Buying a High End Whistle recommendation request

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
addtheninth

Buying a High End Whistle recommendation request

Post by addtheninth »

Hi Folks,

I've been away from these forums for...four, almost five years now? Has it really been that long? Holy cow!

Anyways, I'm now in a position to buy a "high end" flute and was wondering what people here would recommend.

My budget is in the range of < $250

I purchased a Burke Viper D years ago and love the thing. I've been impressed with it ever since.

I now want to invest in a high-end high whistle, but there are so many options, I'm not quite sure which way to go.

Burke is my first gut choice and I've been looking at the D Brass Session DBSBT for years, but after searching around a bit, the trio combo of the WD Sweet Model Pennywhistle in Plastic appeals to me for some strange reason

(found here: http://www.sweetheartflute.com/whistles.html)

A few years ago, I picked up the Xaphoon Pocket Sax, a tiny saxaphone-sounding instrument that is made of (what I believe) the same material these flutes are made of. I love the thing. It's durability and resonance are second to none. My hope is that the plastic Sweet has the same qualities, and the idea of the fife head appeals to my flutist side as well.

Has anyone played one of these before? Any other recommendations in this price-range?

Thanks ahead of time for your input.
R Small
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Buying a High End Whistle recommendation request

Post by R Small »

I haven't played a Burke but I have a WD Sweet. Very nice whistle. Good intonation. Plenty of volume so it's good for sessions. Strong first octave. Easy response in the second octave and even up into the third. Nice sound for a plastic whistle; sweeter than Susato. Never clogs. Being plastic it's not much affected by the weather. Only negative: due to the wide windway it does take some air. You might have to take breaths more frequently than on some other whistles but once you get used to it it feels pretty comfortable.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

addtheninth wrote:I purchased a Burke Viper D years ago and love the thing. I've been impressed with it ever since.
I now want to invest in a high-end high whistle, but there are so many options, I'm not quite sure which way to go.
Burke is my first gut choice and I've been looking at the D Brass Session DBSBT for years,
Go with your gut. Buy the Burke. You won't regret it.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

I've sent high-end whistles back, but never a Burke. Go for the aluminum, a much better sound.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Magickdancer

Post by Magickdancer »

So... I guess a wooden whistle is completely out of the question? Just putting it out there... the sound is beautiful.

Kristen :thumbsup:
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Magickdancer wrote:So... I guess a wooden whistle is completely out of the question?
I woodn't say no...
R Small

Post by R Small »

It's pine with me if it's oakay with yew.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

This is such a subjective topic. The price range you've stated offers you many choices though.

I wouldn't argue with the Burke choice at all though the choice between composite, brass and aluminum is really a personal choice. I have all of them and each has it's own merits. The Sweet is similar in tone but much louder. I don't own every whistle made but the Sweet Delrin that I recently sold was the loudest whistle I've heard and I do own some very loud instruments. It is well made as and in tune with itself and the world.

I do own a plastic xaphoon and I don't know how you'd compare them to a whistle. The Sweet Delrin is much thicker and I wouldn't describe it as particularly resonant. The composite Burke however is very resonant.

If you're interested in Delrin, Tommy Dion makes a really nice delrin model for quite a bit less money than the Burke, about the same price as the Sweet if I recall correctly. It's pure sounding but not nearly as loud as the Sweet. It's not quiet either but the Sweet is overwhelmingly loud to me unless one plays outdoors a lot.

You can't go wrong with a Busman Delrin or wood whistle either. It's right about at the top of your price range but they are as good as you can buy from anyone.

Good luck with your decision.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

@addtheninth: Hi, can you give more information about what you are looking for in a high whistle? Loudness, sweetness, breathyness, responsiveness, chiff (transient sound when a note begins to speak) powerful bottom end, easy top end, third octave capabilities, easy blower, hard blower, beak shape?? Any material preferences, how tough?

The Xaphoon is made of ABS plastic via injection moulding, same as Susato whistles. The Sweet is made of acetale (Delrin) and turned I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong here!). Two very different kinds of plastic and manufacturing processes.

If toughness is important, how tough does it need to be?
I don't know if there is any whistle which can withstand a drop onto a stone floor without showing some mark. Some might break. Some will show a mark or dent but are perfectly playable. If it falls on the beak it may be more irritating and may need sanding to remove sharpness of a mark.
Some whistles will withstand being stood on/ sat on. Others will squash or crack. Is that something to consider? I think I've never seen a toughness discussion on this forum, maybe something to do in its own topic?

@ecohawk: I suppose you mean resonance of the material, not of the tone. Why do you think resonance of the material is an important factor, and what does it mean exactly? When you knock on the body it rings? Does it have any bearing on how it sounds?
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

hans wrote:The Sweet is made of acetale (Delrin) and turned I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong here!).
Think it's polycarbonate head and acetal body but, yes, turned. Haven't got one (getting cagey about buying these things without trying!), but was quite tempted when I first saw it.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

You really can't go wrong with a Burke. That said, though, after playing hundreds of whistles, including Copeland, Abell, O'Riordan, etc., my favorite soprano D whistle over the last several years is the Sindt.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

I haven't checked in here lately, but I have a WD Sweet high D. I love it. I play in church and it is in tune with itself and the other instruments, loud enough to carry well, and sweeter sounding (to my ear) than any of the other whistles I have played. I had a Burke for awhile, but it just didn't appeal to me the way this little delrin whistle does. Walt does beautiful work.

Deb
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

wyodeb wrote:I have a WD Sweet high D. I love it. I play in church and it is in tune with itself and the other instruments, loud enough to carry well, and sweeter sounding (to my ear) than any of the other whistles I have played. I had a Burke for awhile, but it just didn't appeal to me the way this little delrin whistle does. Walt does beautiful work.
I hadn't heard of these so I went to the website. I think they sound great. I was really intrigued so I recorded myself playing Ore Valsen on my MK Low D so I could compare with his recording on his Low D. His sounds very much like a flute. It sounded totally different than mine. I like my MK Low D sound but if one is looking for a flute sound I think the WD Sweet Onyx would be a good choice.

I then listened to his flute recordings and recorded my own Fanny Power to compare with his. It was very interesting to hear the difference between my low D and a flute. One thing I really noticed is when I hit the high notes I had to play louder and opposite for the low notes, but on his recording the volume looks pretty constant throughout.

It was a fun comparison and I think WD Sweet makes really nice instruments.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

cunparis wrote:I then listened to his flute recordings and recorded my own Fanny Power to compare with his. It was very interesting to hear the difference between my low D and a flute. One thing I really noticed is when I hit the high notes I had to play louder and opposite for the low notes, but on his recording the volume looks pretty constant throughout.
That's the nature of the beast. On an air-reed instrument, there are two basic ways to get to a higher register: blow faster, and reduce the distance the jet travels. A flute player can use both, but whistle players can use only the first. While there may be advanced techniques (that I haven't learned yet), and whistle designs, that reduce the amount of difference, faster generally means harder and louder.
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

I also have his low D. The main consideration there is comfort and the ability to cover the holes with my skinny fingers. I had a Reyburn, but I couldn't get the holes covered, even with piper's grip. It aggravated my arthritis and was generally not fun for me to play. The more I get to know the Onyx, the better I like it.

Deb