How to avoid being a wet blower

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cunparis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How to avoid being a wet blower

Post by cunparis »

I have realized that I'm probably what some call a "wet blower" or "wet player". For a while I've noticed a slight buzzing sound in my MK Low D which is most audible in the two bottom notes. If I clear out the window then it sounds fine but towards the end of a tune it starts to have that slight buzz. It also happens with other whistles.

I searched the forums and found a few solutions for the clogging problem, such as dish soap or anticondens. But I haven't found anything that would explain why someone is a wet blower and if it's something that can be corrected.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of moisture I'm putting into my whistles? Or is this just a characteristic of my breath?

I plan to try the soap & anticondens ideas - will try soap first while I wait for a bottle of anticondens. But If there's anything I can do to avoid the moisture in the first place I'd like to give that a try.

Thanks for your feedback.
Feadoggie

Re: How to avoid being a wet blower

Post by Feadoggie »

cunparis wrote:I searched the forums and found a few solutions for the clogging problem, such as dish soap or anticondens. But I haven't found anything that would explain why someone is a wet blower and if it's something that can be corrected.
The "Why?" is/are fairly simple. There are two sources of moisture to clog the windway- condensation and saliva. They are two different problems and call for different solutions.

The condensation things is fairly straight forward to address for the most part. It's a matter of physical conditions. And in the Northern Hemisphere the weather is becoming cooler each day this time of year. Blowing body temperature air through an all metal mouthpiece will certainly cause condensation if the mouthpiece is cold. Anti-condensation solutions will help move things along (into the body). Warming the whistle is the only real solution to lessen the condensation where it causes difficulty. Aluminum warms quickly. You've probably read all the various techniques used to warm the mouthpiece. Dfficulty is that aluminum cools just as quickly. So managing and clearing the condensation becomes a part of playing for many of us in cooler conditions. Pick your favorite method to clear the moisture and learn to do it along with breathing and blowing. I wouldn't suggest another type of whistle. The MK sounds terrific. And you should play whatever whistle you like. But it is true that some whistle materials and designs are less prone to forming condensation and becoming clogged.

Saliva is a concern for some, mostly for beginning whistlers. The "why" seems to tied to the fact that we are conditioned to salivate when we place something in our mouths from a young age. But it is a learned response and you should be able to un-learn that response when you pick up a whistle. Don't eat while you play whistle would be one suggestion. Again learn how to clear the clog and carry on.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Yeah, warm the mouthpiece or entire whistle beforehand. All methods of making air coming from your lungs drier have really unfortunate side effects, so you're going to have to learn to live with condensation.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

How long have you been playing? I could cause ankle deep flooding when I first started whistling. That's all behind me now.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

You may find as time goes on, that this actually becomes less of a problem, I think. Learning to keep a constant, focused stream of air moving through the windway as much as possible, will help to resolve moisture build-up issues. If you have a tendency to use a lot of tonguing for example, this can contribute to moisture build-up in the windway, and especially to clogging issues. I think that as your breath control and ornamentation techniques improve, this issue will also show some improvement. That doesn't necessarily mean it will go away... on the low D, I have developed a tendency to suck the moisture from the windway periodically, if the opportunity presents itself - whether it seems to need it or not. I also had some minor moisture issues with my MK until it had been played for several minutes. The Goldie is even more pronounced in this respect. With continued practice, you will learn to manage moisture build-up in each particular whistle you play. I do not treat my whistles with any type of surfacant, although there are others who swear by this tip. I don't want to put anything into the windway which could, over time, contribute to any type of solid build-up. I do however, keep them clean. Aluminum likes isopropyl alcohol, so don't be afraid to clean it out regularly. Sometimes keeping the whistle clean is all you need to do to alleviate moisture problems. :thumbsup:
Playing, not paying.
Denny

Post by Denny »

piano
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

Thanks for the tips everyone. I should have specified in my post that I was getting the condensation issues even after playing for 10+ minutes, so I do not believe it's an issue of warming up. And on the MK it never clogs, it just results in a slight gurgling / buzzing sound. ;)
How long have you been playing? I could cause ankle deep flooding when I first started whistling. That's all behind me now.
Whistle almost 1 year, Low Whistle 3 months.
AvienMael wrote:Learning to keep a constant, focused stream of air moving through the windway as much as possible, will help to resolve moisture build-up issues. If you have a tendency to use a lot of tonguing for example, this can contribute to moisture build-up in the windway, and especially to clogging issues. I think that as your breath control and ornamentation techniques improve, this issue will also show some improvement.
I think you might be on to something.. yesterday I noticed I got more condensation playing a hornpipe than I do on the slow airs. I may be tonguing too much.

On a hornpipe were we want a "ta tata tata" swing feel (to borrow a jazz term), do we have to use the tongue? I'm working on higgin's hornpipe.

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=music ... s1001/0900

Now that I think about it, tonguing every note is probably too much.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

PS: I've noticed this condensation while playing native american flute and my WX5 wind controller. The WX5 I can understand as it's like a saxophone and more of the mouthpiece is in the mouth, but on the NAF it's more likely condensation than saliva.

So I don't think it's an issue with any particular instrument but rather with me.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Denny wrote:piano
pipes
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

hoopy mike wrote:
Denny wrote:piano
pipes
Mandolin
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Pipe Bender

Post by Pipe Bender »

Two things to possibly avoid that I had read elsewhere on this Forum in the past:

- some insert too much of the mouthpiece into their mouth,

- some tongue the tip of the mouthpiece rather than tonguing the roof of their mouth.
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

Holding your head vertical can also help, for obvious reasons.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

I did a lot of research on this and will share my results:

I just mixed some dish soap & water and then took a business card and cut it to the width of the airway and dipped the card in the soapy water and then put it in the whistle several times, turning the whistle on each side (upside down etc.) to make sure it's everywhere. Then let it dry.

I found a webpage that said 50/50 water/dish soap with a tiny bit of alcohol. So I made up a solution of that for next time. Dish soap is good because we know it's not toxic. Makes sense. My first batch was maybe 10 soap 90 water so 50/50 is a lot stronger. Should work better.

Also I saw one can hold the whistle like this:

http://www.flute-a-bec.com/anticondens.jpg

plug the window with your finger, and just fill up the windway with the solution and then take your finger off and let it run out. That seems easier/better. I'll do this next time. Here are the instructions translated to English:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... ml&act=url

The other thing I read was here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... t-t33.html

It says if you blow air on your hand while your mouth is wide open and say "AHHH" it feels warm and is 31C. If you make a small hole and blow it's cool at 23-24C. So maybe I was unintentionally blowing hot air into my whistle? For the saxophone it's desirable to have a big open relaxed throat to get better sound.

So I did the soap and tried to think of blowing as if I was blowing through a really small hole and I had less condensation problems!! I'm going to keep experimenting and if needed redo the soap treatment with the stronger 50/50 mix. But so far so good!

I know Anticondens is an option, I may try a bottle of that.

The other advice in this thread on tonguing and putting very little of the whistle in the mouth is very useful as well.

Cheers.

PS: I also held the whistle a bit lower, I usually do about 25 degrees but holding it below 45 degrees can help the water to drain lower.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

I am not so sure about the dish soaps as these often contain salts and most metals do not like salts and can get stains from it. We use liquid hand soap when washing the whistles, just thought I might add this.

Greetings
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I've a theory. Raindrops form on dust particles, thus moisture beads form on what particles may accumulate in a windway. It's the beads that block. I use Gum Soft-Picks to assure clean windways. And use all the other tricks mentioned as well since vapor is a constant companion.
Mack