Another R&R ready for the session!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Another R&R ready for the session!

Post by Jon C. »

Thought I would share a photo of the latest restoration, completed for one of the lucky Chiff and Fippler's...
The flute is a R&R #3283, patent head silver keys and beautiful Cocuswood. I just finished the extra Cocus head joint, with a classic Rudall embouchure cut. Nice player!
Drool away! :P
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Another R&R ready for the session!

Post by benhall.1 »

Looks gorgeous, Jon. Looks a bit like mine, in fact. :D

[I hasten to add, for non-Jon type people: this one isn't mine, but close in serial number.]
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Nice work, Jon!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nice work, Jon. Looks very like mine. # is 1400 earlier - so date is (?) probably 1838+/- a year or so.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

OoooOOoo,,, :shock: THat's a Dream FLute! Well done...
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Nice head joint!!

:puppyeyes:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Beautiful piece, Jon! Why the extra head? Is it also lined?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

flute is ~ 1836-37

what did you do about the longF block, jon? originally it looked off-color or a stained replacement.
did you match cocus to it?

nice work on the crack and it appears you didn't replace the missing ring under the PH crown? or did you?

and it looks like you "righted" the Eb key. I imagine it was bent downward to avoide venting when using the C foot keys
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

The new head joint is unlined.
The new long F block is Cocus, matches good, but needs to get a little darker. The Patent head never had a upper ring by the crown, so I didn't add one. I guess it was an option, as the wood is captive under the ring hidden under the crown. The Eb keys are always getting abused, they either cut off part of the touch, or bend them, instead of just putting on the right pad.
I will post before photos when I get a chance.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is a "before photo" of the flute. Pretty close match on the Long F block!

Michael Flatley

Jon
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

Looks beautiful, Jon. Question: why is it that you and other restaurers so often replace the head of these antique flutes? Is it to correct tuning to modern standards, or for the wear on the tuning slide or something similar? Can't be for the crack I guess, cause you've repaired that nicely.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

pflipp wrote:Looks beautiful, Jon. Question: why is it that you and other restaurers so often replace the head of these antique flutes? Is it to correct tuning to modern standards, or for the wear on the tuning slide or something similar? Can't be for the crack I guess, cause you've repaired that nicely.
It was on the request of the customer. The patent head plays well, but it makes the flute head heavy, which can be tiring after a while. But most times it will be for tuning issues. I try to keep the flute original as much as possible.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

A BEAUTY !