And the award for World's Ugliest Flute goes to....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: And the award for World's Ugliest Flute goes to....

Post by Akiba »

jemtheflute wrote:
Jim Stone wrote:I think Sweetheart flutes look good enough and sound better and are a great value. I've played
lots of em, own several (especially in higher keys) and think they have the elegance of
woody simplicity.
Julia Delaney wrote:Seconded.
Dissented from... (whistles as well as flutes). Whenever I've tried them out (in shops/at festival stalls/other people's), I've always thought them, especially the older ones, unattractive at best, relatively crudely made and of little musical utility - until some significant improvement in some models in very recent years. I certainly would never have bought any of the older ones and haven't been particularly impressed by more recent ones, save for surprise at the marked improvement, which has reached a point where I might not actively advise against some of them if asked for an opinion, though I think there are better things available in the same price ranges.

While dishing out opinions, I too think the McCarty ash flute which is the main subject here is rather ugly - and would be even uglier as a table leg than as a flute!

P.S. I hadn't pegged my old friend Ben as such a leg man! Funny what he turns up! (Hollow laugh??? ;-))
Hmm...now which flute maker will I go after next and call his work the ugliest pieces of sh*te ever to come off a lathe? Oh, this should be a whole lot of fun. :thumbsup:

PS I think Sweetheart flutes are just fine for what they are. Have liked quite a few. Not pro quality, but fun and certainly, to me, not ugly.
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

Let's just start calling flute makers ugly.

Hey, Theobald, if my dog had a face like yours I'd shave his butt and teach him to walk backwards.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

ImageImage
Are you sure you're not related? Two such shark-fin noses cannot be coincidence.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

This is an ugly thread.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

Are you sure you're not related? Two such shark-fin noses cannot be coincidence.
So much for dark family secrets.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Two flute auctions placed side by side on ebay tonight is very interesting with regard to this thread, in my mind, at least.
ebay ad 1
ebay ad 2

On his ebay ad Eric McCarty writes: "I have added some nice details to this flute while on the lathe which make it a one of a kind work of art."
Since the beginning of time, buy and sell is the name of the game.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

I wonder what they mean by "Brass-Chromed Rings".....
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'd at least give the smooth flute a speculative toot if confronted by it, but I wouldn't touch the one with the carefully pre-weakened barrel if you paid me. A flute with that many grooves in the body is either too weak or too heavy. Or most likely both.

A maker with so little understanding of strength, weight & design in the instrument he's trying to make professionally does little to inspire faith in his command of any other aspect of flute design.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Two flute auctions placed side by side on ebay tonight is very interesting with regard to this thread, in my mind, at least.
ebay ad 1
ebay ad 2

On his ebay ad Eric McCarty writes: "I have added some nice details to this flute while on the lathe which make it a one of a kind work of art."
Since the beginning of time, buy and sell is the name of the game.
Here is another one from McCarty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120743045779#ht_3731wt_982
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Can't beat that cacus.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Can't beat that cacus

NEW SOLID CACUS WOOD IRISH CELTIC FIFE FLUTE KEY D + WOOD CASE

Maybe from the Greek: να κάνουν κακά -- kaka?
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I reckon they've missed out a 't'. I think they might have meant "cactus wood". Lightweight, sturdy ... it could be ...
Denny

Post by Denny »

greatbasinfolkinstruments wrote:Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions
akronmusic wrote:Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions
cousins?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cocus sapwood is light-colored like that, so without testing or other expertise, whether or not it's actual cocus must be a matter of conjecture. Cocus heartwood is the beautiful dark wood so prized for instrument making, and what I usually associate with the name. I know a fellow who bought a flute much like the Cacus ( :wink: ) example, probably the very same make itself, by the look of it. Positively screamed Pakistani. I'd never seen light-colored cocus before, so I was dubious. Came to him with the cork rudely out of position, too. Once that was fixed, for what it was and where I'm convinced it came from, I must confess it was actually better than I'd previously come across, but it still had intonation issues. Tone wasn't too bad at all, if you dragged it out with a tow truck.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

I think the item decription is ebay's work, you'll find the same thing on any item decribed by the vendor as new.
Just checked and that is the case.
Last edited by Dominic Allan on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Just what I was going to say, Dominic. That is one of the standard item condition definitions provided by eBay itself. They changed recently.