Triplets

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

I have been practicing the triplets B-C-d,
A-C-A, and G-F-E. What are some of the other
common triplets that I can put into my drills?
Thanks
Alan
vcolby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vcolby »

Some other common ones I use:

G-F-A
(where the A is a whole note not a peep)

F-G-A
(where the A is a whole note not a peep, nice transition into A)

G-F-B
(where the A is a whole note not a peep, nice transition into B)

A-B-C#
Played one finger off each hole. Done very fast to replace an A, it is hard to get this one clean and fast.

F-G-E (second octave)
E played open not a peep.
Sounds good in the Kesh Jig.

These should keep you busy for a littl while.

Cheers,

Virgil
Toronto
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Now that I am approaching these, can someone tell me the purpose of a triplet, when it is used and why?

Does a triplet replace a single note, or add to it... etc., or is it (are they) something altogether different, or for ornamentation alone?

Are there any online charts or how-tos anywhere?
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

I am learning them as well. I think there are a few common uses, but different pipers seem to use them in different ways:

1) G-F-A : This one sounds nice as a transitional triplent between the low and back D. For example, between the first and second part of the Rambling Pitchfork.

2) F-G-A : You can use this one almost anywhere you trael between F and G do add a little depth to the melody.

3) F-G-E (high octave) : This one is nice where you have an E-G-E transition in the high octave (example The Kesh). Rather than doing E-G-E which is pretty boring on the pipe, I do E--FG-E.

See if you can pick up a CD of Todd Denmann -- he incorporates triples beautifully into his playing (clean, perfectly timed and smooth). His version of Mistress of the House is great for triplets.

Cheers,

Virgil
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

So triplets are a form of ornamentation? I know I sound real dumb here...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Elbogo, there are no *dumb* questions. Lots of us are learning. Keep asking. :smile:

-Paul
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

OK! When learning a tune, as a beginner, is it best to get the tune so it's down by heart, and then to add triplets (and other things) later?
piperben

Post by piperben »

Don't fear the Triplets.
Just play them over and over until they sound right.
I would put them in from the start, but thats just my personal preference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piperben on 2003-03-02 16:26 ]</font>
malanstevenson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

triplets

Post by malanstevenson »

Elbogo,
good to meet you at the SF Tionol (Mark, the other beginner). I found that watching people play triplets makes a huge difference - written descriptions of staccato triplets just weren't clicking with me (and I played GHPs as a kid, was used to triplets with open fingering, and still didn't quite get it) until John Pederson walked me through them. The MadforTrad CD Rom uilleann pipes tutorial has some nice video footage of Sean Potts demonstrating the standard triplets. Also, check out the Scoiltrad ( http://www.scoiltrad.com/ ) online pipe lessons. For each tune, they give you the bare-b0nes notation, notation with hints where to add triplets, rolls, etc., finger charts for the triplets, sound samples were you can hear each phrase at 50%, 80%, and 100% speed, AND video footage demonstrating the techniques and the whole tune being played. They have a 'sample demo' you can download and check out. I plan to spring for some lessons shortly, as I've heard the feedback they provide is good as well.

Regards,
Mark
No E

Triplets

Post by No E »

Elbogo wrote:

>Now that I am approaching these, can someone tell me the purpose of a >triplet, when it is used and why?

>Does a triplet replace a single note, or add to it... etc., or is it (are they) >something altogether different, or for ornamentation alone?

A triplet is a series of three notes to be played in the space (time) as two notes of the same value (e.g. an 1/8 note triplet would replace two 1/8 notes). They are used as rythymic variation, and in piping are generally played staccato. As I try to write this, I realize it would be much easier to explain this in person, with a chanter :oops:

Hope it's helpful anyway,

Larry Dunn
mconners

Post by mconners »

Ailin wrote:I have been practicing the triplets B-C-d,
A-C-A, and G-F-E. What are some of the other
common triplets that I can put into my drills?
Thanks
Alan
I'd suggest picking up the NPU book titled "The Dance Music of Willie Clancy". Clancy used many triplets in his playing and the book documents them in an understandable way.

Worse things could happen to you than being proficient in the triplets played by Willie Clancy.

As long as I am on the topic, I have found the Ennis tutor and the Patsy Tuohey books available from NPU to be very helpful.