My latest eBay Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

My latest eBay Flute

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
It has been a while since I posted a new restoration...
This is a flute by C Peloubet, who made flutes in New Jersey back around 1845.
The head is replacement Ivory, as the original Ivory was unrepairable.
Classic American flute, small holed but with a big tone. The nice thing about the American flutes, no flat foot! Even has the original purse pads! (beats sewing up new ones...)
The embouchure is a copy of the original, 11.9x 10.1 mm
Special thanks to Jem for directing me to it! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: My latest eBay Flute

Post by kkrell »

Another flute by C Peloubet currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270828107083
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

That looks really beautiful Jon!

I bought one off a fabulous member on the forum here. It's not as pretty as yours, but it makes a beautiful sound.

Was it hard to get a replacement head for it?

Ivory is banned in parts of the world like where I live lol.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Nice work Jon, as usual. I've got a new antique coming to me for restoration as well, and the quality of your renovations is the target I aspire to. Any chance of posting a "before" shot so we can see what you had to deal with?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
paddler

Post by paddler »

Damn! You beat me out on that one. I knew it was a good one. Beautiful job repairing it. If I'd won it I probably would have sent it to you to work on anyway, so you'd have won either way! ;)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:Another flute by C Peloubet currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270828107083
Yes, I was going to bid on that one, but that would just be greedy... :moreevil: this Peloubet is about 200 flutes earlier, the serial number is 606...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

James_Alto wrote:That looks really beautiful Jon!

I bought one off a fabulous member on the forum here. It's not as pretty as yours, but it makes a beautiful sound.

Was it hard to get a replacement head for it?

Ivory is banned in parts of the world like where I live lol.
The head is made from "replacement ivory" it is a polyester resin, that has the same look and feel. It wasn't hard to get a replacement head as I made this one... :D
Michael Flatley

Jon
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Jon C. wrote: The head is made from "replacement ivory" it is a polyester resin, that has the same look and feel.

:thumbsup: nice nice nice job! (as always.....:))
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

here is the "before photo" so you can see what I had to deal with... two cracks in the ivory head not shown (typical eBay practice!) :swear: Broken long F block, missing guide blocks, cracked barrel, not shown... (ditto) :swear: Funny they had put the lower section in the wrong slot in the case, you can see the slot for the long F in the upper right hand corner, duh...
I believe the keys and rings are coin silver, but I have not acid tested them. The coin silver has a higher copper level then sterling, so you still get the green patina.
Michael Flatley

Jon
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Slightly off-topic: Have you ever found and un-cracked ivory head?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Congratulations, Jon, on your nice reconstruction work on the Peloubet flute. The before and after photos pretty much tell the tale, but, as you say, the real challenges were not revealed in the ebay auction photos. I think that Chabrier, if he were alive today, would approve of your work.

As an aside, would the polyester resin be good for making a whole flute? How does it compare with Delrin?
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Congratulations, Jon, on your nice reconstruction work on the Peloubet flute. The before and after photos pretty much tell the tale, but, as you say, the real challenges were not revealed in the ebay auction photos. I think that Chabrier, if he were alive today, would approve of your work.

As an aside, would the polyester resin be good for making a whole flute? How does it compare with Delrin?
Replacement ivory tends to be a little brittle, not unlike elephant ivory, but it does not have the tensil strength and resilience as you find with delrin. The tenons would be a problem, and would need external reinforcement. It cracks easier when drilling with a gun drill. The material works great when it is a lined head, as it gives it backing. That said, Rod Cameron has made lovely replicas of Baroque flutes out of replacement ivory, it just takes some finessing...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Absolutely beautiful, Jon! Congratulations.

And like Bob, I wonder if there's an uncracked original ivory head anywhere in existence. Anyone ever seen such a bird?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I did once. It was unlined, of course, an almost absolutely pristine all-ivory late Baroque flute (I can't recall the maker's name, if there was one). I met it on a visit to the late Paul Davies. It was a truly fabulous instrument.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Even my unlined Pfaff flute that has a head and barrel in beautifully worked ivory is cracked... Ivory reacts a lot more to humidity difference then wood. I imagine if the flute remained in England, at a constant 60% humidity, it might remain in tact.
Michael Flatley

Jon