Moving to Ireland...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Moving to Ireland...

Post by Denny »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I am not planning on leaving Clare either, I recognise the challenges though. Have seen a lot of people arrive brimming with enthusiasm who couldn't cope after a while.
I understand and agree! I know natives that do not cope well with the challenges...
Othannen wrote:Well the plan is not to stay there forever. I'm going for a full immersion in music, in the hope of becoming a good enough musician, and after that I may move somewere else (definitely not back in Italy). If I don't change my mind while I'm there, it should be anywere from 4 months to 2 years.
yeah, I was definitely not moving back to Ohio. :D
You are at an age to take advantage of the ability to do something like that.
It may never come again, enjoy!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

I left a tropical home when I was 17 and moved to coastal Alaska.
Youth is the time for adventure, lose or win.
Go for it and good luck.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Do it Lorenzo. Some people naturally say "yes" to an idea and some people say "no." I say "Go for it!" The worst that could happen is that you'd not like it and would move back to Italy. My good friend Paolo moved here from Italy and shows no sign of leaving.
Those people whose first response to a young man's hopes is to complain about the deadly mist don't have much sunshine in their souls. You have the rest of your life to be cautious and negative. Now's the time to be optimistic and fearless.
Belfast has its charms but I much prefer the looseness and vitality of Galway. Galway is a young person's city. And if you want a relaxed local session you can hitch-hike down to us in County Clare and we'll give you a hot meal and a warm bed for the night.
Good luck!
Last edited by Julia Delaney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

You're only young once so go out into the world and good luck :) . I'd choose Galway also. My girlfriend's daughter & her boyfriend moved to Galway in early 2010, but left after 5 months as they couldn't find a job. The few job opportunities that came up went to Irish job seekers. They busked on the walking street, but it wasn't enough to live on, that is buy food & pay for their room.

Hopefully you will get lucky, and find a job, find a girl, get immersed in the music. I moved to Sweden with just my guitar (a Gibson J160E for the guitar nerds amongst us) when I was 21.

Another idea is move to London, lots of Irish traditional music there, and although accomodation is expensive there are jobs to be had. All the best
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Thanks guys.
Well at least I don't drink alcohol and can cook my own food, it should make me save some money.
I'm still not completely sure about music's scene in Galway though...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

There's a couple of Danish ex-pats in Galway that are very active in Galway sessions, Anders Trabjer who plays box, flute & fiddle, Jonas with dreads a good banjo player, Charlene a French fiddle player, Anders' girlfriend from Japan also a fiddler. Sessions at the Crane, Quays for ex. Others here know more about the Galway session scene than I do
Paul McGlinchey

Post by Paul McGlinchey »

Hi Lorenzo,

There are probably pros and cons with moving to either city.

I was at university in Belfast and then lived there for another eight years, having left it about five and half years ago. The music scene is very good and there are sessions most if not every night. Plenty of big, powerful flute sounds! The cost of living is definitely cheaper than the south, although benefits (if you are in need of them and as a EU national, you would qualify) are also considerably less.

I have enjoyed going to Galway any time I have had a chance. It has obvious benefits of a brilliant music scene and is close to Clare, which is still to me, unrivalled as the place to play ITM.

Good luck with your decision, and if I can give any practical advice to you, particularly about Belfast, give me a call.

Paul
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Funny, there are so many (like myself) who are enchanted by their holiday tours of the Italian hill towns. Many dream of Tuscan or Umbrian retirements, and often make them happen. But I'll concede that I saw little evidence of casual community music-making there.

OTOH, there are warm, beautiful places with very active music communities and great sessions. Like here, for instance.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

Hey Lorenzo - As per employment in Ireland, I was an employment counselor many years, worked with many ex-pats relocating to other countries. I always recommended they identify and seek opportunities with home country employers doing business in their new location. I don't know your work background, but a quick google search yielded this http://www.jobisjob.ie/dublin/italian-companies/jobs and http://ireland.xpatjobs.com/. Also, check if their is an "Italian Chamber of Commerce" located in any of the cities, another good way to make connections. I can in no way vouch for these sites or the validity of the jobs, but at first glance looks legit. On the upside, they may help you land something good before even making the move! Or at least develop some good solid leads. Best wishes!
Russ

P.S. Feel free to PM or e-mail me directly if you'd like to chat more about pre-move job search strategies.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Mr Gumby wrote:It's not really a time where the 'find a little job' part of your idea will be very easy. And you need that part as it's still a very expensive place to live.

The weather, well, it's not really the cold that gets you, it's the l grey light, the wet and drizzle for days, weeks on end that will eat at you and require the mental adjustments to cope with it all once the honeymoon phase is over. The good days are brilliant though. But understand the place you visit occasionally on your holliers is not the same place you'll find yourself living in.
He's completely right, it won't be easy, but even Mr Gumby was probably 22 once upon a time (or a bit younger) and might even have had his own little adventure :wink:. You only live once, try it and see. If you're not going to do it now then you'll just end up like the rest of us, figuring out how to do it at 50.

PS. Check the Galway session scene group on Facebook, also the University students trad society sessions. Go to the Western hotel session on a Wednesday night and introduce yourself, they're very friendly. It would depend what consistency you were looking for. There are various sessions, they vary....in quality, whether there are any local musicians there, how noisy the crowd is (Spanish and Italian students?), not that many flutes. Easy enough to get into Connemara, Headford, Ennis. Or go to Dublin instead?
Mark
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

Hi Lorenzo!

That's a great idea!
I have moved a bit back and forth between Sweden and Ireland and I lived in some different places over there; Dublin, Ennis and Limerick, which are all great places.
I visited Belfast a year ago or so together with my girlfriend who used to live there. I was really taken by the place and if I was going to live in Ireland again for some time, I would probably head for Belfast.
It's a very lively city with tons of outstanding musicians and some of my absolute favourite flute players lives there and plays regularly.
It is a very open atmosphere and the traditional music scene is very welcoming. It's just awesome!
Well, thats my experience anyway...

Galway is of course a brilliant place as well, but you know that already..
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I agree with all those saying; while you're young and free, if you can, go for it - absolutely. I was just (with others) sticking in some grey realism - not to put off, but to forewarn so that it can be taken into due consideration.....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Thanks people, I'll think about it. I guess I'll never know untill I visit Belfast city. It may not be that easy though...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

while you're young and free, if you can, go for it
I don't think one needs to be young and/or free to do it. If you want it, go, at any time of your life. I do think having realistic expectations will help you settle in better, rose tinted glasses will only set you up for disappointment.
My brain hurts

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Hi,
I am much older than you and am considering to spend more time in Ireland. Not the whole year around but finding a spot to go to now and then is something worth while to consider. Finding such a place is something else because I'm not planning to pay hotel prices. Why not try Limerick or Ennis? you would be central and be able to go to the North or South and in the middle of the music scene. Only a thought. Good luck!