So what is everyone going as?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So what is everyone going as?

Post by mutepointe »

I usually come up with a conceptual costume that doesn't involve a lot. One of my favorites is to put a toy monkey on a string so that it hangs down my back. Another is using a marker to put 665 on my face. That 665, so close. I haven't thought one up this year, it'll come to me. So what is everyone going as?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Re: So what is everyone going as?

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote:I usually come up with a conceptual costume that doesn't involve a lot. One of my favorites is to put a toy monkey on a string so that it hangs down my back. Another is using a marker to put 665 on my face. That 665, so close. I haven't thought one up this year, it'll come to me. So what is everyone going as?
How about 667? Always on the cutting edge, ahead of your time.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I am going as the scariest thing the people around me know.

Me. :twisted:

In Ireland we didn't use to dress up for Samhain. In Scotland the Guisers did, but not the rest of us. Our tradition, in both countries, was fireworks, and parties with things like ducking for apples and eating a jammy-piece on a string.

Trick-or-Treating hasn't caught on in England. We sometimes get a few enthusiastic children with apologetic minders, but they don't go far afield. If you are more than two-hundred yards from anyone with young children, you are unlikely to get trick-or-treaters. We haven't had any for the last two years. We do lay in a supply of sweeties - sorry, "candy" - but it was untouched.

I am having people around for a small firework display on Monday night. There will be mulled wine. I'm pondering the scariest features I can carve into my usual two pumpkins. (We don't like to overdo things.) I think the thing that's likeliest to scare the neighbours is the word "POLICE" carved into the pumpkin. I am certainly tempted...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Innocent Bystander wrote: I think the thing that's likeliest to scare the neighbours is the word "POLICE" carved into the pumpkin. I am certainly tempted...
Will you be able to get the faces of all three of them on one pumpkin?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

dwest wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: I think the thing that's likeliest to scare the neighbours is the word "POLICE" carved into the pumpkin. I am certainly tempted...
Will you be able to get the faces of all three of them on one pumpkin?
Fair Point. I might have to confine it to "Police Sting"...
You've prompted a better idea though. I could do Katie Price, using three pumpkins...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

I'm going to take my whistle out and pretend to be a musician.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I can't remember the last time I wore anything more elaborate for Hallowe'en than my jack-o'lantern hat, but here's my daughter Becca and bf Jason from last week:
(this will be obscure unless you're familiar with this viral youtube clip and know that Becca is a turtle.
Olivia and her bf Brian usually come up with excellent costumes. Last year they were Princess Daisy and Luigi, and a couple years earlier Pikachu and Ash. Olivia usually makes this stuff herself.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

You raise 'em right, emm!
missy

Post by missy »

We're going to a Halloween murder mystery party tonight. I have the part of a swamp monster (I got a ghilli suit for that), Tom is tje serial killer (hockey mask, machete, etc.)

On Monday I'll have my usual witch costume on.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Trick-or-Treating hasn't caught on in England. We sometimes get a few enthusiastic children with apologetic minders, but they don't go far afield. If you are more than two-hundred yards from anyone with young children, you are unlikely to get trick-or-treaters.
In some places it has really taken off. I know loads of people who now loathe Halloween as they get over-run by kids on the prowl for free sweets. I'm lucky, I live on a quiet little lane that nobody comes down but on the local estates it is apparently a free-for-all at times.

As for me, well I'm a miserable old scrote and won't be dressing up at all.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hotblack wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Trick-or-Treating hasn't caught on in England. We sometimes get a few enthusiastic children with apologetic minders, but they don't go far afield. If you are more than two-hundred yards from anyone with young children, you are unlikely to get trick-or-treaters.
In some places it has really taken off. I know loads of people who now loathe Halloween as they get over-run by kids on the prowl for free sweets. I'm lucky, I live on a quiet little lane that nobody comes down but on the local estates it is apparently a free-for-all at times.
Here in the States things have moved along and Halloween is definitely not just for children any more; adults really get into it, and I have seen some very creative getups, from the brilliantly silly to some so disturbing as to elicit much comment. But of course that would be the intention. Adult Halloween costume parties and pub crawls are now commonplace, and it seems as if everyone talks about what to wear. You get some great people-watching at this time. Some of it not so good. But, that's how it is. The main thing is the fun of being big grown-up kids.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm wearing scrubs, a surgical cap and mask. Alas, I'm on OR call on Halloween... Any blood you see on me will be real :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dwest

Post by dwest »

We take all our creativity out on our pumpkins, then I light them up with strobe flashlights, that way I can bake them the next day. Unfortunately some of the younger children get a little scared of these pumpkins so I usually stand outside where they don't have to pass the pumpkins on the way to the front door. The older kids love them, I usually carve my pumpkin's mouths to look something like an Anoplogaster cornuta, it's very effective with the strobes. Of course we can't go punkin chuckin this year but I'm teaching one of our nephews how to build a catapult so maybe by next year.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Innocent Bystander wrote:We do lay in a supply of sweeties - sorry, "candy" - but it was untouched.
I can't believe you assumed we'd be OK with
"ducking for apples" and "jammy-piece", but
felt you had to clue us in on "sweeties" :)
brewerpaul wrote:I'm wearing scrubs, a surgical cap and mask. Alas, I'm on OR call on Halloween... Any blood you see on me will be real :D
Better than the ER, I guess. I hear that's
a real nuthouse on Halloween.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

I was going to go as Dr McNinja from the appropriately titled "Adventures of Dr McNinja" webcomic. Unfortunately my Halloween plans were cancelled, so no dressing up for me. Oh well, there's always next year!