Chinese food...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Chinese food...

Post by I.D.10-t »

Okay some one please educate me on this one. What do people in china eat? By province and by taste what is a normal meal. General Tso's chicken doesn't count.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Chinese food...

Post by mutepointe »

I'm no authority but I do watch a lot of the Food Network. They seem to be saying that the Chinese are eating a lot of what is in season and grown locally. Meat is becoming more of their diet than in the past. Seeing as how China is huge, that's about anything. That's like saying what would be standard fare at a weekday meal in the USA. Depending on where you're at, that's about anything.

My buddy Andrew Zimmern eats a lot of strange animal and the other animal parts when he's in China. I saw a show on how fish sauce was made. It made me wonder how fish sauce came to be invented.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Okay some one please educate me on this one. What do people in china eat? By province and by taste what is a normal meal. General Tso's chicken doesn't count.
Whoa. That's like asking what do European people eat. How much ground do you want to cover? The Faeroes to Crete, Ireland to Russia...there's not that much in common, traditionally speaking. Resources and climate determine nearly everything.
mutepointe wrote:I saw a show on how fish sauce was made. It made me wonder how fish sauce came to be invented.
I usually tell myself the answer has to be "accident".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

We took a 9 day tour of China several years ago, visiting Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou (spelling?). The food was definitely vegetable heavy, but fish, fowl and meat were represented. Interestingly, the food was not as highly seasoned as what we get in the US.
BTW-- according to our bus driver if you want Peking Duck, be sure to ask for Peking ROAST Duck. Without the "roast", Peking Duck is apparently slang for a male prostitute...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dwest

Post by dwest »

I remember a dim-summation about the high amount of fat in American Chinese food from some years ago.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Lot of nasty stuff.
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by weedie »

K.F.C. ? ...Subway ? ... McDonalds ? ...Burger King ? .. :-?
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Rice in the south, wheat and millet in the north.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

jim stone wrote:Lot of nasty stuff.
I guess one man's nasty is another man's tasty, but on that trip to China we saw a lot of food markets offering some REALLY "unusual" looking ingredients: live turtles, dried reptiles of one sort or another, etc. OK, nasty.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I guess the thing is that I was thinking of the number of "Chinese restaurants" I have eaten at and it dawned on me that they were probably the equivalent of Tocobell and "Mexican" food. Some of it may be Cantonese cuisine inspired, but much of it is more of a caricature of what we think should be on the menu, such as General Tso's chicken and Chop suey.
maki wrote:Rice in the south, wheat and millet in the north.
That is a good start.

Seems like baking isn't as common and that most things are quickly pan fried, steamed or boiled.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

My sense is that these days the primacy of Chinese cuisine in the U.S. has been eclipsed by Thai, Indian, Pho, and suchlike. So that when I take a quick mental inventory of local (or semi-local) eastern choices I can think of plenty of appealing options, but the "Chinese" places I know of conjure grease, sad overcooked veggies, gristle, and a side of fries with gravy.

I know there is delicious and authentic Chinese to be had though. Still, the extent to which most Americans (self included) can differentiate regionally is Hunan/Szechuan.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

emmline wrote:...but the "Chinese" places I know of conjure grease, sad overcooked veggies, gristle, and a side of fries with gravy.
Perhaps it would be easier to say what it is not...
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

"You can't get a sauce as thick and sweet as you get over here."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqHBexWD1w
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

I.D.10-t wrote:I guess the thing is that I was thinking of the number of "Chinese restaurants" I have eaten at and it dawned on me that they were probably the equivalent of Tocobell and "Mexican" food. Some of it may be Cantonese cuisine inspired, but much of it is more of a caricature of what we think should be on the menu,
Go out for a Chinese meal in Britain and it bares little resemblance to a Chinese meal in France. The same goes for Indian, Thai and other cuisines and they all bare little resemblance to the cuisine of the country of origin. Things get tweaked for local tastes.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Seonachan wrote:"You can't get a sauce as thick and sweet as you get over here."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqHBexWD1w
Our Mongolian barbecue is better here than in Mongolia too.
Hotblack wrote:Things get tweaked for local tastes.
One of the nice things about Minneapolis is that we have enough of a population that often it seems you can find things outside of what would be "local" tastes. We have our Olive Gardens, Chi Chi's and other chain restaurants, but it is not that difficult to find something a bit less generic. Just can't say I've had much luck with Chinese food.