Funky hole spacing on MEG C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I was fiddling with my MEG C today (did the sticky tac tweak, which improved it quite a bit actually), and remembered another reason I rarely play it...the hole spacing is totally wacky. The bottom hole is so far below the other two right-hand holes (about an inch, while the other two holes are almost crowded against each other) that it's really awkward to play. In fact, in order to hit the bell note properly, I have to use a modification of the piper's grip with my right hand. Does anyone else out there have a MEG C, and is this typical of them, or do I just have an odd one? It really is the most uncomfortable whistle to play that I own, and the tone, while pleasant enough, isn't spectacular enough to make it worth the effort.

Redwolf
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Red,
I agree completely. I rarely play anything other than a D whistle anyway and when I have tried to play the Meg C it was so hard to play that it wasn't worth the effort. Especially since I have a not-bad Generation C.
Mike
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I have a Meg C, and it never gets played, but not because of the hole spacing, it's because it's not in tune with itself across the scale. The Meg D is fine though, probably nicer then the Sweetones I have. The Generation Bb has an awkward bottom hole, but I got used to it when I did start playing it frequently.

When I want to play a C, I have a really nice Feadog in Nickel with black head, and it's got a really comfortable mouthpiece. Don't think I'll ever need another C whistle.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I wonder why they set the holes up that way? It's not a major deal for me...when I need a C, I play my Elfsong, which has a very comfortable reach and a lovely tone, but I'd hesitate even to give the MEG C away, it's just so difficult to play.

Redwolf
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I don't have a Meg C, but I assume the hole spacing is the same as on a Sweetone C.
I have a Sweetone C, and I rarely play it because of the awkward position of the right hand holes.
When I do play a C whistle, I reach for my trusty nickel Generation.
I also have a brass Waltons, but it's just too breathy and weak... and not very well in tune.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Eh, so it's not just me! I've been wondering how anybody plays a lower whistle than a C, if they are all like that--it's good to know this is not the norm!

Robin
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

My favorite whistles all share this same awkward fingering. But they all have a beautiful low end (right-hand) sound.
Sindt A + bb
Grinter low D
Alba Low C

I has to do with our 6-hole major scale. The 2nd hole just needs to be big and close to a smallish 3rd one. Now of course, you can bring the 1st hole higher up and more comfortable : just make it smaller. But then don't complain you find the sound of the E tone meek.

Some whistle makers have successfully attempted to solve this dilemna, with big holes spaced for their sound, then the 1st hole offset to the right so you get a more comfortable grip. For some reason, it seems this obvious option doesn't hit success... Is it a question of potential resale value to left-handed players :roll:

Anyway, if you want evenly spaced right-hand holes, just get a regular recorder, and leave the C tone pignose alone. After all it's easier to half-hole a regular F to make it F# then trying to get decent the bl@#€%§! F-nat from a regular whistle... :razz:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I whipped out my Meg C last night to give it another try.

The worst feature for me was the cross-fingered C-nat. Most of my whistles are fine, the Clare is a bit out but can be adjusted with breath control, but the Meg C is just awful. I need to finger it OXX XXO to get near the note. I can't learn this new fingering just for one whistle, so Meg C goes back in the unplayable pile.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks Martin for that vindication. I have the exact same problem with my Meg C. My Meg D as well. Cross fingering is bad on both of them but especially the C (Bb).

My Susato A is also horribly out of tune with itself. The upper register is waay flat.

BTW. What is the Blutack tweak?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Zubivka wrote:My favorite whistles all share this same awkward fingering. But they all have a beautiful low end (right-hand) sound.
Sindt A + bb
Grinter low D
Alba Low C

I has to do with our 6-hole major scale. The 2nd hole just needs to be big and close to a smallish 3rd one. Now of course, you can bring the 1st hole higher up and more comfortable : just make it smaller. But then don't complain you find the sound of the E tone meek.

Some whistle makers have successfully attempted to solve this dilemna, with big holes spaced for their sound, then the 1st hole offset to the right so you get a more comfortable grip. For some reason, it seems this obvious option doesn't hit success... Is it a question of potential resale value to left-handed players :roll:

Anyway, if you want evenly spaced right-hand holes, just get a regular recorder, and leave the C tone pignose alone. After all it's easier to half-hole a regular F to make it F# then trying to get decent the bl@#€%§! F-nat from a regular whistle... :razz:
My only other C is my Elfsong, and it doesn't seem to have this problem. In the MEG, the C hole is so far below the D, there's just no reaching it without some awkward (and uncomfortable) maneuvering. Perhaps this is a problem with conical whistles?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Ya know it`s funny but I never give hole spacing a thought. Each of my different whistles require something different from me. I never play just one whistle exclusively. I have way to many favorites. So I guess the period of adjustment is short. When I first got my Parkhurst set the Eb tube was a challange because of hole placement and size but after an hour of initial playing I don`t notice it. I think it may take a few minutes of patient suplication to the whistles wants to over come our muscle memory but that is all it is. I say if you lots of whistles play them all. Which is the only way I can justify my own version of WhOA :roll:

Tom
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

Um, I'm very new to whistling but this got my attention:
The worst feature for me was the cross-fingered C-nat. Most of my whistles are fine, the Clare is a bit out but can be adjusted with breath control, but the Meg C is just awful. I need to finger it OXX XXO to get near the note. I can't learn this new fingering just for one whistle, so Meg C goes back in the unplayable pile.
Is a C nat played on a C whistle played: XXX XXX?
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Hoed wrote:Um, I'm very new to whistling but this got my attention:
Is a C nat played on a C whistle played: XXX XXX?
You're right, of course. Most of us tend to think in terms of Cnat on a D whistle (even when we're playing other keys)...I guess because it can be such a bugbear. On a C whistle, the "Cnat" fingering would, of course, actually produce Bb.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!