Pipes, fabrication standards

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MattMads
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Pipes, fabrication standards

Post by MattMads »

As a newbie to piping, I was wondering if there is a set of fabrication standards for bags, bellows, chanters drones. In other words will one makers bag receive another's chanter, bellows? Are the connections standard in north America and UK?
tbjack

Re: Pipes, fabrication standards

Post by tbjack »

Standardisation in uilleann pipes - now that is a novel idea.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

MattMads wrote:Are the connections standard in north America and UK?
No, nor in Ireland. There's always a good chance that things will fit together, or can be made to fit, but no guarantees.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The majority of makers make a bag/chanter connection at something around 3/8".
PJ
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

Thank-you for asking a question that I didn't really dare to ask, because I don't know much about piping yet.

But since we're here now, allow me to elaborate a little on the original question:

So OK, the size of the bag opening for the chanter stock is about 3/8". Next, is there any common size for the stock to windcap connection? And for connecting the windcap to the chanter proper? Because I see a lot of people selling separate chanters here, or separate bags-with-stocks, so I'm curious as to how they expect the buyer to assemble parts from different sources.

The same questions apply to the drones and regulators: are drone stock cups, stocks and individual drones and regulators to a certain amount interchangeable?

It feels quite like a newbie / FAQ question, but I do like to browse the internet a bit, and haven't found an answer yet.
MattMads

Post by MattMads »

Well it sounds like it is up to the maker. I would have thought that there might have been some kind of convention. Thanks for the replies.
Matt
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

pflipp wrote:So OK, the size of the bag opening for the chanter stock is about 3/8".
I didn't write that. I wrote that the majority of makers use something about 3/8". Meaning that the air-intake on the chanter top will be of approx. 3/8" brass, but will be wrapped in waxed threat to make it fit snugly into the chanter stock on the bag.
pflipp wrote:Next, is there any common size for the stock to windcap connection?
This is what I was referring to, so see above.
pflipp wrote:And for connecting the windcap to the chanter proper?
This varies more than the chanter stock/air intake. I've seen it vary from 15 to 17 mm.
pflipp wrote:The same questions apply to the drones and regulators: are drone stock cups, stocks and individual drones and regulators to a certain amount interchangeable?
I don't know of any "standard" used by pipemakers for either mainstock cups or for drones/regulators. You'll frequently hear that someone has put regulators by maker X with drones (and stock) by maker Y but I imagine that maker X would have checked the dimentions of the stock.
PJ
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

Oh, right, I get it now. I should have guessed it from the given size alone, but I'm not so good with fractions of inches. Never mind!
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

another project for a worldwide ISO-Standard: interchangeable reeds where ever you stay in the world! Go to a pipes-workshop and buy a reed that fits regarding diameter of staple, lenght, width and cane, unique for all chanters! Same for bag & bellow-joints, chanter connection to bag! How nice would it be to test a chanter with standardized pressure! And what about cane: may the spanish cane be EN-standardised!

What about these measurements in international Millimeters instead of inches? Who uses still inches, pounds, gallons and feet?
Christian Tietje
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Christian Tietje wrote:another project for a worldwide ISO-Standard: interchangeable reeds where ever you stay in the world! Go to a pipes-workshop and buy a reed that fits regarding diameter of staple, lenght, width and cane, unique for all chanters!
Once all humans have been standardised,then there maybe a chance.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ

Post by PJ »

Christian Tietje wrote:another project for a worldwide ISO-Standard: interchangeable reeds
I think we're more likely to see World Peace and a unified field theory first.
PJ
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Until then, the world makes do with Teflon tape and waxed hemp :thumbsup:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Right-on Cat! here's to the H.E.M.P. standard...

Have
Enough
Material &
Patience
I'm on it...
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Very much in the vein of the old Midas Muffler commercial:"We''ll make it fit!"
If the teflon and hemp don't work, get a BFH (Big Frapping Hammer).!
If that doesn't do it, get a bigger hammer.
And finally, if that doesn't work, get a Porta-Power. . . :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

The conception of interchangeable reeds seems to have existed in the "flat-system". All flat chanters (Bb, B, C, C#, NBD) use a fairly similiar taper and (normally) all "flatreeds" are (without bigger modifications) fairly easily interchangeable (a flatreed quite often works in the whole "flat-family" of chanters - e. g. Bb AND NBD). There are exeptions, though. For sure - with the invention of CP these exeptions have become standardized :D .