Pics of my John Gallagher Large Holed Rudall...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Pics of my John Gallagher Large Holed Rudall...

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Here's some pics of my John Gallagher large holed Rudall, the first (large hole)one ever made. I had played an antique Rudall in his shop that was to die for and he made me a copy more or less, with some refinements to bring it up to modern standards. I opted for lined keyways, and he was able to make me a footjoint that appears to be pewter plugs but is actually padded. The result is a flute that is quite possibly the best I have ever set my hands on. Not only does it honk on D, it also does on low C, E, F, and G as well. The upper octave is really sweet, lots of bounciness and character. Tuning is spot on, mechanics of the keys are the best I have seen, and this thing is extremely balanced in weight and in sound. As far as power goes, it makes my ears ring, so that's probably good enough :P I really loved John's work and he really went over the top with this flute. At some point I'll try to get a video or sound byte up of it.
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Pics of my John Gallagher Large Holed Rudall...

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Really really nice looking flute, as beautiful as the antiques. Is there a reason why the tuning slide is covered with wood?
I think I'll buy one, when I have the money... I sent John an email a few weeks ago, he said that this flute is just as loud as his Pratten despite the smaller bore. Cool. :)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

I got the chance to play one of John's flutes with the new Rudall design last weekend. Looked nearly identical to this one. It was a lovely flute. I was really impressed.

B
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I watched Ivan Goff test this flute at Augusta - sure seemed nice! John is a super maker.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

I got the chance to play one of John's flutes with the new Rudall design last weekend. Looked nearly identical to this one. It was a lovely flute. I was really impressed.

B
That would have been my flute, it was with John last week. He was tweaking the G# key and short F as per my taste. Glad you finally got a chance to try it out. It's had the chance to be played by quite a few flute players now, John's very proud of this one and has every reason to be.
eilam

Post by eilam »

wow !!! amazing. i love John's work.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Pretty flute, I agree. I visited the Indianapolis Museum of Art yesterday. I noticed that the Vincent Van Gogh painting was only signed once, and not in every corner.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Oh, that looks gorgeous! Just as I was starting to feel satisfied with my flutes! :swear:
I'm looking forward to hearing it!
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Pretty flute, I agree. I visited the Indianapolis Museum of Art yesterday. I noticed that the Vincent Van Gogh painting was only signed once, and not in every corner.
I doubt the painting comes apart into 4 pieces and fits into a nifty case. Can't speak for all antique flutes but I know the Rudall, Hawkes, and Boosey I once owned were stamped on all sections.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:
I doubt the painting comes apart into 4 pieces and fits into a nifty case. Can't speak for all antique flutes but I know the Rudall, Hawkes, and Boosey I once owned were stamped on all sections.
Yes, I know. But at 2am I just want to be a trouble-maker. Enjoy your new flute.
Michel

Post by Michel »

nifty looking flute. I would love to try one. He's a fantastic flutemaker. Feck I would probably have to order one...
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Oh my God!!! Strangled tenons. Doesn't he know any better? Somebody should set him straight.

(not - of course it's a lovely flute)
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Oooooh, saucer of milk for Doug! And another for David :)

Never played one of John's, but it certainly LOOKS great - something nice about a 2 piece body (says the guy with the 1 piece Cotter) I reckon.

m.d.
yellowhistler

Post by yellowhistler »

Superb attention to detail on that flute. Looks amazing! Can't imagine it not sounding amazing as well. Where's that clip!? :poke:

I've never seen fake pewter plugs with pads before, conversions sure but never ones purposly made, cool idea, very sneeky!
Is there a reason why the tuning slide is covered with wood?
I believe it's sort of a trademark of his. All John Gallagher flutes I've seen have had their outer slide covered with wood.

Enjoy your new flute, its a beaut! :thumbsup:
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

That flute is gorgeous and it proves once again that he is one of the top makers out there. It is mystery to me that he is not better known.