Wintertime Indoor Humidity Alert!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wintertime Indoor Humidity Alert!

Post by Casey Burns »

Here is a good article about wintertime indoor humidity. Outside as here near Seattle the humidity can be around 100% - saturated. But inside where the same air is heated it can range into the single digits. Cliff Mass from the Department of Atmospheric Sciences at University of WA explains why:

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/12/f ... nside.html

The most important thing for wooden flutes in the winter is to keep them humidified, around 35% minimum. This is especially important in dry climates such as Colorado and the desert SW of the US. But even here in Seattle indoor humidity can range into the single digits!

My workshop is poorly insulated and poorly heated - something I need to change soon as I am getting a little too old and worn out for such conditions. The advantage though is that the humidity rarely varies from 45-55%, which is perfect for the stability of my instruments while building them.

Casey
pmcallis

Re: Wintertime Indoor Humidity Alert!

Post by pmcallis »

Thanks for the timely :poke: reminder, Casey.
Paul
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

86% outside.... 59% inside

'course we spend so much time outside that the house temp is less than 65°
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

25% in my house but 70% in my "flute box"... Great reminder Casey!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Casey Burns wrote:
The most important thing for wooden flutes in the winter is to keep them humidified, around 35% minimum. This is especially important in dry climates such as Colorado and the desert SW of the US. But even here in Seattle indoor humidity can range into the single digits!

Casey
I'm really confused about the minimum humidity. Is 35 percent really the minimum or is it higher?
I'm using a humidifier and more info would be welcome.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Been my observations that 35% is a good number. Below that number one can see movement in the wood, as the moisture in the wood achieves a new equilibrium. On humid days wood will actually pick up moisture from the atmosphere and especially so from playing. But I have noticed little change until one gets to that 35% with most woods, including blackwood.

Again, the main thing it to maintain a good humidity, even though the data are imprecise. Better to be safe than sorry.

Casey
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

Is 70% to much? I've been thinking about using an inexpensive cigar humidifier that maintains a constant, pre-set humidity level. The lowest version available is 65% relative humidity, though most are designed to maintain 70%.
tsackett

Post by tsackett »

I probably should have done a search of the forum before posting that last question. Now that I've done the search, I've got a sense of the boundaries. Casey has suggested 35-50% as the optimum. 75% seems to be the level at which mold becomes an issue. Several people have said that around 60% is okay. One person suggested that you should maintain a flute at the same humidity as the area in which it was manufactured, which seems doubtful, given that most flutes are not made al fresco.

The only consensus seems to be that you don't want your flute to experience extremes of humidity or, worse, rapid changes. It sounds like the cigar humidifiers I mentioned might work. They're from a company called Boveda, which claims that their product absorbs or releases moisture as necessary, instead of simply releasing a little bit at a time. The Boveda packets cost a few bucks each and last for 2-3 months. They advertise four humidity levels from 65% to 75%. It turns out they also, very quietly, sell a 62% packet described as "ideal storage humidity for herbal medicine". Perhaps I'll run down to my neighborhood medical marijuana dispensary and see if they sell them there.

-Tom
eilam

Post by eilam »

Tom, as long as you don't inhale !! ;)
drewr

Post by drewr »

Keep in mind that humidity levels also have a lot to do with the type of heating system in your house. I live in eastern Canada; hard to find a more wintery environment than here. The heat I have is oil-fired hot water, as opposed to forced air. I never have any difficulty keeping a steady 60% humidity level in my flute case all year around. Forced air heating results in much lower humidity levels.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Bought one of these:
A case humidifier from http://oasishumidifiers.com/case.html

I removed some padding from the lid of my flute case, stuck the steel holder, with adhesive back in the lid and attached the humidifier (which has pretty powerful magnets in the seam of the canister)

Might be overkill for a flute case, but i figured $20 cheap to keep a $1100 flute crack free..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I just got a new pipe chanter from Ireland and you want to talk about shock! The poor wee reed. Doesn't know what hit it.

Discretion is the better part of valor in all these things, I think.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Mmmm...hard to coax indoor humidity below 80% on the edge of Galway Bay, double glazing and solar dehumidifier should be in for Christmas though!
Mark
apossibleworld
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by apossibleworld »

don'tcha kinda wanna get one of these bad boys? look it's already got flute racks.

http://www.humidorvault.com/Climate-Car ... cc2000.htm

clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Or you could just move out to my neck of the woods. Current Honolulu temp 78F (25.5C), relative humidity 66% inside and outside. And in the summer? About the same.
Also because there are only two trad flute players that I know of in the state - you would be a big deal here.