Cake!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Cake!

Post by mutepointe »

Yep, that's what I meant by custard.

So glad your cake come out fine. A whole holiday's success was based on that cake.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

To elicit your pity, Ben, here is an example, commercial and very typical, of what we Statesiders associate with the word "fruitcake":

Garish, isn't it. And probably not all that tasty. And while we're on the topic of questionable holiday, um, "treats", allow me as a Minnesotan to give you all a glimpse into the dark world of lutefisk (I wouldn't have bothered with this bit of OT but this new-found pic is just too real to resist):

I know. I don't get it, either.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

What is going on with that fork? Did someone hurl on the tines and then come back for more?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

That "cake" looks dreadful. That's never actually sold under the description "fruit cake" is it? You'd be had up under the Trades Descriptions Act here for that.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:What is going on with that fork? Did someone hurl on the tines and then come back for more?
You could say that. Minnesotans are unique, and like flies, we partially pre-digest our food outside our stomachs. That's what you're seeing there: the digestion process.

No, but seriously, it's a cream-based white sauce, which is traditional. I don't see how it could improve anything. And no one dares call it Béchamel: they'd be laughed out of the Veterans' Hall.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:That "cake" looks dreadful. That's never actually sold under the description "fruit cake" is it?
It is.
benhall.1 wrote:You'd be had up under the Trades Descriptions Act here for that.
There's a certain amount of greater comparative laxity here in the States about regulating some things. For lack of a better term, we call it "freedom". And obviously it comes at a price.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

When the price is bad cake for good cake, it's too expensive.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't like the sound of freedom. I'm glad we haven't got anything like that here in the UK. Ugh!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:When the price is bad cake for good cake, it's too expensive.
Fortunately we're not prohibited from making our own.

But the aforementioned is very ubiquitous, I'm afraid.
benhall.1 wrote:I don't like the sound of freedom. I'm glad we haven't got anything like that here in the UK. Ugh!
No, no, Ben. You forgot the quotemarks. But let's not get political over fruitcake.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I don't like the sound of freedom. I'm glad we haven't got anything like that here in the UK. Ugh!
No, no, Ben. You forgot the quotemarks. But let's not get political over fruitcake.
Nah. We'll leave that to the currant affairs forum. It's their raisin d'etre.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A halvah good suggestion.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Is that the brith you can come up with? Jaffa 'nuther one? Muffin huh? Torte not ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I would not be such a marron as to be the one to have stollen this thread. Meanwhile, please compote yourself.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Hmmm ... seven minutes ... best tread gingerly ...
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, I hate to say it - you may be winning, M'deira. I could end up the lemon here. Fancy.