Black PVC flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Black PVC flute

Post by plunk111 »

Just finished my first black one - PVC pipe came last Monday and it's rainy and cold today (not biking weather). Don't know if it's the pipe or me (I've made quite a few out of the white PVC), but this one is NICE! I followed the directions on Doug's site exactly and this thing plays VERY well! To my ears, it sounds a bit more like a baroque flute than an Irish flute (I stuck with the round embouchure hole) and it requires a slightly more relaxed embouchure, but it is just purdy. I buffed it down with fine steel wool and then some rougher steel wool when I was done and you'd be hard pressed to tell it's not ABW from more than 5 feet away.

Thanks for the tip on the pipe, Doug, AND for the superb directions on your website!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Black PVC flute

Post by Akiba »

Sounds good. Can you make me one? :wink:
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I think..... NOT! Hey, half the fun is makin' it yerself! Besides if you want a decent one, you should talk to Doug.

Pat
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

If you are willing to post a sound clip, that would be great! I'm close to trying to make one of those flutes myself. Thanks,
Russ
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

OK - you asked for it... Here's a sound sample: Coalminer's Reel

Warning: I recorded this on my iPhone in a mausoleum (yes, a mausoleum!). I like to walk in my local cemetery and if nobody is visiting their deceased relatives in the mausoleum, I go in there to play.

Pat
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

plunk111 wrote:
I like to walk in my local cemetery and if nobody is visiting their deceased relatives in the mausoleum, I go in there to play.
SPOOKY

I also like to walk in my local cemetery. I can't say to much for the company, however.
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

Yeah - the acoustics are a little spooky, but the flute DOES sound cool!
Kmeister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kmeister »

You'r Freakin' me out Pat!
NZJLY

Post by NZJLY »

plunk111 wrote:I like to walk in my local cemetery and if nobody is visiting their deceased relatives in the mausoleum, I go in there to play.

Pat
Nice tone, and the playing is much better than mine. :thumbsup:
You would know your playing is really bad though, if the audience walked out :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

John
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

Nice thing is that noBODY ever complains! I will say that on one of my visits I heard a funky noise (not coming from me) and exited post haste.

Oh yeah - I never do any composing in there 'cause there's too much de-composing goin' on!

Pat
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I've played at funerals in mausoleums. The acoustics are awesome. A person has to hold back a bit.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

A friend of mine is building a house in the mountains of West Virginia and he built a vault room into the basement. It's about 6 feet wide x 25 feet long and has concrete walls floor and ceiling. I love to play my flute in there. Right now It's illuminated by one hanging light bulb which adds to the eeriness of the whole experience.

Cheers,

Kirk
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Kirk B wrote:...he built a vault room into the basement...
I have one of those in my basement as well...it does make for a nice place to play, particularly slow airs, but also tends to be a bit chilly regardless of the season.

If one is playing in a mausoleum and gets a sudden chill, on the other hand, according to popular paranormal science it might be a good time to check one's tuning...

By the way, nice playing, Pat!
"As a poet and mathematician, he would reason well; as a poet, profoundly; as mere mathematician, he could not have reasoned at all..."
~Edgar Allen Poe, "The Purloined Letter"
---------------
Casey Burns Standard, Mopane, 5 Keys