chanter question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: chanter question

Post by billh »

If this chanter is an uilleann pipe chanter, then this key sounds like the high e key. This could possibly indicate that the instrument is quite old and/or valuable, as the high e key has been a rarity for over a hundred years. I would repeat the advice to NOT MOUTH BLOW this instrument, just in case it is actually an old uilleann pipe chanter.

If you send a photo, publicly or privately (PM me), it may be possible to identify the chanter by sight alone. Also, please measure the length of the wooden section of the instrument to the nearest millimeter and report that - it will help establish the intended pitch.

best regards,

Bill
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...this is killing me! :x

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
joconnor58
Tell us something.: Not a new musician, but fairly new to the Uilleann Pipes. I am primarily a bass player, studied jazz bass in university, but also play, piano, saxophone, clarinet and drums. Looking forward to a long and happy experience with the pipes!

Post by joconnor58 »

Maybe the OP is frightened now. That perhaps he has something special and will be publicly flogged for having mouth-blown it.

I, for one, am all-a-twitter to find out what this thing is. The suspense is riveting.
Learning to breathe with my elbows.....
henryr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by henryr »

Hi all and thanks for all the replies.I have yet to take photos. However here is more info.

The total length is 14 3/8". The top most section that the reed goes into is 15/16" long and 5/8" outer diameter. The smallest outer diameter at the top where the keyed hole is is 9/16" and the bell flare diameter is 1 7/8". The keyed hole has a brass tube lining and the diameter of the hole in the brass liner is 3/32". It is all wood except for the brass hole liner. It has a gentle taper and smooth flare. There are no metal or ivory rings around the flare.

Is still do not understand why mouth blowing is bad. I have a Rigoutat oboe made in 1952 that still plays great. About once a year I very lightly apply bore oil inside and out and have done the same with the chanter.

I made a brass key pivot, that fits in the dovetail perfectly, and a brass key with a cork pad for covering the hole. I have not finished the finger touch because I would like to duplicate it's original position. Can anyone steer me to a picture of a similar chanter?

Thanks,
Henry Rancourt
morning wood

Post by morning wood »

What a faff. Just take some pics :x !!! A picture paints a thousand words 'n' all that.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

henryr wrote:Can anyone steer me to a picture of a similar chanter?
Probably not, until you post a picture of your chanter so we can get an idea what it actually is.
It doesn't seem to be an uilleann pipe chanter. The length and outer diameter at the top correspond more or less with the dimensions of a french cornemuse chanter in the key of G, which means that with all holes closed (except for the vent holes - are there any?) it should sound F natural - with the proper reed (which is considerably smaller than an oboe reed). However, I've never seen a cornemuse chanter with such a key, which is not needed because it overblows easily up to the fourth. So I guess, it probably is something different.
The bore dimensions would help a lot in identifying this instrument.
Mouth blowing is not bad at all - for instruments that are designed to be mouth blown.
Bagpipes of whatever kind do not fall into this category, even if the bagpipe as such is mouth blown, the air goes into the bag first where most of the moisture condenses and is being absorbed by the bag seasoning, only a relatively small amount of moisture gets to the reeds and into the bore. Uilleann pipes, among others, are designed to be played perfectly dry; being bellows blown, no moisture except for the humidity of the ambient air gets in contact with the instrument. Therefore timbers can be (and are being) used that have good sound qualities but do not withstand the moisture from mouth blowing.
Mouth blowing a bagpipe (and particularly an uilleann pipe) chanter can be compared with strumming chords with a plectrum on a violin - you can do it for a while, but you will destroy the instrument, and any violin player will hate you for doing that...
The finger touch of the key needs to be in a postion where it can be reached by your finger, but doesn't obstruct the movement of the same finger. Again, pictures would be helpful - if in doubt, make the key touch a bit longer, you can always shorten it. Cork, if of the very best quality, can work as a key pad, but is certainly not ideal. Soft leather, dense foam material or commercially available key pads (for round headed keys) will most probably give better results - it is essential that the key is perfectly tight, otherwise you will invariably have tuning issues.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I still think its one of these Arie DeKyser thingys. second 'morning woods' post.
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Technically the wrong forum section for this although it is an Irish Bagpipe being based on one invented/patented by Edward Joseph Meagher of Cork 1919

Meagher style chanter, simple pattern with just the speaker key

The speaker key made of sheet metal in the manner of the Taylors and is attached by a channel shaped holder that slots into the dovetailed recess and is operated by the rotating the index finger of the top hand.

http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/country/b ... agher.html

Chris
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

well Henry, if you have an actual Meagher chanter, then you are certainly onto something nice there.

real crime to mouthblow that.
ya see;
Oboes, clarinets, english horns, all *generally* have thicker walls than bagpipe chanters. pipe chanters can be made with thinner walls because they dont have to endure rapid, extreme cycles of wet & dry/warm & cool, like my 1920;s paired set of Cabart Oboe & English horn, with the 'sailboat' stamp.

nice pictures Bayley.
henryr

Post by henryr »

To all who have been interested in this:

The pictures are of my actual instrument. Chris, thanks for putting them in this forum. Also what would be the proper forum for this chanter or discussion. I know nothing about bagpipes or chanters. I primarily play transverse silver French flutes from the 1880's. I bought the chanter because I thought it had a very good sound with an oboe reed, and was in great condition, with a pleasing design and it only cost me $15 or $20.

Henry
henryr

Post by henryr »

I added some pic's of pivot and key I made 2 replies down.
Last edited by henryr on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Cannot see the pictures so guess you may have misd out the image tags

Chris, as you seem to know what this beastie is can you explain how it works even if it is the wrong forum

Good to see you are back on the forum

John
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Improvement in bagpipes. - United Kingdom Patent GB136437

Inventor- Meagher Edward Joseph

Assignee-Meagher Edward Joseph

IPC, G10D 07/06, G10D 07/00, GB136437 is referenced by 1 patents.

GB patent # 136,437. Meagher, E. J. April 9, 1919. Improvements in Bagpipes.-

Vent-holes 14, 15. 16 in each drone a, b, c, normally closed by spring-controlled plates. enable the drones to produce a chord corresponding with any key in which it is desired to play on the chanter. The chanter e has an open vent-hole 8 producing the key-note F, a back thumb-hole 1 producing its octave, and front vent-holes 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 producing the notes G, A, B-flat, U, and D respectively. The compass may be extended up to the higher C by a normally-closed harmonic vent-hole 9. Normally-closed vent-holes 10, 11, 12 sounding the notes C-sharp, B, G-sharp respectively, and a normally-closed vent-hole 13 sounding, with the vent-hole 2, either E or E-flat, enable all semitones from F to C to be produced.

Title: Improvement in bagpipes.
direct citation, link: http://patent.ipexl.com/GB/GB136437.html
your welcome :love:
hmmmm...cant seem to get a DOD on Mr EJ Meagher of Co Cork...
...when does this expire??? :poke:

PS "U" is short for 'ut'...wot was our C natural back then :)
henryr

Post by henryr »

Here are some much clearer photos of the pivot block and key I made. Are they even close to the original?
http://imageshack.us/g/52/img0142buh.jpg/
henryr

Post by henryr »

Is anyone interested in buying this chanter?