CP: New Flute Tutor by Conal Ó Gráda

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rocky O Grada

CP: New Flute Tutor by Conal Ó Gráda

Post by Rocky O Grada »

Hello Folks
Just to let you know that my new flute book, 'An Fheadóg Mhór....Irish Traditional Flute Technique', is now ready for shipment. An outline of the book content is shown below. It can be purchased from my website http://www.conalograda.com (€39 within Ireland, €41 outside Ireland, inclusive of shipping).
I am heading to Tesserette, Switzerland this morning but will answer any questions when I get back on Sunday.
Beir Bua
Conal

Overview
Based on the premise that ‘If you can’t hear it, you can’t play it’, Conal takes a progressive approach to building the students flute technique (What does it Sound like...How is it Done...Where is it Used), starting with the basics (Holding the flute, Breathing, Cuts etc.) and working up to more advanced techniques (Glottal Stops, Rolls and combining of techniques), supported with both Audio and Notated examples. A unique aspect of the book is the chapter on Critical Listening, where the student is taught how to build their listening skills to recognise how top players achieve the musical impact they do.

Build technique progressively from basic breathing to advanced articulation

Step by Step: What does it sound like...How do you do it...Where do you use it

Comprehensively illustrated with both notation and audio examples (free CD inside)

Learn how to listen critically to top players and improve your own playing

Features playing from: Cathering McEvoy, Harry Bradley, Aoife Granville, John Wynne, Tara Diamond, Mike Rafferty, Patsy Hanly, Eamonn Cotter
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: CP: New Flute Tutor by Conal Ó Gráda

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sounds cool! But what I really want to know ... Is there a chapter that explains where the "Rocky" came from? ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

He's Rocky because he rocks :wink:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I want to know how to do all this after three or four pints.
Last edited by Julia Delaney on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pmcallis »

H-m-m-m-m. If I buy Conal's flute technique book, I wonder whether he guarantees that I will sound just like him :boggle: ?? ...Oh well, I can always dream :cry: ...But better order one now just on the outside chance...
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Conal:

By any chance do you have an electronic (i.e. PDF) version?

P
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Hup

Post by Hup »

I just want to know about that roaring multiphonic D! Every so often
I hit one of those by accident - never happens when I want it to.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Julia Delaney wrote:I want to know how to do all this after three or four pints.
Twenty five years ago Christy Moore wondered how your man stayed up on the surfboard after 14 pints of stout. Now we're down to three or four pints. Are they making the Guinness stronger now, or have we become a nation of lightweights?
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Why, are you a better man if you drink more pints?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Rocky O Grada

Post by Rocky O Grada »

Hello Lads,
Thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully once a few of you have had a chance to see the book you will continue think well of it. First shipments went out today so thanks to everyone who has ordered them.
Pat, I don't intend to do a PDF version of it at the moment although an e-book version might be a possibility sometime in the future if it looks viable.
The Rocky name comes from my previous career as a boxer....world champion at 'spider' weight....not really...it came from my addiction to 'Rocky Rasper' ice-lolls when I was a young fella.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the book. My bodhrán playing buddy, Colm Murphy, did the artwork on the cover and it servers as a good insight into the mind of these rhythm guys!
Beir Bua
Conal
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Gluten free, fat free and suitable for vegetarians.
http://www.hellotrade.com/dale-farm-ice ... cream.html
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

An eBook version would be great! I like using my iPad for all my music stuff any more (where possible). It just happens that PDFs can be imported directly into ForScore (a great music app, btw).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Rocky O Grada wrote:Hello Lads,
Thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully once a few of you have had a chance to see the book you will continue think well of it. First shipments went out today so thanks to everyone who has ordered them.
Pat, I don't intend to do a PDF version of it at the moment although an e-book version might be a possibility sometime in the future if it looks viable.
The Rocky name comes from my previous career as a boxer....world champion at 'spider' weight....not really...it came from my addiction to 'Rocky Rasper' ice-lolls when I was a young fella.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the book. My bodhrán playing buddy, Colm Murphy, did the artwork on the cover and it servers as a good insight into the mind of these rhythm guys!
Beir Bua
Conal
Wow.. One of my flute icons AND bodhrán personal Jesus :) Now i've got to buy it for sure!
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Got mine :-D

Will write more later, but yeah. This is the schtuff!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Julia Delaney wrote:I want to know how to do all this after three or four pints.

Just BE the Rock. BE the Rock. ;-)