What's the difference between a 4 keyed and 6 keyed flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Elfforce1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Elfforce1 »

I'm confused on the differences between a 4 keyed and a 6 keyed flute. According to http://www.woodenflute.com/playing/fingerchart they all play chromatically, except the 8 keyed flute can play the low c and c# while the other 2 can't. Does one have better tuning than the other or something? Thanks for the help.
Jonathan Zabel, email: zabel.jonathan@gmail.com
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: What's the difference between a 4 keyed and 6 keyed flute?

Post by hans »

A four key flute usually has these keys: Bb, G#, short Fnat and Eb.
A six key flute usually has in addition to the four key a Cnat and a long Fnat key.
An eight key flute has in addition the two foot keys for C# and C.
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

The difference is pretty big if, like me, you hold the flute with your fingers very flat and low. (Usually called a piper's grip). In this case, those long keys can get in the way. I've played six-keyed flutes, but much prefer four. I don't think this is the norm by any means, but I'm sure some others feel the same. So for me, four is more--plus four-keyed flutes are quite a bit cheaper with keys costing as much as $400 or more each. OTOH, I've heard people say they use those long keys quite a lot for quick passages. I wouldn't know.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

about $900.
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

A four key flute usually has these keys: Bb, G#, short Fnat and Eb.
A six key flute usually has in addition to the four key a Cnat and a long Fnat key.
Elforce1-
In case you're still wondering how the four key flute can be fully chromatic, C natural can be played on any simple-system flute without using keys. The five- or six-key flute adds a Cnat key to allow one to play the note with a stronger sound. The Cnat key can also provide a way to improve the intonation of C#. The long Fnat key provides an alternative way to play Fnat; the transitions between Fnat and some other notes, like D, and be very difficult to do smoothly with the short Fnat key. On my five-key flute (which has the Cnat key, but only the short Fnat key), I often have to tongue Fnat notes to create a small break in the sound while I shift my finger over to the Fnat key. This is a problem when I play baroque music, though it might not matter in Irish music.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

tsackett wrote:
This is a problem when I play baroque music, though it might not matter in Irish music.
In Irish music, none of the keys matter. :poke:
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Gordon wrote:
tsackett wrote:
This is a problem when I play baroque music, though it might not matter in Irish music.
In Irish music, none of the keys matter. :poke:
This is so untrue...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Elfforce1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Elfforce1 »

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.
Jonathan Zabel, email: zabel.jonathan@gmail.com
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

[quote="Othannen
In Irish music, none of the keys matter. :poke:[/quote]
This is so untrue...[/quote]

I was (mostly) joking, hence the poke emoticon, 'cause I know there are folks like you who feel otherwise, and need the occasional poke. Many threads of late imply the necessity for keys. Ten or so years ago, when I joined this forum, the opposite seemed to be the consensus, regarding ITM. Apparently, the tradition has evolved enormously in the past decade.

Now, I have nothing against keys, mind you, other than not being able to afford them, so I stay keyless, save for my cumbersome and iffy-tuning German flute, which has 11 keys I rarely if ever use. Sadly, on my keyless, I can only play about 98% of ITM.

I feel horrible...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

This may be of interest on Terry McGee's site.

Irish Flutes - Of Holes and Keys

Scroll down to "Common Groupings of Keys"
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Gordon wrote:Ten or so years ago, when I joined this forum, the opposite seemed to be the consensus, regarding ITM. Apparently, the tradition has evolved enormously in the past decade.

Now, I have nothing against keys, mind you, other than not being able to afford them, so I stay keyless, save for my cumbersome and iffy-tuning German flute, which has 11 keys I rarely if ever use. Sadly, on my keyless, I can only play about 98% of ITM.

I feel horrible...
The debate still goes on, but it doesn't exactly rage. Now, I like my keys, but then I'm also a bit of a gadget-head, simple as that. I always give a nod to the keyless camp by asserting that in ITM the primary usefulness of keys is in how they keep your flute from rolling off of the table.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

It's a 'horses for courses' kind of thing.

I too, can play about 98% of the ITM repertoire on my keyless. On my keyed German flute, (which I sold yesterday), I could play pretty much anything. The landing place for me, hopefully, will be a fully keyed flute by a superior modern maker.

He knows who he is. :poke:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Sure, you can play most of the tunes, but not being able to play a particular tune that you like because it has an F nat or G# is really irritating at least for me. Also given that I tend to particularly like this kind of tunes, so in my repertoire they are more than a mere 2%... :wink:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Othannen wrote:Sure, you can play most of the tunes, but not being able to play a particular tune that you like because it has an F nat or G# is really irritating at least for me. Also given that I tend to particularly like this kind of tunes, so in my repertoire they are more than a mere 2%... :wink:
:thumbsup:

And we won't even mention the desirability of key-venting certain notes to get them in tune/improve their strength and timbre............ which you cain't do if you hain't got the keys. I have yet to meet a keyless "Irish flute" which would not have been improved by addition and proper use of an Eb key. If I had my way, I'd ban totally keyless flutes..... rant, rant, rant.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

2 keys.

C'mon, I'm so disappointed in you guys ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.