My long lost dad, the woodenflute player

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

My long lost dad, the woodenflute player

Post by s1m0n »

I'm an adoptee, and only this summer I managed to find my birth mother after 46 years apart. She told me the name of my father, and a couple of weeks ago I contacted him. He sent me a DVD of a documentary film he'd made in the 70s about his solo voyage around the world.

At one point in it, there's some familiar-sounding music, and then the film cuts to him playing what is either a bansuri or a keyless wooden flute. I didn't recognize the tune but his voyage began in Brittany and while it doesn't sound like a breton dance tune it could easily be the melody of a breton or french folksong.
Last edited by s1m0n on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: My long lost dad, the woodenflute player

Post by Nanohedron »

What a discovery that must be!

I have my granddad's fiddle - unplayable now and hanging on the wall - but I never heard him play it when he was alive. He was born and grew up in New Brunswick, so I can entertain guesses as to what kind of music he played, but since as a youngster I never thought to ask, and on later inquiry Mom couldn't tell me, I'll never know, and guesses are all they'll ever be. You have a treasure, there.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Thanks for sharing, Simon.
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by weedie »

Finding your long lost Mum must be a fantastic thing to happen to a fellow....congratulations Simon,you must be very happy.
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

That is so cool and interesting. This would make for a fascinating Nature vs. Nurture study paper.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Denny

Post by Denny »

That is interesting.

Congrats on being able to find both of them. My first wife and her brother managed three out of the four.

Will you be able to ask him about the flute and tune?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Nice.
After taking the flute I discovered that my great grandfather was a professional flute player in some orchestra in Sicily. I've no idea though if he played Boehm or simple system, wooden or metal...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, thanks for sharing Simon. I found my dad after 56 years, so I can understand you're going through some changes, and there is a lot to take in and understand. All the best.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

That was sweet.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Astonishing. Good luck in getting grounded with your new found relationships.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Lar

Post by Lar »

Friend of mine, a tremendous guitar and wooden flute player, found his birth mother and two half-brothers a couple of years ago.
They had never met, and he had no idea even that he had siblings.
Turns out his half brother is also a guitar player, as well as builder of high-end guitars. Reckon its in the genes.
Larry Mallette
'Til Time Is No More
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Here's a screengrab. Just in case anyone doubted it really was the 70s. And for the record, I'm a few years older now than he was then, and have more more hair but less beard. And I've never once sailed around the world.

If anyone recognises him, please keep it under your hat. I'm not trying to out him here.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
oldflutefan

Post by oldflutefan »

Hey Simon-
There's a lot of us out there.
I found my birth Dad when I was 42. It's distinctly wierd, having an adult-only relationship with someone when there is so much in common.
I'm one of those who takes genetically very much after one parent, and it's him- I am now convinced from personal experience that not only physical traits are heritable, but all the rest, too- temperament, taste, habit-tendancies.
He is a restorer of antique furniture. When we first met in the flesh, it was disconcerting to see him picking at his thumb in exactly the same way I have always done. He hums about the palce as I do, and mutters explosively :swear: (when a drawer sticks or something) using the same words, even. Loves music, sings, cooks......supresses wobbles-
It is both reassuring, and lovely, and slightly odd. Would not give it a thought if he had brought me up.He and I had radically different upbringings; I am pretty different from my adoptive family. Nature Rocks. :o
'Let a wise man remove impurities from his playing
as a silversmith removes impurities from the silver;
One after one, little by little, again and again.'

Dhammapada (paraphrased....)