Can someone define "sweetness"?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

And no, I refuse to run a search! LOL!

I think I know what you all are referring to when you say one whistle is "sweeter" than another, but what does that really mean? Fuller sounding? More chiffy? Less chiffy? I was just wondering!

Robin
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm willing to bet this is another thing that will be highly subjective :wink:

That said, when I use the term "sweet," I mean a clear, rich tone...one that makes you want to hang onto those long notes. Little or no chiff, no "breathiness," no buzz or strongly distracting overtones.

Redwolf
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'm with you on 'subjectiveness' Wolf. . .

I describe a whistle as 'sweet' if the tone is pure (lack of overtones), not terribly loud especially in the upper register. I don't usually use the word 'rich' with it...to me that impiles a more complex sound than a simple, 'sweet' sound.

I might add that I think sweetness is also a factor of how an instrument plays...lack of backpressure, less breath. I've never consciously thought of that before, but its definitely part of the whistles I call sweet. 'Good natured' might be an apt phrase.

Tartan Ball tonight...so The Cat's getting tarted up. . .no sweetness here tonight! Time to start the prep....bye!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
chas

Post by chas »

I'm probably one of those more guilty of using the word sweet to describe whistle sound. Of course, I use it because I can't think of another term for what I want to describe. I would say that it's distinct from chiff, full, and, to some extent pure.

Some pure sounding whistles are Rose, Susato, Burke Al, and Silkstone alloy. Of these I would say the first two are sweet sounding, the latter two, not. I would also call the D and E Water Weasels sweet.

Some more examples: I would call the vibrophone sweet, but not the marimba; the pianoforte but not the modern piano; the celesta.

As Redwolf said, definitely subjective, but it's nice to know what some of the frequent contributors mean, should be a very interesting thread.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Sweetness: Dead, lack of charicter, no guts, unable to project emotion, frivolous and safe. :grin:
Well you said it was subjective.
I hate sweet.

Tom
madguy

Post by madguy »

Sweetness = Walter Payton. :grin:

~Larry
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

It's hard to define, but you know when you hear it.

I have a chieftain sop'D that has a 'wide, rich' sound, especially in the lower octave.
Compared to the chieftain's upper octave my Dixon sop' D is sweeter, but narrower!

I know that doesn't help much Image
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
elendil

Post by elendil »

tyghress, i agree with the purity part of your definition, but i think that the presence of at least some overtones, in the technical sense, is actually a good things. lack of overtones results in a thin sound without 'character': maybe another thread? i think i know what you mean. anyway, what you say, to me, applies very well to the sweetheart professional. as i keep mentioning, i've got the laminate version and i'm crazy about it. i just read your extremely interesting thread on it--lots of good information and your analysis of it hit the nail on the head (or as jeeves would say: rem acu tetigisti.). i think the sweet's deserve a lot of credit for developing a remarkable instrument, one with wonderful purity of tone and sweetness, but with character, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tinuviel on 2003-03-01 16:17 ]</font>
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-03-01 15:16, Blackbeer wrote:
Sweetness: Dead, lack of charicter, no guts, unable to project emotion, frivolous and safe. :grin:
Well you said it was subjective.
I hate sweet.

Tom
That's actually why I added "rich" to my definition. I like some overtones (they add character...that's the timbre I keep talking about with my Elfsong). Perhaps there are subcategories to "sweet"...I would define both my O Briain improved and my Elfsong as "pure," but the Elfsong definitely has more tonal character and "expressibility."

Redwolf
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm mostly with Tyghress here. I might define it concisely as the opposite of "edgy."
serpent

Post by serpent »

Sweet whistle == Elfsong
Chiffy whistle == Serpent Village Smithy
In-between whistle == Brass or Copper Serpent

http://www.serpentmusic.com/music/countydownvs.mp3 to hear the chiffy. Sandy Jasper's site http://www.elfsongwhistles.com to hear the sweet.

I like both voices, but for different sorts of music. And I'm dying to get my hands on my new Busman D!!! :grin:
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Well, defining "sweetness" is sort of like asking someone to define "green". Go ahead, how would you define it? :smile:

I think of sweetness as having a relatively pure tone, with a soft roundness to it. ie, little to no chiff, and no shrillness.

Of my own whistles, I would say my Dixon high-D is the sweetest.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Again, the pragmatic answer: green is the electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum with a wavelength of 5770-4920 Angstroms .

But again, Lewis Carroll had it right, "When I use a word, it means exactly what I intend it to mean."

Jorge Luis Borges

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2003-03-02 12:58 ]</font>
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Yeah, like I said, I'm with Tyg.

Philo
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

:lol:

Oh, and I wanted to post a response to you Tinuviel...I don't want to say that overtones are good or bad...they simply exist or don't. When I'm playing certain tunes and certain tones, a complexity of sound is important: I want the overtones. Other times I look for a purer sound...something that reminds me of a tuning fork rather than an organ pipe.

Just as back pressure isn't good or bad, its very much a matter of taste. For me, I don't like it much in a soprano instrument, but need a certain amount in the lower keys or I run out of breath too soon. Some people really like to 'lay into' a tune (Blackbeer...does this ring true?) and want to push at the instrument.
Jorge Luis Borges

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2003-03-02 13:29 ]</font>