuff about him.

Regards,
- Ryan
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Actually checking out a supposedly very good flautist Hans Araki this weekend. http://www.hanzaraki.com tells more about him and his current band's project. He's going to be having a flute clinic in about month up here - just hope my Olwell Bamboo flute is ready by then!

Can't wait to see him - heard lots of good stuff about him.
Not sure what's in the sound clips on that page. Hanz also had a solo track on the Wooden Flute Obsession CD, and there's a short clip of that at http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO_CD2.htm

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Aodhan »

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/lunasa/ ... lers-1.stm

That's a link to the Lunasa store, they have a book that has most of the songs from all their albums up to current. There are a few songs missing, mostly the original compositions (Such as January Snows, song #4 on Otherworld), which was a little disappointing, but for around $19 US, it's still a pretty good deal. (I got one! :D)

Aodhan