What do you make of this? Fentum? Marked Wylde?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bradley-99
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What do you make of this? Fentum? Marked Wylde?

Post by Bradley-99 »

[Note: Thread Revival. - Mod]

can anyone tell me more about the flutes made by Jonathan Fentum (1723-1884), and later his son Jonathan fentum, and then his son after that Jonathan fentum, i am aware that by the time of Arthur fentum (my two times great grandfather) the flute business was non existent. i am aware that the first Jonathan Fentum was a member of Londons music society, does anyone know what that means and entails? and does anyone know any more about the quality of the flutes made by my six times great grandfather J fentum the first.

Thanks
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi Bradley - welcome here. I'm afraid I can't really help you very much - certainly not on such specific Qs as you have posed. I've handled several Fentum flutes, both H(enry) and J(onathan), but probably all middle period, 1830s-50s by their style. I'd say they are consistently decent quality instruments, very playable once restored, but that's about all I can say. I imagine you've followed the links up-thread to the research I did on the Eastes Cambridge connection (or will do so), and I've nothing to add to that. You can see more pictures of 3 Fentum flutes in my Facebook albums - feel free to link up with me there.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi Bradley

Just checking - are you familiar with the entries for the various Fentums in the New Langwill Index? Not a lot of detail, but maybe a starting point.

Terry
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Bradley, the recent poster, may wish to view this thread on Fentum, containing the relevant Langwill entry, and other info about Fentums.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78483&hilit=Fentum

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org