Snow!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Snow!

Post by benhall.1 »

It is being reported over here that 16m Americans have been affected by the severe and unusually early snow in Eastern parts. I'm not quite sure where though.

I guess a fair few of our members here are affected.

So, what's it like, chaps?

MTGuru

Re: Snow!

Post by MTGuru »

Seems pretty clear here in the Eastern parts of San Diego.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'm even farther North than MTGuru, and there's no snow here.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

The snippet I saw said Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Strictly East Coast. Did it happen?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

here's a meteorologist's explanation of an east coast nor'easters...

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Eastern Canada may get a bit of rain now and then, but mostly we're expecting sun and clouds, with no snow in sight. http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/canada_e.html

Sounds like your media are giving you a snow job.
dwest

Post by dwest »

The mountains in western Virginia got snow and I saw numerous vehicles in that part of the state with upwards to four inches still on top. Parts of Massachusetts got over 19 inches.
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

I was looking forward to a little snow here in the southern bowels of New Jersey. Just got pelted with alot of sleet. Winter is my favorite time of the year... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

This corner of Connecticut was lucky, just getting an inch or so of slushy snow. Most of Connecticut lost power, though - high winds and heavy, wet snow exacerbated by trees still full of leaves, so lots of trees falling on power lines. I heard it may be till Friday before everyone gets their power back (especially bad for those who heat with electricity, since it's stayed cold since the storm). Friends in New Hampshire and in western and northeastern Massachusetts also lost power.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Colorado got hit last week. 8-12 inches of wet heavy snow in the foothills corridor. Brought down many trees. $1.6 million clean up costs in my little town of Fort Collins alone.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
BeansTasteFine

Post by BeansTasteFine »

Massachusetts got nailed pretty well, particularly in the western part. Boston's fine.
chas

Post by chas »

I saw on the TV that the town my niece lives in in New Hampshire got 32". That's a whole lotta snow for October. My brother recently moved from there to NW Connecticut, so "only" got like 16". We didn't get anything noticeable here, but less than 40 miles away, there was up to a foot.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

fifenwhistle wrote:Colorado got hit last week. 8-12 inches of wet heavy snow in the foothills corridor. Brought down many trees. $1.6 million clean up costs in my little town of Fort Collins alone.
How on earth does it cost that much? I suppose it's the tree clearance, plus restoration of power lines, where the money gets soaked up.
dwest

Post by dwest »

benhall.1 wrote:
fifenwhistle wrote:Colorado got hit last week. 8-12 inches of wet heavy snow in the foothills corridor. Brought down many trees. $1.6 million clean up costs in my little town of Fort Collins alone.
How on earth does it cost that much? I suppose it's the tree clearance, plus restoration of power lines, where the money gets soaked up.

Localities could possibly begin to recoup some of that loss if they established urban tree milling to help handle all that bio-mass that has fallen. When Irene hit here we had over 100,000 cubic yards of tree material to dispose of. Much of it was mill-able either for dimensional lumber or firewood, but instead it was mass burned, mulched, or landfilled. The mulch will be sold by the city but likely before it is properly composted so it will cause more damage than help to residential landscapes. We had to get trucks from all over the USA just to transport the waste in a reasonable amount of time. Our citywide(pop. 180,000) damage cost was one life of a child and 7.9 million dollars.